• PlowSite Homepage Upgrade

Hello again PlowSite community,

I wanted to post a quick note to let you know that the homepage of PlowSite will experience a major upgrade next week. We’re always looking for ways to improve our users’ experience on the site, and felt that this upgrade was needed and long overdue.

With this upgrade, you’ll now see the top trending posts as soon as you visit PlowSite, and these will be updated throughout the day. You can also easily access videos and photos. As always, we encourage you to include videos and photos in your own posts to share with your fellow PlowSite users.

Be assured that all of the forums, content and data that you’ve been accustomed to will remain intact, as will all current site features. You’ll also be able to easily access the full list of forums directly from our new homepage.

We’re excited to bring you this change, and look forward to hearing your feedback.

Thanks, PlowSite Team

Best way to solict residential work?

What do you guys think is the best way to solict residential drives. Doorknob hangers, mailings, add in community news???Trying to decide which way. Commercial is easy to get work, but pricing here is getting teribble. Thanks

CT18fireman

Banned
Lots of money to be made in residential. I like to traget a specific area. This keeps the routes compact. Using mailings or leaving flyers has been successful. I think the best way though is word of mouth. Get one customer in a neighborhood and then give them an incentive for referrals. I credit my customers one plowing for a referral. I have one guy I plowed for free the whole year two years ago. I did not mind because he gave me 12 new customers.

Mick

PlowSite.com Veteran
For me, an ad in the local "shopper" was best. I offered free plowing for referrals, but didn't get anywhere that way. I tried signs on the truck and a sign at the end of the drive. I haven't had anyone call saying they were responding to either of them. So far, all the callers have said "I saw your ad in the Town Line". I even got a call from Conneticutt who had a month old paper wanting me for his camp here.

I think I wasted several hundred dollars last year on signs.

Pelican

2000 Club Member
When I started up, I used CTfireman's method of flyers and also offered free plowing for referals of contracting customers. I also put a professionally made sign at the end of my driveway. It took a little time, about 4 years, but now I have over 100 customers inside a 5 mile radius.

The key is to be dependable and reliable, once word gets out of your service, people will seek you out. I haven't advertised in over 10 years now.