1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss HTX V Plow

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by NJKCM883, Jan 23, 2017.

1. NJKCM883

NJKCM883 Junior Member

Soo........everyone on here knows plowmeister's jeeps with the vplow are the bees nees. I was quoted for $5,500 for the new HTX v plow and timbrens installed on my 2014 JKU Sport. Here in NJ, specifically western essex county the average snowfall is approximately 26" we probably have around 4/5 events over 3" each year. I currently offer a snow removal service using a honda Hss1132ATD and have about 15 clients. I am in between outfitting my wrangler with a boss hxt V and an ebling back blade (possibly a custom short iron fab) OR doing a 5 month lease on a kubota tractor with an inverted blower.

Please note, i know that i need to increase my customer base. I am hoping to expand to 50 to 75 drives by next fall. Just trying to decide on the right machine, weighing in on all costs.

Therefore, i was wondering what everyones opinion is on that specific plow for my truck and what other upgrades would you recommend.

Thanks

Kyle

2. hillbillydeluxe

hillbillydeluxe Senior Member

We run 2 jeep wrangler for driveways. My suggestions is don't go any less than 7'6'' no matter what plow you get. Also, a plow on a jeep wrangler is by far the best tight/small/single lane driveway rig out there, now that boss has the htx plow thats "approved " for the jeep its a no brainier to get the v. Previously you had to custom mount,and find parts etc. I assume from now on you'll see a lot of wrangler running these v's. As far as the timbrens( I'm no expert by any means)...Timbrens are made to stop sagging but do not help with clearance, however on our jeeps we had ground clearance issues with the mount (clearance from ground to plow mount). we went with 2" leveling kits and that gave us ground clearance we needed. I suggest getting it installed and seeing the ground clearance/jeep sag with the plow raised and get the best option for you.

3. NJKCM883

NJKCM883 Junior Member

As far as clearance goes, would it be beneficial to purchase the OME 2" lift kit with HD springs? These springs are rated to carry 600lbs more than stock springs but with no bumper/winch it will get more like 3.5" of lift.

4. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

Were you going to trailer the Kubota from customer to customer? There's a time and place for both, but you have to account for loading ..hooking up, and unloading, which takes time.

The good thing about a blower is you have the ability to move the snow far away ...far enough to keep it from blowing back across a driveway for example. The bad thing is it takes a LONG time to do it compared to a plow, and you are right out in the elements (cold and windy) with cold snow blowing in your face. My buddy has like a 46" blower on a large garden tractor and takes him a LONG time to blow his snow and he has to spend a couple hours warming back up afterwards, where I get I could plow it in 20 minutes in warmth. But then again he has a lot of trees and eventually after a few snow storms won't have anywhere to put the snow.

I have another neighbor who has a small Kubota with a blower and he seems to like it. It works for his driveway because it's S-shaped with lights on the edges and he has plenty of obstacles that would make it hard to plow with even like a Jeep ...and he shares it with his son down the street. For a guy's own driveway, where time isn't a factor, a blower allows ya to put the snow exactly where ya want it and not have to mess with it again. And, if ya have gravel, you can be more careful to avoid blowing a lot of gravel into the driveway. I hired a couple guys a long time ago and they plowed w/o any consideration to the gravel part of my long driveway. Come spring I had a crap-load of gravel to deal with and the only way to remove it is pretty much by hand (not fun). Any homeowner with lawn next to a gravel driveway knows exactly what I mean. I can plow my own driveway carefully so as to reduce the amount of gravel in the driveway, but I would never hire anyone to do it unless I really knew they were as careful. So, you might be MORE desireable if you were to advertise with homeowners that your rig reduces gravel in the lawn. But for doing a lot and bigger areas, I don't think the Kubota would be good there. It would be slow. And for doing a lot of lots, or even drives, I think you're going to chew up a lot of time moving the Kubota around. If you're plowing drives for kind of fun ..neighbors and such, that's ok, but if you have to live on the money, I think you're better off adopting an get-in-get-out fast strategy with a Jeep and small blade. Also, I've got an open-cab skid steer and it's one of the coldest ways to move snow there is. Also, I had a really heavy blade on my XJ and it was hard on the suspension and made it handle really poorly in the slick snow. I went to a lighter SUV style blade and it's just right. Plows and drives better. I like it a lot even though I lost 6".

Each tool has some advantages..

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  5. BigDBoots

BigDBoots Senior Member

I plow wit an o6 LJ w/ Meyers 6.6. I bought the LJ new and installed a 2" OME lift kit and put Airlift airbags in the front end to level it off w/ the plow on, that cleared up the front end sag. There are a number of threads about airbags and air shocks on here as I went for the airbags for ease of install. I am constantly telling myself to either fab extensions or just upgrade to a larger blade as 6.6 spills snow under the tires at full angle.