Snow Plowing Forum banner

Boss Plow still not working. What's up with this thing?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  dieselss 
#1 ·
I have a Boss V plow, 2 years old and STILL Brand New. Haven't really used it yet... We've had no snow till this year. I've done no fluid change on it. (Haven't used it any.) My nearest dealer is 2 hours away. I am in NW corner of Tennessee.

Last storm we had, the right wing didn't extend and the plow didn't lift off the ground. Temps were in the teens on average. I got some advice and changed out 2 solenoids. The weather was above 32*F (I don't know if this is a factor or not, just throwing it in.) and as soon as the new parts were installed, the plow lifted and the wing extended out. I messed with them a little bit to make sure it was going to keep working right, and then the wing locked in the extended position. I pushed the "retract" button and ever-so-slowly the wing came back to the rest position. (Above freezing temps, mind you.)

Yesterday morning in sub freezing temps, the plow lifted just fine. No problem. I took a 15 minute trip, came back, parked it, dropped the plow and then decided to lift it again (for the heck of it) and it didn't budge! (Still in sub-freezing temps, mid- 20's)

Today the plow lifts just fine. Picked it up, dropped it multiple times. Extended the right wing and it stuck. It didn't come down till a few minutes later. Now when I try to extend, it will not hardly go up, and immediately comes back to rest.

WTH is up with this?

See less See more
#2 ·
doster's lawn &;1775215 said:
I have a Boss V plow, 2 years old and STILL Brand New. Haven't really used it yet... We've had no snow till this year. I've done no fluid change on it. (Haven't used it any.) My nearest dealer is 2 hours away. I am in NW corner of Tennessee.

Last storm we had, the right wing didn't extend and the plow didn't lift off the ground. Temps were in the teens on average. I got some advice and changed out 2 solenoids. The weather was above 32*F (I don't know if this is a factor or not, just throwing it in.) and as soon as the new parts were installed, the plow lifted and the wing extended out. I messed with them a little bit to make sure it was going to keep working right, and then the wing locked in the extended position. I pushed the "retract" button and ever-so-slowly the wing came back to the rest position. (Above freezing temps, mind you.)

Yesterday morning in sub freezing temps, the plow lifted just fine. No problem. I took a 15 minute trip, came back, parked it, dropped the plow and then decided to lift it again (for the heck of it) and it didn't budge! (Still in sub-freezing temps, mid- 20's)

Today the plow lifts just fine. Picked it up, dropped it multiple times. Extended the right wing and it stuck. It didn't come down till a few minutes later. Now when I try to extend, it will not hardly go up, and immediately comes back to rest.

WTH is up with this?
Have you ever changed/checked fluid?

#5 ·
That's a really good question Whiffy. More than likely, I would assume that since I hadn't driven the truck, the viscosity would still be the same as the day I poured it in. So probably not. Mechanics has never been a strong suit for me. However, I am picky when/if I buy something used from someone and change fluids out shortly after purchasing it. I try not to buy anything used.

I did pull the V-Blade Relief Valve and the fluid did seem a bit milky. The fluid wasn't as red as the day I poured it in. So this seems to be my problem.

#6 ·
Try a fluid flush. As was stated moisture in the system can play havoc. Any plow fluid will do as well. And do a complete flush. Angel rams as well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.