1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Billing Dilemma

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by drafto, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. drafto

    drafto Member
    Messages: 63

    Short and sweet version: Forecast called for 4"-7" tapering off to flurries by noon time. I plowed the lot at 6am when there was about 4", went to work, went back over around 5pm to clear the sidewalks and there was about 1/2" covering the lot. I salted pretty good and left after I cleared the walks. Forecast is calling for an ice storm tonight and tomorrow, then tuning into all snow where we are supposed to get another 3"-6". It is a church parking lot, no services scheduled until Sunday. My contract states that I will plow every 4" at $110 a push, trigger of 2", 1" if with 24 hours of 9am Sunday service. Here is the dilemma, should I have plowed the 1/2" again? If so, what should I have charged them? Also, Will the salt take care of the 1/2", I am new to salting, temperatures are supposed to be in the mid 20's? Thanks in advance to anyone who responds, this site has become my best friend.
  2. Plow Meister

    Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,174

    I wouldn't plow the 1/2". Depending on the temperature, the salt SHOULD take care of that snow.

    As far as the ice storm is considered, do you feel you salted enough to combat that ice? If not, I would wait until the middle or the end of the storm and throw more salt down. The stuff already there will probably keep any ice from sticking but it won't keep it from forming. Especially if there are still traces of snow presently on the ground. With temps in the mid 20's, you shouldn't need a lot of salt. Pray for sun.
  3. drafto

    drafto Member
    Messages: 63

    Thank you for your reply. I know not plowing the 1/2" makes sense, but I am a nut when it comes to making the lots I clear look neat and clean, curb to curb. It just bothered me to drive away with snow still on the lot. Plow Meister, at some point here I have to talk with you, or your wife about insurance, I have a few questions, I know I am getting beat pretty bad for it but my options are limited in DE.
  4. Mdirrigation

    Mdirrigation Senior Member
    Messages: 413

    Its 2 seperate storms. You should bill accordingly. I have a church, and on Sundays they get plowed and or salted at 1/2 inch. 1 truck is stationed there for the entire day (by the hour) to salt and keep things moving . This church moves a LOT of people thru on a Sunday , they want every possible attempt made to keep it clean and ice free.

    We plow not based on a 2 inch trigger , but that only determines when we start if they are calling for large accumulations, all my customers understand that the weather is unpredictable and its safer to plow and salt all storms rather than risk slippery conditions.