Boss plow advice

WI*FNG

I'm looking for advice on which (2) BOSS DXT plows to buy. I went into my BOSS dealer planning to purchase two 9' 2" DXT plows with wings. The dealer said the 9'2" DXT isn't available with wings and suggested going with a EXT or 8'2" with wings. After everything I've read here, I'm staying away from the EXT.
Plow.jpg

My question is: Would you go with the 9'2" DXT or the 8'2" DXT with wings? I'm guessing wings can be added to the 9'2", but not by the dealer.

Also, I'm leaning towards a Boss VBX 9000 salter. I've been searching the forum and can't really find too many complaints about this salter. There are some fleet discount available from Boss if you spend over 15k, but I'm not opposed to other brands. I'd rather pay more up front for something more reliable than pay for it later in repairs.

The property is a 10 acre commercial lot with loading docks only occupied from 8am-6pm. There are some islands, but basically the lots are wide open. I will be using three vehicles, a CAT 272D3 with a 13 ft. Arctic pusher, a F350 SRW and a F450 DRW. The F450 will have a stainless dump and will have the salter.

Thanks in advance!

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
I'm looking for advice on which (2) BOSS DXT plows to buy. I went into my BOSS dealer planning to purchase two 9' 2" DXT plows with wings. The dealer said the 9'2" DXT isn't available with wings and suggested going with a EXT or 8'2" with wings. After everything I've read here, I'm staying away from the EXT.
View attachment 218585
My question is: Would you go with the 9'2" DXT or the 8'2" DXT with wings? I'm guessing wings can be added to the 9'2", but not by the dealer.

Also, I'm leaning towards a Boss VBX 9000 salter. I've been searching the forum and can't really find too many complaints about this salter. There are some fleet discount available from Boss if you spend over 15k, but I'm not opposed to other brands. I'd rather pay more up front for something more reliable than pay for it later in repairs.

The property is a 10 acre commercial lot with loading docks only occupied from 8am-6pm. There are some islands, but basically the lots are wide open. I will be using three vehicles, a CAT 272D3 with a 13 ft. Arctic pusher, a F350 SRW and a F450 DRW. The F450 will have a stainless dump and will have the salter.

Thanks in advance!
Have a buddy that runs a 9.2DXT with wings on F-350 SRW with a 6.2L with no issues.

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
Why would swr or dwr make a difference
The plow goes on the front.

other than wanting a wider plow to cover the track of the truck.

OP
W

WI*FNG

[
With wings
The 9’2 can take wings, just be careful about getting caught in a snow bank, also that’s a pretty wide plow and depending on laws in cheese land, may be too wide
Thanks, I think it may be too wide for the road, but thought I could throw the wings on when I arrived at the property.

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
Why would swr or dwr make a difference
The plow goes on the front.

other than wanting a wider plow to cover the track of the truck.
Just sharing details aboot the pickup
Should have also included he has aboot 1000# of weight in the pickup bed , no spreader.

Ajlawn1

PlowSite Fanatic
Yes VBX's had the module issues most have talked about. I personally have not but a few here have...

For drive ability I'd probably lean more 8'2" with wings... Also depends are these daily drivers and do you leave blades on etc...

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
I have a 8.+with wings, I’d rather have the 9.+

the 8.+ with wings is 10’.2”( permit required)
And the wings add a lot of weight.
no one wants to put them on and take then off for drivability.
And driving around with wings on does affect drivability.

OP
W

WI*FNG

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the module issues on the VBX.

Yes, I plan to leave the blades on. I only plow the one 10 acre property and it's about 15 miles from my home to the property. I was originally looking at a 10' DXT for the F450, but would prefer the same mount on both trucks and thought the down pressure would be nice for back dragging the loading dock area.

OP
W

WI*FNG

Thanks for the advice! If the 10' is heavy enough for back dragging, having the same mount probably isn't that big of a deal. I'm probably better off going with the 10' DXT on the F450 and the 9'2" on the F350 (I already have a mount on that truck) . The F450 is a dedicated plow truck and the F350 is my personal vehicle.

I'm trying to get my order in early. The dealer already warned me of additional price hikes coming from Boss and he's having trouble getting the Arctic pushers to sell. He's also had two price increases from Arctic this year because of the increase in the price of steel.

BossPlow2010

PlowSite Fanatic
I have a 8.+with wings, I’d rather have the 9.+

the 8.+ with wings is 10’.2”( permit required)
And the wings add a lot of weight.
no one wants to put them on and take then off for drivability.
And driving around with wings on does affect drivability.
In Mestchicken the laws change more than the weather, it used to be nothing wider than a certain width, then they changed it to “well if your doing snow and ice operations, you can be a little wider” now the law is 96-132” without having to obtain a permit, but only between Oct 1- may 1

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
plates
The truck cannot be used for hire.

The truck must be used exclusively in connection with a farming operation, including a farmer hauling livestock or farm equipment for other farmers for compensation of any kind except money, or used for the transportation of the farmer and the farmer's family.
The vehicle cannot be used in connection with other gainful employment other than farming or ranching.

unlawful use of a Farm plate may result in a misdemeanor citation issued by a law enforcement agency. The agency may also confiscate the Farm plate.

Last edited:

Top Forums