• Vaccine Priority For Essential Snow & Ice Workers?
    Concerned about COVID-19 and/or potential labor shortages? Click here for a letter to health departments from SIMA emphasizing your priority for the COVID vaccine as an "essential" worker.

bobcat 10ft pusher float or down pressure?

dmacleo

we (almost never me) run an s595 with a 10ft pusher (std type nothing fancy cannot remember brand) weight approx 1625lbs.
been wondering if you guys use float or slight down pressure when pushing.
did a quick search (very quick sorry if I missed posts) and nothing caught my eye on this.
opinions/experience appreciated.
and we plowed inches away from buildings and cars w/o smashing into crap unlike other new posters...

Ajlawn1

PlowSite Fanatic
we (almost never me) run an s595 with a 10ft pusher (std type nothing fancy cannot remember brand) weight approx 1625lbs.
been wondering if you guys use float or slight down pressure when pushing.
did a quick search (very quick sorry if I missed posts) and nothing caught my eye on this.
opinions/experience appreciated.
and we plowed inches away from buildings and cars w/o smashing into crap unlike other new posters...
Most boxes have a sliding hitch so no machine weight is ever really used... I cannot imagine how quick you'd go through edges and shoes with the weight of the machine on the box...

OP
dmacleo

dmacleo

Most boxes have a sliding hitch so no machine weight is ever really used... I cannot imagine how quick you'd go through edges and shoes with the weight of the machine on the box...
when I say down pressure its probably a misnomer on my end, pusher lowered using normal hydraulic down onto ground (so skid steer arms themselves locked) and then there is some float from the "hitch" itself. pretty sure its bobcat branded but its not the ones they sell now, got it 3 years ago.
but was curious if anyone ever put the skid steer arms into float also.

edit: its this style

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
Good luck with it in float, since your front tyres will be off the ground.

I know the pusher manufacturers do or did recommend it, but am quite sure they never actually tried it. And maybe the advent of floating hitches have changed this somewhat, but it won't work.

OP
dmacleo

dmacleo

Good luck with it in float, since your front tyres will be off the ground.

I know the pusher manufacturers do or did recommend it, but am quite sure they never actually tried it. And maybe the advent of floating hitches have changed this somewhat, but it won't work.
thats one thing I was wondering about was if the machine would tend to push over onto unit

OP
dmacleo

dmacleo

We've had plenty of subs that use down pressure on our boxes. They managed to ruin the shoes on a brand new box last season. We only had 2 plowable events.
we've never done that luckily LOL
end of 3rd season shoes still good composite edge been reversed once and getting swapped (we have new edge) end of this season.
so seems we've been doing it as we should.
wish was arctic dealer up here though. those looks sweet from vids I have seen. the main lot we use it for has lots of islands/etc