Snow Plowing Forum banner
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Not randomly shutting off is a plus.
But it does, maybe not random, but it shuts off if you're not near it, why not just turn it off then.
Pretty sure auto shut down saves a very minimal amount of fuel, now if it kicked down to low idle, I'd be more happy with that, but those I've had a lot of problems with those Kohler ECU's

Reactions: shawn_

·
Registered
50,637 Posts

·
Registered
50,637 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,461 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love when people mumble and whisper when they know they are on video!!💫
Speak up! Jeezus
The guy doesn't sound too excited. Send a better rep…

You may be on to something there. I don't understand how people are able to make back the money that these machines cost to buy and maintain. I guess if you're a big outfit and get a deal on 10 of 'em, but for a single buyer, no way. The benefit I see is it makes your job easier and faster. That way, you can do even more work for less money.
We have 6 SSVs. We cut the shoveling staff down by 50%, stopped using two stages, and removed about 15% of the total plowed area from the trucks and passed it to the SSVs, cutting back on accidents by half.
We operate in Boston proper, handle a lot of walks and some pretty tight lots. On several occasions we had the SSVs cover bigger equipment breakdowns.
Does it replace a plow? Never. Does it replace a steer? Never. However throw in 2 or 3 together, especially with the blower and you can get a lot done.

I would not get it for suburban work, but for what we do, each machine pays for itself in its first year (average year), and its attachments in its second, plus profit.
It is not perfect and it could be improved. Parts are crazy expensive, and everything is an extra cost. The broom is underwhelming and prone to bust belts. If you forget to lube it, parts will break. They should make the machine a little longer for stability, and take away at the step platform so it maintains its overall footprint.

When we had that 24 inch storm, they did not stop, and really saved our bacon. An SSV with a blower is the most versatile piece of equipment we have, bar none - for our needs/market.

·
Super Moderator
9,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Been trying to demo a MAG. No Canadian dealers have stock yet. They are not sure they will be able to get them for this coming season.
What kind of pricing sre you hearing?
This is one of the larger if not the largest commercial landscape equipment dealers in Meatchicken,
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Product Mode of transport Plant

• Wow
Reactions: BUFF

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
We have 6 SSVs. We cut the shoveling staff down by 50%, stopped using two stages, and removed about 15% of the total plowed area from the trucks and passed it to the SSVs, cutting back on accidents by half.
We operate in Boston proper, handle a lot of walks and some pretty tight lots. On several occasions we had the SSVs cover bigger equipment breakdowns.
Does it replace a plow? Never. Does it replace a steer? Never. However throw in 2 or 3 together, especially with the blower and you can get a lot done.

I would not get it for suburban work, but for what we do, each machine pays for itself in its first year (average year), and its attachments in its second, plus profit.
It is not perfect and it could be improved. Parts are crazy expensive, and everything is an extra cost. The broom is underwhelming and prone to bust belts. If you forget to lube it, parts will break. They should make the machine a little longer for stability, and take away at the step platform so it maintains its overall footprint.

When we had that 24 inch storm, they did not stop, and really saved our bacon. An SSV with a blower is the most versatile piece of equipment we have, bar none - for our needs/market.
I was our in Boston for that storm assisting another company. Would have loved to have an SSV with us. Being those units went through that storm is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
50,637 Posts
The broom is underwhelming and prone to bust belts.
How much snow are you removing with the brooms?

We haven't had belt issues and use the broom 95% of the time.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts

Sounds good! The broom or blower if I was gonna use one.

·
Registered
296 Posts
We've had a Ventrac 3400 and 4500 for quite a few years. The 3400 with all of its belts and idler pulleys, etc. has been a nightmare. Probably why they are discontinued. Get rid of the belts and pulleys and the 3400 is an awesome nimble cabbed machine. The 4500 has been reliable, so cheers to Ventrac for that, just is much larger. Take one additional attachment with you besides the plow and you'll need at a minimum a 14ft. long trailer.

Ventrac SSV, definitely have that on the list, but again worried about any belts it may have.

Does the SSV itself have any belts/pulleys, or is it just on the broom and blower attachments?

Snowrator MAG looks pretty amazing. Some engine heat to the hands and body has to help at least some? No belts or pulleys? Auto idle when you step off the machine, not a bad thing that's for sure. A windscreen like the SSV would be nice. Not sure the wind screen on the SSV would survive with my crew.

We purchased a Cast830d mini loader, and are going to attempt that route this upcoming winter, definitely selling off our Ventrac 3400. Hopefully picking up one or two SSV's or the Snowrator Mag.

Appreciate all the useful feedback in this post fellas. Any feedback to my reply is appreciated as well. -Chris

61 - 80 of 88 Posts