Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to site. We added a snow & ice division this year to our services. Bought some new and used boss v plows. I have one with an electrical issue. The v plow stays in the down position or up positions and wont move. Hydraulics are fine.... pump & motor are solid. Hydraulic fluid is fine. Plow lights sometimes work and sometimes don't. It'll work fine for an hour or hours on end.... but when my guy dropped the plow down the other day.... he couldn't get it back up. The solenoid for the plow has been replaced.... if we jump point to point... the motor will run and the controller will control the plow fine. But the plow lights still don't work. If we dont jump point to point on the solenoid.... the controller will not control the plow at all. It's a boss rt3 v plow with sl2 lights. Please help!

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grounds all good?
Where would all grounds be attached? The v plow controller would light dim. Dug into it enough to find one loose wire under dash. Ran it to a fused positive and the controller lights up nice and bright like it used to. Battery terminal connections are solid and making good connection with no corrosion / build up.

· Registered
760 Posts
Point to point?
Jumping big terminals together on solenoid to activate the motor?

Did you install new or used harnesses truck side?
Tried swapping out the controller with a different one?
Tried the plow on a different truck?
Did you install a generic or OEM solenoid?
Tried cleaning up both sides of the 13 pin connector from truck to plow?

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Point to point?
Jumping big terminals together on solenoid to activate the motor?

Did you install new or used harnesses truck side?
Tried swapping out the controller with a different one?
Tried the plow on a different truck?
Did you install a generic or OEM solenoid?
Tried cleaning up both sides of the 13 pin connector from truck to plow?
Yes. A jumper wire running from incoming line to outgoing load to plow on the solenoid will make plow run and controller will operate. The solenoid was replaced with another OEM one. Plow works on other trucks fine. Controller also works fine swapping to another truck. The wire harness came with the truck purchase.

· Registered
760 Posts
Plow side wiring is good.
Controller is good.
Solenoid is new.

This leaves...
Truck side wiring (you did not specify new or not)
Grounds and key switched power to the controller.

Does the controller go dead when the plow stops responding?
Have you tried putting a different plow on this truck to see if it has the same problems?

· Registered
7,844 Posts
Found the problem finally.... wire came undone under the dash. Control wire from the toggle switch to convert power to the plow. Fixed it and everything works great!
Are you talking about the headlight switch that flips the headlights from the truck to the plow? If so, that should have zero effect on the function of anything on the plow except the headlights. All other functions should work as normal.

· Registered
7,844 Posts
I'm guessing that someone installed a toggle switch in lieu of the ignition fuse wire because they couldnt figure out how to tap into the fuse box. I've seen it multiple times on DIY installs.
Some people should just leave the installation to the dealer if that's the case. I've heard a couple times of people using an upfitter switch to get their keyed hot and it never made sense why you'd waste an upfitter switch on that.

· Premium Member
17,038 Posts
Some people should just leave the installation to the dealer if that's the case. I've heard a couple times of people using an upfitter switch to get their keyed hot and it never made sense why you'd waste an upfitter switch on that.
We use the upfitter switches sometimes, particularly on BOSSes. The upfitter switches are ignition switched (usually) so they can be left on, and in the case of BOSS, you can use the upfitter switch in place of the headlamp switch, so the upfitter switch brings power to the controller and switches the headlamps, all in one. And it eliminates any chance of the ignition wire coming loose from the fuse box.

· Registered
15,547 Posts
We use the upfitter switches sometimes, particularly on BOSSes. The upfitter switches are ignition switched (usually) so they can be left on, and in the case of BOSS, you can use the upfitter switch in place of the headlamp switch, so the upfitter switch brings power to the controller and switches the headlamps, all in one. And it eliminates any chance of the ignition wire coming loose from the fuse box.
I have one of my trucks wired that way.
It is also good as an anti theft device. They can't activate the controller and the switch isn't visible when you look at the dash.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.