boss dxt on 2019 3500 cummins advice

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by andrewgushee, Dec 9, 2019.

1. andrewgushee

andrewgushee Junior Member

I am about to pull the trigger on having my dealer install a new dxt on my new 2019 3500 cummins. They said it would take them 2 full days to do the install. I have been jerked around for awhile since I ordered it 8weeks ago. I looked around to another dealer who has all of the parts in stock ready to go. It is $900 cheaper if I buy all of the parts and install myself. I was told the new ram diesels are the worst to install and that is why it will take my dealer 2 full days to install. Just looking for advice from anyone with experience with this type of install. We are pretty mechanically inclined and have installed a couple of plows before.

Kvston likes this.
  2. cwren2472

cwren2472 PlowSite Fanatic

You were told correctly - that truck is the worst to install on.

Kevin_NJ and 512high like this.
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Why?

4. cwren2472

Something to do with some intercooler thing at the front

5. Mark Oomkes

Of course, why not?

6. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 PlowSite Fanatic

Kevin_NJ, cwren2472 and Mr.Markus like this.
  7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe its the fact that installers call the culprit "intercoolerthingamajoo".

BUFF, White_Gold11, 512high and 3 others like this.
  8. cwren2472

I just reread that it was a 2019 not 2018. I was thinking of the LTA04770 kit. I do not know if the install is similarly crappy on the new body style. My guys have only done one that went pretty quickly but I think it was a gas (and a Fisher.)

512high likes this.
  9. BossEric

BossEric Senior Member

When Ram moved the steering box and added the charge air cooler in 2013 , they did make the install on the Diesel truck very tough . It did change the install time a lot. If they had turned the bumper bolts in the opposite direction , it would've helped . The 2003-2012 Diesel/gas and 2013-2018 gas trucks aren't difficult at all really, and use the same LTAO4770D mount. Now as Cwren says the 2019 is a totally new truck and mount , and are in the same class as the 2017+ Ford superduty as being easier than the previous model and still similar to the previous model. RAM did actually turn the bumper bolts around in 2019 . But the dealer must have had the trucks confused and also probably not installed a new 2019 RAM mount yet , they were just released a couple months back.

512high likes this.
  10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I don't know anything about a RAM, but I can do a full install on a 17+ Ford in about 3-4 by myself.

11. Mark Oomkes

Nobody said anything about the install on my '16 Cummings being difficult.

Boss DXT 10'

Hydromaster likes this.
  12. Hydromaster

Hydromaster 2000 Club Member
    from 406

What about the owner of the Cummings?

cwren2472 and BUFF like this.
  13. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 PlowSite Fanatic

Toro?

BUFF likes this.
  14. Mark Oomkes

What aboot him?

15. OP
    OP
    andrewgushee

andrewgushee Junior Member

Thanks for all of the input, it was a huge help. I decided to do the install ourselves. I realized I couldn't trust anything that the original dealer said including the fact that they stated if WE did the install it would void the boss warranty. The dealer I picked the plow parts up from had me registered in the system before I even left with the parts. Overall, the install was not too terrible. Including all of the time to figure the system out, plan the install, and to connect it to one of the aux switches, it took around 6hrs. That is with my guy taking his time to do make sure it is done correctly.