Boss Dxt electrical issue

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Nrich, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Nrich

Nrich Junior Member

I can’t get the plow side of my DXT to do anything I’ve changed the solenoid (oem) I’ve changed the pump motor. Traces all wires and grounds to make sure there clean and connected. I’ve also replaced both sides of the 13 pin connector. I can hear the solenoid working in every position until I hook up the main power wires to the plow side or the 13 pin then everything goes goofy. Plow lights work bug I can’t get the plow itself to do anything lift or either wing to work.!!!????

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

What controller..handheld or joystick?

3. OP
    OP
    Nrich

Nrich Junior Member

Hand held. It all works without the plow side hooked up

4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure the grounds are all clean. Just seems to be something that gets over looked.

BUFF likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Nrich

Nrich Junior Member

Handheld

6. Mr.Markus

I have had trouble with frayed wires in the joystick. Says you replaced the 13 pin connector on both sides. Make sure they are tight together give them some wiggling with someone operating the control

7. OP
    OP
    Nrich

Nrich Junior Member

Agree but what stumps me is if I just hook up the main power and ground that connects to the motor without the 13 pin connected the solenoid stops working correctly. The plow is only 4 yrs old. Do you happen to know what the resistor looking thing is on the small brown ground wire going to the valve solenoids?

8. OP
    OP
    Nrich

Nrich Junior Member

Grounds are all clean and in good shape.

9. Mr.Markus

10. OP
    OP
    Nrich

Nrich Junior Member

11. Randall Ave

Per the wiring diagram, looks like a diode.

12. OP
    OP
    Nrich

Nrich Junior Member

Ok I didn’t see that. Thanks. So when I ohm the grind wire before and after it there is nothing unless I hook the main power wires up then it rings out. Not sure how it’s supposed to work?

13. OP
    OP
    Nrich

Nrich Junior Member

Ground not grind dang auto correct

14. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Diode is like a check valve.
    Power can only flow in one direction.

Set your dvom to the diode symbol ->|
    Touch the 2 leads together looking for a beep or 0 reading on the scale this indicates flow.

Now put the red wire on one side of the diode and black on the other side.
    If it beeps or reads 0 it is flowing in that direction if it does nothing swap red and black to opposite sides and test again.

A good Diode should only beep or read 0 (depending on the meter) in one direction not both.

I think you missed the important bits here. Can you define goofy?
    What you are commanding it to do and what actually happens, noises you are hearing and things you are seeing etc will help us to diagnose this better.

15. OP
    OP
    Nrich

Nrich Junior Member

Ok I read up on diodes last night I will test that today to be sure it’s working correctly. When I hook up the main power wires the solenoid might click once when I’m trying to wing out or raise the plow. Or try to attach it to the truck. The controller won’t go into float position. Sometimes the controllers lights flicker when commanding it to lift or wing out. The only way to get it to stop and work correctly again it disconnect the main power or 13 pin and shut it off wait a moment then turn it back on. Also a time or two I would get a slight chatter from the solenoid when trying to raise or wing out with main power hooked up but the pump it’s self never has ran. I also took the new motor back of and made sure the pump turned freely which it does.

16. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

So it does work normally sometimes after you fiddle around with it?

There should be 2 fuse holders under the hood. Find the one attached to the solid red wire pull the fuse out and inspect the socket for corrosion put it back in and try again.

With the key turned on unplug your controller and use a test light across terminals 9 (-) and 1 (+) on the harness to see if your control is receiving power and ground.

It is important that you use an incandescent test light in this step and not a meter or LED test light since they won't properly load the circuit.

Looking over the wiring diagrams this seems to me like either you have a bad ground at the controller or the controller itself is going bad.
    Do you have access to a known good controller to test with?

Screenshot_20191224-123339.png

Mr.Markus likes this.
  17. Randall Ave

If the solenoid is chattering under a load, you need to check the signal wire for voltage. Usually that is a voltage drop. Did you try another controller?

18. OP
    OP
    Nrich

Nrich Junior Member

What wire is considered the signal wire? I don’t have access to another controller until Thursday I have my brother in law coming over to hook his truck up to see if it’s the truck side or plow side if I can’t figure it out before hand

19. OP
    OP
    Nrich

Nrich Junior Member

There are three or four fuse holders under the hood attached to the solenoid one didn’t look that good I cleaned it up some and replaced the fuse I’ll look at it again thank you. I’ll also check the others out very much appreciated

20. OP
    OP
    Nrich

Nrich Junior Member

If I wanted to use a jumper wire to raise the plow would I jump between 1,3,and 8 or 1,3 and 9? Still not having any luck