1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding for a single snow

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Jaspell, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Jaspell

Jaspell Member
    from 06117

As you know there is a blizzard bearing down on us and a lot of people are looking for a single storm plowing arrangement. We are looking at 15 to 20 inches, probbaly requiring two separate trips per house. The average driveway is 60 feet by 25 feet. What is a fair per push bid under these circumstances? I want to help people and can handle the extra work but dont want to sell myself short. Just the push for the driveway.

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Veteran

$75.00 every time.

snow dozzer likes this.
  3. FredG

FredG PlowSite Veteran

X2 I would hit them more than twice, Even at 15'' you would be plowing 5'' per trip.

4. FredG

FredG PlowSite Veteran

You do know if someone call after the 15'' comes down to charge at least double. I understand you want to help people. You can't beat on your truck so people can keep money in there pocket. To battle with Mother Nature takes Money, time, equipment etc. lol

5. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

I charge double for flag downs (1X calls) after big storms, $50 minimum.

6. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

In nj thats easy 150

shawn_ likes this.
  7. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Maybe 125 if ur in the givinv mood

8. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

$75 and up for one time calls.
    Cash or credit card payment up front before the plow hits the pavement.

9. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I know the storm has come and gone but I can't agree with this more, regardless of what you charge. I'll walk through knee deep snow to the front door to get paid before I do anything. Preferably cash. You're doing them a huge favor at a time when most people are swamped with work. Don't rip them off but definitely charge accordingly

10. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I have a minimum as well, it applies to everybody. We are more trusting, it's a small town. A lot of people commute to work, every contact is an opportunity to sell your wares the way you want to service. Getting called out and paid to clear a driveway is better than a providing an estimate or free. It's your paid opportunity to introduce the way you provide service.

jrs.landscaping likes this.
  11. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

Cash before we start for people we don't know, we'll send a bill for people we know. Small town here too.

I had 3 different people stop by my house this year and give me money to plow something for them the next day.

This might be as good a place as any to throw this out too.
    For any of you who are MN Twins fans Dave Goltz flagged me down on Monday and had me do his driveway. He lives next to a regular of mine, and sometimes he doesn't want to shovel.

12. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

My residential driveway pricing is as follows
    Up to 6"
    6-10"-50% more
    10-12" 2x reg price
    over 12" I pro rate

So a 15-20" storm would probably charge 2.5-3x a normal plow.

These numbers are fluid too. If we get a heavy 5", I'll charge 1.5, if we get a super light 6.5", I'll charge regular rate.

13. ponyboy

ponyboy PlowSite.com Addict

I would like to see your contract where u can charge more for heavy snow
    And less for light
    I like the other %incgrease

shawn_ likes this.
  14. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

My guess is he means that's in one time call outs or flag downs.

15. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

That is the topic.....

16. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

So how did you handle the cat 3 storm?

17. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

I know. My response was to Ponybiy asking about a contract with the different levels. Flag downs aren't contracted.

18. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I wouldn't do a contract for only big storms. Hows driveway being cleared for smaller storms? Just driving over the snow and now it is all hard pack? Big storms are harder to see obstacles better chance of doing damage compared to an account I plow regularly. Lastly if they only want blizzard service they are cheap axes and could be an issue with payment.

ktfbgb likes this.