1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

best setup for led backup lights

Discussion in 'Back-up Buddy - Back-up & Utility Lights - Trucks' started by djbinding, Dec 19, 2015.

1. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I get that, it's simple math...... when you consider the cubic inches of material in a 6" portion of the bucket each bucket would come close to exceeding the capacity of a 5 gallion bucket.
    So "2" 5gallion buckets seems to be a little bit on the lowside of the guesstimate scale and this is why I asked about the method you use.

2. plow4beer

plow4beer Senior Member

those sound like 2 people i could have a lot of fun with...I already like them due to the names

Philbilly2, ktfbgb and Mark Oomkes like this.
  3. plow4beer

plow4beer Senior Member

That would suck...why not put a little smaller bucket on? And why such a small spreader? I’m pretty sure the vbox in our short box truck is every bit of 80in...

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ahhh...never mind.

plow4beer likes this.
  5. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite Fanatic

There was a guy in around here that used to use a mini excavator to load salt

Don’t believe he comes on here much any more

94A7547E-51D8-4513-8DF3-A2A79924C6D4.jpeg

6. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite Fanatic

Filling the bucket about half full and being careful. I've got a 60" bucket that needs to go to the bin just never got around to doing it. Besides, a couple of my guys would see the smaller bucket and feel the need to load bigger trucks with it just because they can.

7. John_DeereGreen

See reason for bucket size in above post.

Reason for the small spreader is because some dumbass bought a short bed truck. And said dumbass needs to have a transfer tank for machine fuel in that truck.

8. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite Veteran

For us, the bucket is on a wheel loader. I've got two V box spreaders, but most of the equipment is regular IH and F 550 salt trucks with full size spreaders on them, so the bigger bucket is needed for the other 98% of the equipment to load more efficiently.

9. plow4beer

plow4beer Senior Member

Gotchya....I’m surprised you don’t have a separate truck for just a parts runner/fuel truck.

10. John_DeereGreen

I keep telling myself I need a service body truck for our mechanic. But then I'd put a plow on it. And the way this season has gone, it would end up with a full route just like our backup skids and boxes have ended up with. The tank in my truck is more for summer, but it's also an "oh ****, sidewalk tractor is low on fuel" or whatever may (does) happen in an event.

We've got a group of 4 skids and 2 loaders at one central location, we've got a 550 gallon fuel tank there for those machines. Everything else is scattered out. Thought about a fuel/tool trailer like farmers use but I'm sure my insurance company would have a **** fit over that.

11. plow4beer

plow4beer Senior Member

You have an account that let’s you keep a 550 gal tank on site?!!

12. John_DeereGreen

It's a double walled tank...and it was a negotiated part of the deal. I can't imagine hauling fuel to that many machines with a transfer tank. We've also got a 250 ish ton salt bin on site.

13. plow4beer

plow4beer Senior Member

Gotchya...I have a similar situation where we have multiple machines on one site with a salt bin, but there’s no way in hell theyd allow a tank like that to be stored on site.

14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

So for $5k the "Grand View Operator's Training" course will teach you to be less efficient by using the wrong tool, even though the right tool is available.

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  15. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 PlowSite Fanatic

So you seriously have someone named Buck Wild Mike working on your truck......

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  16. JustJeff

Apparently the shop that I use has a guy with that nickname. I don't know.

17. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 PlowSite Fanatic

I thought maybe you had one of those "unless your naked please don't touch this vehicle" stickers....

If your Salt Doggs are anything like mine no need to watch the pattern its all to the Dr side....lol

JustJeff likes this.
  18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You're amazing...I spill more than that with a 10' long municipal Vbox (7-8 ton capacity) and an 8' 2.5 yd bucket on my 544H in one scoop.

BUFF, Ajlawn1 and ktfbgb like this.
  19. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you better check for equal air pressure on those 544 front tires....

I actually like a lil spill in the bed, keeps from having to reach into the hopper or cut open a bag for some of those hand applications....

Mark Oomkes and BUFF like this.
  20. JustJeff

I've only got the one Saltdogg. And actually, the other night when we were out salting, I went to my driver's last site to help him finish up. When I was watching him spread, I thought this Saltdogg actually spreads pretty well and evenly. That wasn't the story with my last one, but I really don't have any complaints about this one (yet). I bought it cheap, used, just to get me through this season. After I bought another truck, and laid out the money for another plow, I just didn't want to have to dig too deep in the same year for a spreader. So, I got this one, and as long as I get a season or two out of it I'll be happy.