Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
7,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What brand of pads and rotors do you guys use. I have new NAPA pads and rotors all the way around. Every once in a while I can smell the pads. Haven't gotten any brake fade.

Wondering if there's a better alternative them what I'm using.

Thanks, NYH1.

· Registered
7,298 Posts
Personally, I think that OEM pads and rotors work best. Ive used Raybestos, Wagner, Bosch, AC Delco, and the cheapo store brands, and depending on which vehicle they were used on, had varied results.

My Toyota's , both have returned to using Toyota pads and rotors, as any other brand I've used had excessive brake dust, rotor warping, or brake squeal. Dust and squeal, I'm able to live with, but the rotor warping, I just can't. It, to me, increases stopping distances, and. Feels unsafe. Toyota has separate shims sold that go with their pads, eliminating contact.

Wagner pads and rotors on the dodge work well, as their high end stuff has integral molded shims on the pads surface, separating the caliper from metal contact of the pad itself, stopping any squeals. Oem pads and rotors are NLA from Dodge, and no option there anyway.

I qould inspect and replace the calipers hoses and glides if I found them compromised in any way.

· Registered
17,198 Posts
Do you really think the mfg’s
Make the “factory original” brake pads
Or is it contracted out ?

Also, there is a big difference in quality
Depending if you go cheap or pay for the top of the line pads.

Like warping rotors from China...

· Registered
7,298 Posts
Do you really think the mfg's
Make the "factory original" brake pads
Or is it contracted out ?

Also, there is a big difference in quality
Depending if you go cheap or pay for the top of the line pads.

Like warping rotors from China...
The oem pads are made to the spec that manufacturers dictate, copper, carbon, aluminum, and other proprietary ingredients. I'm sure they are subbed out. The subs are most likely to adhere to,the tolerances, and guidelines for,fear of,losing the contract with millions of dollars of sales .
The rotors IMO, unfortunately, are a product of our demand for cheap products. Every Chinese rotor I've ever installed warped or rusted out well before any Oem rotor or drum ever did, specifically from the inside,out.

This is why I went back to Toyota Oem pads and rotors, because, they last longer, Perform better, and are actually made in Japan.

If I could actually find made in US drums or rotors, I would pay the associated premium for them.

· Registered
17,198 Posts
OEM brake pads are the worst dust generators Of any pad I’ve ever had on Toyota’s, Jeep,
Ford or dodge.
cheap pads wear out quickly so I guess you get what you pay for so if you buy the expensive pads they don’t leave dust and they last longer.

As to the OEMpads being made to spec’s I’m sure they are but there are only so many ingredients used to make brake pads

I’ve used Chinese rotors and I don’t blame them for warping, necessarily....

Warping is from operator error, most of the time.

· Registered
7,298 Posts
Lots of factors dictate how long rotors or drums last, so we agree

I can't get my Dodge drums to last more than 3 to 4 years, as they peel apart like an onion, due to the poor metal composition. They're not "heating up" and failing. They're rotting from the inside out.

My original drums lasted 16 years, a,d I only replaced them due to thinning brake surface from the super hard metallic shoes I used, thinking I was doing myself good

· Registered
3,526 Posts
now the real story...i buy napa premium pads and rotors, and have very good luck with them....during a hub change one side the pads were just about wore out, other side looked good, changed the pads with new hd ceramic, wondered if it was a caliper issue as it pressed back in funky, didnt take long to find out, caliper was bad, wasted the pads($75)...remember to change the hose when changing a caliper

· Registered
7,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've had this same issue with from day one (while plowing that is) with the factory brakes. I got 36k miles and 3 full plow seasons from my factory brakes. The new pads and rotors have about 2k miles on them.

I can drive it all day long while not plowing and have no issues, even up and down the hills in the Adirondacks. I usually don't have any trouble while plowing. However, if I do 10 to 12 driveways one right after another, I'll smell them.

Nothing was sticking/hanging up when I/we took them apart. Only replaced the brakes because they were pretty worn down. Lubed all the moving parts. I want to replace the pads as soon as plow season is over and while my rotors are still in really good shape.

Thanks to all, NYH1.

· Registered
7,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh yeah, I forgot to ask. What brand/type of lube do you guys use on the moving parts on your brakes/calipers? Also, do you use any anti-squeal paste on your pads?

Thanks, NYH1.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.