jetjestor

How it looks.

Attachments

• 20210829_174250.jpg
    20210829_174250.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 36

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
In hind sight, you could've bought one of those long horns they mount on trucks out west and mounted your lights to it.
Not sure what welding rods you use on horns though.

Maybe this will help

OP
J

jetjestor

Now be nice, no laughing lol. Just made it out scrap. Hopefully it works didn't want to spend much time on it.

Attachments

• 20210908_203035.jpg
    20210908_203035.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 14
OP
J

jetjestor

Here a question having nothing to do with my plow build. How many of you guys had you lift cylinder tube crack in half on your new style plows? I didn't know this was a thing. Till watch a YouTube video. And a guy has broken few out his fleet. I watched him weld it up. See that it blow a hole in it as he welded. So just from that I tell you. They should have put weep hole in the sides. To keep the rusting down on the inside. Plus they should spray something kind of rust protection in it. For your spending on these plows. When I made my light bar. It all weld up but I did drill four deep hole in it. Just to make sure it last as long it can. My plow will likely out live my truck.

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
Here a question having nothing to do with my plow build. How many of you guys had you lift cylinder tube crack in half on your new style plows? I didn't know this was a thing. Till watch a YouTube video.

I've seen it - I wouldn't call it common but it happens. From my discussions with customers, it seems to be from hard impacts with the plow not in float. It's most common with operators unfamiliar with a direct piston lift, coming from a chain lift previously, where the plow will always raise up on the chain even if not in "float." The direct piston lift will not. Whack something hard enough with the cylinder locked and it'll bend that bar.

And a guy has broken few out his fleet. I watched him weld it up. See that it blow a hole in it as he welded. So just from that I tell you. They should have put weep hole in the sides. To keep the rusting down on the inside. Plus they should spray something kind of rust protection in it. For your spending on these plows. When I made my light bar. It all weld up but I did drill four deep hole in it. Just to make sure it last as long it can. My plow will likely out live my truck.

I assume this is the video you are referring to:

So, BOSS should have put weep holes in there so that when some guy on YouTube welded the sealed tube later, it wouldn't break? Am I following that correct?

Well, they do print right on the side of spray paint cans not to dispose of them in a fire because morons will do that, so I guess I can see that argument. I'll send the BOSS legal team an email and tell them they need to put a warning sticker there. I'll tell them to also advise people not to drink the plow fluid should they get thirsty while welding.

OP
J

jetjestor

Yeap, that's the video. They still in my opinion put holes in the ends. So inside the tube can air. So condensation has chance to dry. (Science, I know people don't like it and ignore it.) I've had to replace sections of trailer frame for someone. Why cause of that very reason no weep holes. (tube frame) I don't care for this throw away world we live in. It's very sad. People have no skills anymore.

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
Yeap, that's the video. They still in my opinion put holes in the ends. So inside the tube can air. So condensation has chance to dry. (Science, I know people don't like it and ignore it.) I've had to replace sections of trailer frame for someone. Why cause of that very reason no weep holes. (tube frame) I don't care for this throw away world we live in. It's very sad. People have no skills anymore.
You are rebuilding a plow that's old enough to vote, drink, and probably rent a car. Just how much longer do you feel it should have lasted before needing repairs? 3 decades? 4? Should it have survived from the Civil War era?

Top Forums