Blizzard predicted, now plow guys are everybody's friend

It seems to be a pattern in the residential plow world. We build a route of loyal customers, develop a plow routine, and then the big storm comes along, and the phone rings off the hook. People who would have nothing to do with you, and only wanted to be plowed if there was 6" or more, are suddenly long lost friends. They plead, asking you for consideration, and then when the storm is past, they leave you in the dust one more time. There is a special place in the underworld for these folks, but not before the invoice is paid!

Dogplow Dodge

PlowSite Veteran
downtoearthnh;1939572 said:
It seems to be a pattern in the residential plow world. We build a route of loyal customers, develop a plow routine, and then the big storm comes along, and the phone rings off the hook. People who would have nothing to do with you, and only wanted to be plowed if there was 6" or more, are suddenly long lost friends. They plead, asking you for consideration, and then when the storm is past, they leave you in the dust one more time. There is a special place in the underworld for these folks, but not before the invoice is paid!

Yeah ? Same Pineapples live here. Doing the same thing to me...

Lady: "Oh, I'm calling to confirm you have us on your list"

Me: No, you're not on the list

Lady: "why not ? You plowed our drive last year"

me: I haven't spoken to you since last year. You didn't call me until just now...2 hours into the storm... People who called me previous to the storm, were put into a route, and they take precedence. You wouldn't want me to push you out of line if someone else called me today, when you made arrangements back in August, now would you ?

Lady: But you did us last year, and I would have thought.....

Me: All I can say is "maybe", and you do know my pricing has gone up, right ?

Lady: "What ? You're charging more ? That's not fair"...

Me: Sorry, it's the best I can do.

Ty27

Yep...
If we get a larger storm (for us) here, it's like the neighbor you've seen on the road twice, they act like you've known each other since kindergarten. They call you at the END of the storm, you're crazy tired, they beg and beg, you give in, then you get there and your truck can't go up their uphill driveway.
I don't like to burn bridges with neighbors or whoever, but when you live in the country with large open fields on either side of your driveway, what do you expect? Certainly no drifting, oh never.

Ty27

Dogplow Dodge;1939591 said:

me: I haven't spoken to you since last year. You didn't call me until just now...2 hours into the storm... People who called me previous to the storm, were put into a route, and they take precedence. You wouldn't want me to push you out of line if someone else called me today, when you made arrangements back in August, now would you ?

Then you get the "uh, well, uh," continuously in the snotty sounding way

Mr.Markus

PlowSite Fanatic
Ty27;1939595 said:
Yep...
They call you at the END of the storm, you're crazy tired, they beg and beg, you give in, then you get there and your truck can't go up their uphill driveway. .

...you have to dig out their gate which was left closed, with 4 cars in the driveway cause their children have all moved back home, but don't leave...we're coming out to start(and clear off the cars) and move them so you can replow everything toy just did...LOL

SnowFakers

I've had over 10 calls today, which probably doesn't sound like a lot but still. People say "oh you plow my neighbors it will be easy for you". I just say no my route is full. People beg and plead. The answer is just no. Done playing games with people. Just get bit in the end

M&M

This is the perfect storm to get back at people who have ripped you off in the past. If you have any dead beats you are driving by in the middle of the night or a long driveway just stuff a giant pile of snow at the end of their drive! I have a guy who I've been taking to court for 8 months that could use some snow. Unfortunately he lives 25 miles from me...

Freshwater

PlowSite Veteran
Dogplow Dodge;1939591 said:

Love the term "pineapple". Soo fitting!!!!

Ty27

Mr.Markus;1939605 said:
...you have to dig out their gate which was left closed, with 4 cars in the driveway cause their children have all moved back home, but don't leave...we're coming out to start(and clear off the cars) and move them so you can replow everything toy just did...LOL
100%
And like I said your truck can't go up the little hill their drive way goes up, so you have to go get your bobcat that may not start cuz of the cold, of course it doesn't have a heated cab, and three hours later you realize a simple "NO" could've saved you 3 hours of sleep and a warm face. But some people can't take no for an answer as we all know.

Ty27

M&M;1939616 said:
This is the perfect storm to get back at people who have ripped you off in the past. If you have any dead beats you are driving by in the middle of the night or a long driveway just stuff a giant pile of snow at the end of their drive! I have a guy who I've been taking to court for 8 months that could use some snow. Unfortunately he lives 25 miles from me...
Our luck we'd get stuck doing it and then we can't get to our lots lol

04tundra

Same thing happened to me today, phone ringing off the hook. luckily most of them are summer lawn clients who handle the small snowfalls by themselves and need a hand with the heavier stuff. I add them to the back of the line.

Plow Nuts

I had quite a few calls from 1 time customers last year who ignored my emails in October plus their neighbors calling to get on the list. Sorry route is full. Try Craig's list. If I told you I could get to you I would be lying to your face. That gets them off the phone. I really hate 1 time customers. Not worth the aggravation or money.

Ty27

SnowFakers;1939606 said:
I've had over 10 calls today, which probably doesn't sound like a lot but still. People say "oh you plow my neighbors it will be easy for you". I just say no my route is full. People beg and plead. The answer is just no. Done playing games with people. Just get bit in the end

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Dogplow Dodge

PlowSite Veteran
Ty27;1939598 said:
Then you get the "uh, well, uh," continuously in the snotty sounding way
U tapping my phone again ?
Mr.Markus;1939605 said:
Pineapples ....butthats....booger eaters.....its all the same
Freshwater;1939617 said:
Love the term "pineapple". Soo fitting!!!!
Intelligence is being inferred, as you already know

04tundra;1939627 said:
Same thing happened to me today, phone ringing off the hook.
I let all of them go to voicemail.....some get returned...if i care and the others can eat yellow snow

Top Forums