Snow Plowing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
id just let you know, im pretty sure that becasue the dealer installed it, they dont have too much defense on this one. legally speaking. a company or person selling a product has to desing a product to do what it claims to do properly. this is not meaning, if your unhappy you can take it back , but what it does mean, if a company makes ladders, they have to make them figuring 250 plus guys will climb on them, even stand on the top step, even tho they are not suppost to. you bought a plow advertised that it will do a job, and it will not. id sue

100% design and install failure. If the correct angle was not set on the plow so the wings wear correctly, thats the installers fault.

if the plow bent the lift tube... the down pressure was set too high, installers, and manufacture lack of detail.

your kidding me , im not going to complain about the tubes being hollow, but yoru kidding me, thats the only weld holding it? a total of about 8 inches of weld?

look at a pusher for a skid steer, (becasue at the size this unit it extended) thats basicly what you have. do you see ANY AT ALL that do not have a brace of some kind from the plow to the wing.

Id bet with your design, i could put a pry bar at the end of the plow, and bend the wings by HAND with just myself. not even plowing.

your kidding me , hit a curb? he RUBBED A CURB. and Rubbing is plowing, and racing. its jut gonna happen, that doesnt mean he can run into every little thing, but by no means did he hit or rub it that hard

just FYI for people, 4 years ago with my rear plow raised, (daniels) the truck was back up in to a pole by a worker. He hit it at about 20 mph. it bent the hitch on the truck. it also bent one of the arms that connect it to the truck. the back of the blade was pushed up high enough to brake the tail light on the truck. New hitch, new connecting bar was all it took. New brake light. no bed damage, only a scrath on the bumper. blade it self just bearly showed any impact at all. - thats how a plow should be desinged...to take a hit, and a beating.

ASI- take care of your customer... if not be prepared to fight a lawsuit. People are giving you advice. to help you with your product.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
NICHOLS LANDSCA;915466 said:
All of that stress is welded to the 1/4" wing end? Why wouldn't they have supports welded in between the 2x2 O.D. and the back of the plow and have the 2x2 I.D. relief cut length wise to clear the supports? Seems like a simple enough fix for future units
seems like thats a good idea, and possbly attach a supprt from the wing to the outer side plates to keep them from bending.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If they want to keep it designed similar to what they have, moldboard in front rails in back. I would think a dual slidebox similar to a Blizzard would make sense. Keep in mind Blizzards have been known to bend when not built heavy enough like the 8611LP.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I want to see there website. Sounds like they need to fix the problem and give you a refund.good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Beware - snow hogg - nightmare

I just called Dave from ASI to see if we could put this issue to bed with a full refund. Dave still insists that there is no design issue. I did find out from Dave that this is the first year for the SWITCHBLADE ( NOT WHAT I WAS TOLD FROM ED WHEN I LOOKED INTO PURCHASING THIS PLOW ) It is looking like I may have the first Switchblade in the field. Here is a qoute from there product update thread,
Our back blades are built for the serious snow plow contractor. They have been built for over 10 yrs and have withstood the harsh West Michigan winters. Some of the features include easy mounting, forward cutting edge to roll the snow instead of just pulling, powder coated for durability, hydraulic down pressure, wireless remote, everything is self contained and nothing in the rear of the truck, marine style gel battery for reliability, and halogen lights for visibility. Call 616.842.0009 or see our website at www.asinnovations.com for more details.
I guess I'm not sure how we went from 10 years to not even 1 year.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
pch1;918137 said:
I just called Dave from ASI to see if we could put this issue to bed with a full refund. Dave still insists that there is no design issue. I did find out from Dave that this is the first year for the SWITCHBLADE ( NOT WHAT I WAS TOLD FROM ED WHEN I LOOKED INTO PURCHASING THIS PLOW ) It is looking like I may have the first Switchblade in the field. Here is a qoute from there product update thread, I guess I'm not sure how we went from 10 years to not even 1 year.
My guess is 10yrs making a pull plow first year making an expandable one

·
Registered
245 Posts
JeepCreepn01;918607 said:
wow looks like because of this thread he will never sell another one, why no comment from dave? good start he has for the blade someone should re-design it and sell it for themselves
All it will take is a business name change and nobody will be the wiser and he'll still take people's money and not stand behind his product. i've watched 3- 1 day garage builders do it over the past decade locally.

·
Registered
331 Posts
IHI;918832 said:
All it will take is a business name change and nobody will be the wiser and he'll still take people's money and not stand behind his product. i've watched 3- 1 day garage builders do it over the past decade locally.
yep its a shame, hard to find someone take pride in their work

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
JeepCreepn01;918890 said:
yep its a shame, hard to find someone take pride in their work
Yeah it is pretty sad that he doesnt take enough pride in his work to to work out his issues with the customer.

Something tells me that most if not all of his back blades are looking like this and everyone is calling and wanting something done about it.

·
Registered
50,865 Posts
Just to start with, not near enough room for all the smilies I would like to use.

Sorry to hear about your problems pch, and I hate to say it and it isn't directed specifically at you, but

I told you so.

2COR517;912591 said:
Subscribed....
Ditto

WIPensFan;913044 said:
It's hard to tell what's really going on here with those pics. This is all after one plowing session? The one that baffles me is the center stack being bent from too much down pressure, how is that possible. I wish I could see the plow when they brought it in fully assembled and damaged.
It's very easy to tell what is going on.

slongfellowii;913072 said:
I agree with snocrete, Other than rubbing the curb with the wing, it looks like product design and set up to me. Wing edge wear is from the pins being set to low on the mount, but also will happen when you leave the approach of a driveway. the bent wing tube is design IMO. When it is extended out, how much torque i put on the 2" tube from wing tip to pivot point 3 feet away. There is a reason Mark made his comments. This design has been tried, and patented by the way by Geerlings.
;)

Geerligs made his much stronger, which translated to more weight and caused frame issues.

And while the concept is great, in the real world it doesn't work so great.

Never, ever, ever bent anything on my back blades from 'too much down pressure'; even when using full down pressure and going down a driveway.

pch1;913484 said:
Yes the wings are only attached by the 2 - 2" rail system that is not heavy enough. Thats why I want a refund. They have a good concept it just needs to go back to the drawing board to get the bugs worked out. Unfortunately I can not afford to be there R & D Department.
Bugs? That's being kind.

Triple L;914127 said:
LOL... bent from too much down pressure... I've had my Ebling lift the back of my truck off the ground probally 20-30 times this winter already with a load of salt on and still havent bent anything... Poor design and quality IMO
You don't say?

EcoGreen Serv;914409 said:
A buddies brother is a engineer with a masters in mechanical engineering and structural engineering.. I sent him the link and his comment was " What were they thinking " there's no way it will handle the torsional loads placed on it. Oh he works for this outfit that makes yellow equipment in Peoria Illinois.
I'm no engineer, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express and I can tell you that there are some serious design flaws in the entire plow. Not just the wings.

Even down here from Miami.

pch1;917574 said:
As of now I still have not received a refund, or a call from ASI. I have a specific job that requires a backblade, I can not wait for ASI to redesign there Snow Hogg, for some reason I seem to have a problem controlling when it snows. As I have stated before I tried to work this out with ASI in private, I told Dave how I would proceed if I did not get a positive response from him, so here we are. And yes I have been printing this thread off every couple of hours, ASI has removed some of there prior comments
I am truly sorry to hear about your problems, but I know you will be happy with your Ebling.

·
Registered
50,865 Posts
coral;922878 said:
i think they crawled into the fetal position..............
Looked at their website again yesterday. See that this is the same company that is selling Liquid Snow Shovel.

ANybody else in GR hear or try or know the reputation of that product?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I talked to them once last year about it, and it sounded more like an anti-icing liquid. If I remember right, he said it wouldn't melt snow, just prevent the bond to the pavement. I almost purchased some to try out, but I never got around to driving out there. He said they sell alot of it to the lakeshore guys.

Mark Oomkes;924012 said:
Looked at their website again yesterday. See that this is the same company that is selling Liquid Snow Shovel.

ANybody else in GR hear or try or know the reputation of that product?

·
Registered
50,865 Posts
WMHLC;924127 said:
I talked to them once last year about it, and it sounded more like an anti-icing liquid. If I remember right, he said it wouldn't melt snow, just prevent the bond to the pavement. I almost purchased some to try out, but I never got around to driving out there. He said they sell alot of it to the lakeshore guys.
They sold a certain bank on the fact that if applied often enough plowing would not be required. And they were low bid.

They lasted a month. :popcorn:

·
Registered
233 Posts
I am considering a backblade for next season, after this thread, I defininately know which brand I won't be considering.... Looks like Ebling it will be if I do take the pluge...

·
Registered
50,865 Posts

:popcorn:

61 - 80 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.