Boss LDR quick coupler adapter results

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Broncslefty7, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 2000 Club Member

Purchased this year, and is paired with a case 621G. First storm of the year, 5” of snow, 6 hours in, the thing tore itself apart. I fully expected if anything where to break it would have been the welds, not the steel crossbeam. Needless to say, I am extremely disappointed! I paid around 500 and change for the adapter, 700 for the JRB hooks, and a couple hundred to a local welder. Waste of $$$

The parking lot was paved two years ago and there are no islands.....

8A24ADE5-8F2D-4104-9513-3393D90DD324.jpeg

E02B887A-6BD2-472D-B4EE-58E463B48876.jpeg

4284B920-53E0-494C-BCA4-4AEEC5E641C4.jpeg

348930F4-CB7E-4689-9AAA-24E0F2AD2363.jpeg

04E9A350-FDAC-43E8-946B-AEFB7F0CE7F0.jpeg

2. Green mentorship

Green mentorship Member

Look at how thin that metal is. Can't say it self destructing is surprising. Another example of end users beta testing for Toro.

icudoucme and Mark Oomkes like this.
  3. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

That thing is like a pendulum. Needs another rung of cross tubes and redesigned plates to utilize it. Also needs supports from the top area of the blue quick plate to where those two large bolts are (another plate or something.) I kinda got to also put the "bad" on the welder, he should have made a support for the top of the blue quick plate. Plus laying tube flat like that has less strength then if it were 90 degrees the other way.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

This is a Boss product?

If so, it's the same idiot that designed the EXT. Hate to say it, but I could have told you it was going to fail. Where the hooks are welded to the tube need to be supported...they're basically hanging in the breeze. And the tube is too thin.

Not that MetalPless was any better, but it took longer than 6 hours to break apart. And it was easier to fix.

5. OP
    OP
    Broncslefty7

Oh the weld guy, he’s a beast

D1EC9626-299E-42CB-9149-27C95915156D.jpeg

2F29C74A-9250-4D66-8F45-B167772A667C.jpeg

FEBCEAD5-D55C-4096-909B-7FB5137477EC.jpeg

6. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite Fanatic

Beast???....Not much penetration there

7. OP
    OP
    Broncslefty7

The welds held... the boss cross beam did not. None of the welds are broken

8. OP
    OP
    Broncslefty7

I’m no welder but they look good to me

9. Mark Oomkes

But when you weld to tin...the tin breaks.

Had the same thing on my 14' Daniels. Good ole whacked out Greg used 1/4" or 3/8" tube for the push tube. I believe it was 12" square. But 14' of blade hanging oof it. Folded\cracked in half. Ebling replaced it with 1/2" and never had a problem again.

10. Aerospace Eng

Aerospace Eng PlowSite.com Addict

I disagree on the tube being stronger n the other orientation for a fore-aft push. The moment of inertia for a fore/aft push goes like the vertical depth*horizontal depth^3.

It almost looks like it was designed to be pinned onto the bucket somehow using the holes in the tubes outboard of the fore/aft plates.

Regardless, the setup should be designed so that the loads from the coupler are taken to the pusher as directly as possible. I would put a thin triangular gusset from the coupler to the vertical plate, and then put strap on the end of the gusset toward the loader, making an I-beam out of the setup. I'm not sure if the push tubes are supposed to be removable from the plates, or if the fittings between the tubes with the large bolts are there just for assembly convenience.

11. fireside

fireside PlowSite.com Addict

That’s the boss design not the welder!!! The blue hook parts was welded to the boss factory supplied adapter plate. Also the top bolts can’t be welded to as the adaptor floats. The whole adaptor floats allowing the box to rise up and down. To put it bucket mount forks on you unbolt all the big bolt and remove slide plates than adaptor

12. Mark Oomkes

Yes and no, the welder should have seen this coming. The support is just not there for this to work. Add to that the thin tube wall and there is no way it was going to last.

13. Aerospace Eng

Aerospace Eng PlowSite.com Addict

Something like this.... LDR coupler_gusset.jpeg

14. Mark Oomkes

And on the insides of the hooks.

15. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Is this thing on upside down?
    Also yes the blue guessets, but also extend plates where the top two bolts are down to the plate going around the tubes while still allowing to slide in.

16. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm with gussets on the outside and inside and hell maybe even another thicker tube on the top running from each slide hitch plate then welded to your blue hitch...

Heck their SK10 uses at least 1/4" on there slide hitches, what is this a LDR 14?

IMG_20191203_102226.jpg

17. Mark Oomkes

Kinda wondered why the JRB part was welded so "high" on the hitch. Might have got 8 hours out of it if it was centered...

Nice that it has fork pockets so when it tears apart you can still transport it.

18. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 PlowSite Fanatic

Oh I thought those were so you can plow with your forklift...

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  19. Mark Oomkes

That's what you get for thinking.

So not only is the Boss pusher inferior as it doesn't scrape as good as others, the quick coupler is garbage.

Where oh where is Stanley the dirt moron when you need him?

Cooter24 and BossPlow2010 like this.
  20. OP
    OP
    Broncslefty7

We installed it per boss’s specs. If they wanted more gussets we certainly would have added more....