Boss HTX

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by theplowmeister, Dec 4, 2018.

1. mrgarciainc

mrgarciainc Member
    from Chicago

Thanks

2. mrgarciainc

mrgarciainc Member
    from Chicago

Picked up today

6B118848-C4AB-4E8D-8239-30D00F5DA21E.jpeg

cwren2472 likes this.
  3. mrgarciainc

mrgarciainc Member
    from Chicago

Anyone know how much the front can handle? The htx v is 490lbs, 70 more than the sport duty. Sport duty felt fine in the front. I have a steel rubicon front bumper I want to install on my Jeep. I’m wondering how she’ll handle the added weight of bumper and 70 more lbs of the V. I’m currently running OME lift with their heavier duty sprints up front.

4. EWSplow

EWSplow PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe try air bags, or air shocks. Probably air bags in your case.
    With no modifications on my YJ, a completely different front suspension, it barely squats when a 380# plow is lifted.

5. mrgarciainc

mrgarciainc Member
    from Chicago

Ok thanks. Haven’t tried to hook it up with the steel bumper yet so not sure how much it will squat with the htx. The sport duty is 420 and didn’t squat much

6. b24hall15

b24hall15 Junior Member
    from Ontario

AE390B84-2C7A-45E4-9835-3EC5637351ED.jpeg
    I put .75 Lift Spacers from Rough Country on the front end and love the setup. Jeep is a plowing machine !!

JK-Plow, EWSplow and mrgarciainc like this.
  7. mrgarciainc

mrgarciainc Member
    from Chicago

How do you drive from lot to lot? I noticed while in V position, which is how I’d prefer to drive, it scrapes. I had to put in straight when I took it to storage. I also have not tried it with any weight in the back yet. Maybe that will make a difference. I used my sport duty on Monday. Wasn’t ready to take the new V out yet. What motor do you have in your JL

8. EWSplow

EWSplow PlowSite Fanatic

I think I need @Defcon 5 's defibrillator.

9. OP
    OP
    theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Umm Lets see I got busy and forgot to keep you all up to date

I plowed 1 storm with the JK and HTX plow. I am so unhappy with it that I almost drove in to my lake. The plow has 2 trip springs so it would trip just pushing a slushy driveway, that is if the wings didnt fold back first. I took it back lost $1200 on a trade in to a VXT in February.

SO SO SO disappointed in the Jeep. Lots of power on the highway but thats not where I plow. under 1000 RPM it would rather stall than chug chug chug push as the TJ and YJ do. Visibility out the back and sides SUCKS. EVERY time it stalls and you re-start you have to re-shut off traction control. they made the rear window smaller and the rear wiper housing BIGGER there is almost NO glass to see out. Side mirrors are smaller (good thing there electric I have to keep tilting them up/down to get good coverage)

I paid $600 for LED head light/ Fogg lights. ALL the other lights are Incandescent. I put in LED marker/brake lights. ow I get hyper flash turn signals. NO way to turn off the hyper flash. Used to be able to replace the flasher relay... No flasher relay ALL controlled by the CPU.
    I could ad 100 watt resisters in parallel the LEDs to reduce hyper flash but that kind of nullifys the biggest advantage of LED... low power consumption. O ya every time I start the Jeep the dash tells me my brake light is out. push the button to turn that off and then it tells me the front turn signal is out. push the button.....

For those of you that had the YJ when you folded the drivers seat up to get into the back then you returned the drivers seat, you had to get in and re adjust the seat to put it back to your driving position. Then in the TJ they fixed that! :) you could fold the drivers seat forward get stuff out the back, un-fold the drivers seat and it was back to your driving position. Well they went back to the YJ style $36,000 for a F____ jeep and the drivers seat has to be re adj every time you fold it forward. Not to mention it doesn't fold forward very far.

There is more....

Just plain STUPID no thinking went into the re-design. O ya they did ask me in a questionnaire "does the exhaust sound good"

I did wire up the plow so I have NO head light switch to forget to toggle when the plow goes on or off. I also added DP to the plow

I RELY wish I had saved my $36,000. and gotten a TJ from NM

10. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

Theplowmeister, I am sorry to hear that the JK was a total let down. That's what I was afraid of and I never pulled the trigger.

Mrgarciainc, put the down in V-mode and then bump it back forward for a second or two. It will be halfway between straight and V.

Aerospace Eng and mrgarciainc like this.
  11. JoeRagMan

JoeRagMan Member

the plowmister, sorry to hear about your experience, V6/ stick shift combination stinks for torque. I had a S-10 Blazer set up the same way. Total dog! Sounds like you need a Cummins BT4 turbo diesel conversion.

theplowmeister likes this.
  12. Brndnstffrd

Brndnstffrd Senior Member
    from CT

Throw some wheel spacers for "tire-poke", low profile tires, a spacer-lift, and the angry grille on it and ship it down to CT. You would have no problem getting mid to upper $40's for it.

theplowmeister likes this.
  13. b24hall15

b24hall15 Junior Member
    from Ontario

14. b24hall15

b24hall15 Junior Member
    from Ontario

I had no issues carrying the plow in V mode and scraping. I have the V6 engine. The only issue I have is the dealer ordered the JK wiring harness for the plow lights, so I am waiting for Boss to send the JL part. Makes it a little difficult to see at night :)

15. BigDBoots

BigDBoots Senior Member

Check out this guys page about Meyer plows. Scroll down and he has pictures and videos of installing a plow on a TJ vs JL. I reached out to Chuck, owner of the business, and he felt as though the new jeeps are so substandard...

http://www.smithbrothersservices.com/

16. cherox

cherox Junior Member

More pics and a review would be much appreciated!
    Especially pics of it in action! Is the plow ever narrower than the Jeep either in V or scoop mode? Thanks.

17. b24hall15

b24hall15 Junior Member
    from Ontario

We are suppose to get some snow over the weekend, I will put something together.
    My installer had no issues installing the v plow, he said it went smooth.

18. TundraKing

TundraKing Junior Member

Does anyone know the reason why BOSS doesn't make an undercarriage mount for the YJ? Perhaps front end max load capacity? Seems to me that it could handle the front end weight the same or better than a TJ...

19. cwren2472

cwren2472 PlowSite Fanatic

Probably demand - the YJ would have been discontinued for nearly a decade before they introduced the sport duty, nevermind the HTX.

EWSplow likes this.
  20. TundraKing

TundraKing Junior Member

Ah, makes sense. I've been considering getting a TJ mount and re-fabricating it to work with a YJ. My goal is to get a VXT to work on it. Has anyone done anything like this?