Boss plow advice

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
plates
The truck cannot be used for hire.

The truck must be used exclusively in connection with a farming operation, including a farmer hauling livestock or farm equipment for other farmers for compensation of any kind except money, or used for the transportation of the farmer and the farmer's family.
The vehicle cannot be used in connection with other gainful employment other than farming or ranching.

unlawful use of a Farm plate may result in a misdemeanor citation issued by a law enforcement agency. The agency may also confiscate the Farm plate.
Thx Peabody.....
Depending how the LLC for the farm is set up and state regs it is legal.

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
Thx Peabody.....
Depending how the LLC for the farm is set up and state regs it is legal.
It really has nothing to do with the LLC or how their business is set up.
the laws is the law and the uniform act pretty much makes it basically the same in every state.
The wording may be a little different but it’s the same in every state.

I gleaned the info I used from three different states and all of their regs were basically the same.

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
It's not oot of the ordinary for farms/ranchs to do contract type work, could be for harvesting, hauling, etc....
BTW tags on pillows and mattresses should be removed.... but who's checking...

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
It's not oot of the ordinary for farms/ranchs to do contract type work, could be for harvesting, hauling, etc....
BTW tags on pillows and mattresses should be removed.... but who's checking...

You need to ask Todd’s daughter read what it says on the tag to you.

everything you listed up there is farm work isn’t it.
Hauling manure Yep that’s farm work , harvesting yeah yeah yeah that’s more farm work isn’t it.

Sections 257.801(1)(c) and 257.802(10) of the Michigan Vehicle Code prescribes the issuance and use of Farm plates. Farm plates have certain restrictions compared to regular license plates:
● A farm truck or truck tractor can qualify for this reduced rate license plate. The truck must be used exclusively in connection with a farming operation, including a farmer hauling livestock or farm equipment for other farmers for compensation of any kind except money, or used for the transportation of the farmer and the farmer's family.
● The truck cannot be used for hire. The farm can be operated by an individual, company, or corporation.
● Farm plates may be used by a tree nursery, landscaping service, or greenhouse for a truck used exclusively in its farming operations. The farm truck can be used to transport crops, plants, and trees from the farm, field, or greenhouse (the harvest location) to a wholesale or retail outlet. The truck cannot be used for delivery from the sales lot or stor

Last edited:

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
You need to ask Todd’s daughter read what it says on the tag to you.

everything you listed up there is farm work isn’t it.
Hauling manure Yep that’s farm work , harvesting yeah yeah yeah that’s more farm work isn’t it.

Sections 257.801(1)(c) and 257.802(10) of the Michigan Vehicle Code prescribes the issuance and use of Farm plates. Farm plates have certain restrictions compared to regular license plates:
● A farm truck or truck tractor can qualify for this reduced rate license plate. The truck must be used exclusively in connection with a farming operation, including a farmer hauling livestock or farm equipment for other farmers for compensation of any kind except money, or used for the transportation of the farmer and the farmer's family.
● The truck cannot be used for hire. The farm can be operated by an individual, company, or corporation.
● Farm plates may be used by a tree nursery, landscaping service, or greenhouse for a truck used exclusively in its farming operations. The farm truck can be used to transport crops, plants, and trees from the farm, field, or greenhouse (the harvest location) to a wholesale or retail outlet. The truck cannot be used for delivery from the sales lot or stor
Never had an issue running farm tags, even when hauling a snowmoblie trailer.
Guess the law has better things to do than question the use of farm tags oot here.

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
Just say’en.
There ez a lot of pick and choose
Und ya might need DOT# ta go wiff dem.
just 2 B safe.

But I’ve always done it and then this one day I got it pulled over for it and I had an open road soda…

and then would your insurance cover you for such an endeavor with your farm tags?
They think you’re doing a farm thing with the vehicle and rate your insurance as such but you’re doing something else.

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
Has anybody ever been pulled over for having a plow too wide? Or for that matter know of anyone that has? I would think troopers would have better things to do than measure plow widths.

My dad was pulled over...because his plate was covered in snow. Yeah DA, it's snowing. Everyone's plate is covered. Measured his front plow, a Blizzard 8611.

"I thought it looked wider than that."

This was over 10 years ago before the new law was enacted.

PS Yes, it was a trooper. City cops and sheriff's deputies never look twice.

OP
W

WI*FNG

Has anybody ever been pulled over for having a plow too wide? Or for that matter know of anyone that has? I would think troopers would have better things to do than measure plow widths.
I'm embarrassed to say.. 31 years in law enforcement, and I didn't even know it was illegal until I started reading the thread on here. I've never heard of anyone getting stopped for this.

I asked our legal officer and he didn't know of any law we would enforce. Keep in mind I work in a city of about 40,000. I'm pretty sure the Wisconsin State Patrol would have a different opinion, and would be well aware of the legal requirements and enforcing them to the fullest..

Top Forums