Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Im new to this site but not new in the business. I need some help with bidding this shopping mall. I am hoping someone would be willing to help me! I have quite a few snow and ice contracts that vary in the way we have to estimate them depending on the customer or management company is. But with this one they are wanting me to bid the Ice prep/ treatment per pound! this has got to be at least 80-100 acre property with a ton of sidewalk and a lot of parking. any idea how to breakdown this place per pound of salt? I appreciate the help from anyone!

· Registered
7,844 Posts
What’s hard about figuring a price per pound? I guess I don’t understand why you can’t calculate your normal charge for deicing and then determine your price per pound from that.

What do you intend on plowing this “at least 80-100 acre” site with?

Satellite image? Address? Either or would be helpful.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
we have 3 trucks with straight blade plows with the big truck bed hopper spreaders plus two bobcats with 8 foot box plows. And I guess it's difficult for me because we started the salting and plowing last year and have done great with it! But I haven't really found a correct formula that works for us because typically its the company or management company who gives us the rates and ive ran numbers to see how they did for us last year and they were decent but it would be nice to have a solid rate for us. instead of them giving it to us. Hope that makes some sense

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
exactly! we hardly ever get any accumulations! but we do get alot of ice depending on the year i suppose. We got flooded with clients last year because we were one of maybe 3-4 companies in the area that are equipped for it. No one wants to invest the money in equipment due to the storms that never come.

· Registered
7,844 Posts
we have 3 trucks with straight blade plows with the big truck bed hopper spreaders plus two bobcats with 8 foot box plows. And I guess it's difficult for me because we started the salting and plowing last year and have done great with it! But I haven't really found a correct formula that works for us because typically its the company or management company who gives us the rates and ive ran numbers to see how they did for us last year and they were decent but it would be nice to have a solid rate for us. instead of them giving it to us. Hope that makes some sense
So you just say "yeah your numbers are fine" without knowing your own costs?

:popcorn:

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did last year yes.. Not a smart gamble on my end I know.. but it was new to me and my company so I took the chance and it worked out great. but the clientele is to the point now where I need to sift out the ones who just aren't worth it for me

· Registered
7,844 Posts
I did last year yes.. Not a smart gamble on my end I know.. but it was new to me and my company so I took the chance and it worked out great. but the clientele is to the point now where I need to sift out the ones who just aren't worth it for me
How do you know it worked out great if you don't know what it costs you to perform the services you've provided?

· Registered
7,844 Posts
At least you’re asking for help. The industry’s standard average is 750# an acre for rock salt. I would guess you’d need less than that on average being where you’re at. It’s up to you to get your pricing on the material, and add your overhead and markup to get your final price.

· Registered
6,441 Posts
Does findlotsize.com still work on desktop? Doesn't seem to work on my phone.

Find the area of a few of your sites, figure out how much salt you put down per acre on average last season. Then you will have your application amount. Even with a W.A.G. after doing it last year you should know how much it costs you to put salt down.

If you're overwhelmed with a job this size, simply tell them it's a bit too large for your company. I'm sure they will understand. You can lose money really fast by bidding a property this size incorrectly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.