Best Current V-Box Spreader

DGODGR

Hey Guys!
I'm looking at purchasing a V-box spreader. I have not yet nailed down which truck to put it on yet. I have a Dodge gas powered pick up with an empty 8' bed, I am also considering installing it in my '12 F350 SRW (8' bed but has a tank and tool box up front), or it may go on a new truck (probably an F450 w/flat bed). The product being applied will likely be 3/8" chips. This obviously a heavy product and (during my limited research) I've heard that a chain feed would be better than an auger feed. I am currently considering a Tornado or similar. I would love to hear pros and cons, user experience, and recommendations with these types of spreaders. I have done some searching but not much info is recent.
Thanks!

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
Haven't used the Striker much, but it seems to be a decent spreader if you want a cup of coffee or sandwich while emptying it.

@Mr.Markus @SHAWZER

I'll second or third the conveyor setup. Something to do with my short, one and only experience with an auger feed being an absolute nightmare.

GMC Driver

PlowSite.com Addict
I've heard good things about the Striker/Fisher unit as well. Our last 2 came from EquiFab - both are 8' dual electric units that are working out well. We've also had good success with DownEaster products.

With a heavy product, is hydraulic driven an option? With the limited experience we've had with a hydraulic driven spreader, it is far superior in performance than the electric, especially with wet or heavy materials.

Ajlawn1

PlowSite Fanatic
Tornadoes have been good to us so far... They are pintle chain and put out plenty of salt with feed gate barely open... Hence keeping it ethical.

If you're not planning to run any sand a auger is fine... The auger is also a little easier as far as maintenance, less moving parts, no chain to keep lubed in off season etc...

Ajlawn1

PlowSite Fanatic
Wow....that's like triple points...hence and ethical in one sentence.

We shirley have a different definition of "plenty".

I know...

Me...

35566.jpeg

Ewe...

35569.jpeg

OP
DGODGR

DGODGR

Thanks for the input guys. I am hearing a lot about salt and sand. My application will be for steep/shady/icy sections of gravel roads. I will be putting down rock chips or crusher fines (even smaller rock chips). Crusher fines is the closest thing we have to sand (w/o paying $30/ton). Does anybody have any experience with casting this type of product? Will the poly units have trouble handling it?

You don't want poly using aggregates stone dust etc. I never had a auger so can't really say accept most not liking them. I only pay $12.00 a ton for stone dust. In this neck of the woods we use Smith or Air flow spreaders.

FourDiamond

The strikers are direct drive motors for chain and spinner, and they are very easy to clean-out. The Tornadoes have a chain from the motor to a drive pulley . Also the Tornadoes have a sloped screen so the large pieces tend to migrate down to the hinged lids, so to close the lids you need to crawl on top. The Striker has a flat screen so you can tarp the loader even with chunks on the screen, Also the Tornado lids are way too heavy. Much easier to tarp the striker. That's my opinion anyway. But for certain the two are completely different products.

JMHConstruction

PlowSite Fanatic
I helped a friend install his new striker, and was impressed with it. And western puts their module vertical (hint, hint BOSS!). Everything is very easy to get to, grease fittings are easily accessible, and the accessory box keeps all extra wiring for lights or whatever very clean.

Ajlawn1

PlowSite Fanatic
The strikers are direct drive motors for chain and spinner, and they are very easy to clean-out. The Tornadoes have a chain from the motor to a drive pulley . Also the Tornadoes have a sloped screen so the large pieces tend to migrate down to the hinged lids, so to close the lids you need to crawl on top. The Striker has a flat screen so you can tarp the loader even with chunks on the screen, Also the Tornado lids are way too heavy. Much easier to tarp the striker. That's my opinion anyway. But for certain the two are completely different products.

New Tornado's are direct drive feed chain... And actually the sloped top makes it alot nicer compared to flat top due to shedding the chunks away vs. resting on top. I've had VBX and Salt Mutts get so full of chunks they would not load anymore without cleaning the grates off... This is a huge plus in my opinion...

As for the lids they are actually better for keeping material out of the beds upon overloading and spilling... I cannot remember the last time we've tarped or closed the lids... Haven't had a Striker so was curious the big difference...

Mr.Markus

PlowSite Fanatic
Another difference is in the shute design.
The tornado flow hits an open spinner, the striker spinner is enclosed and can jam on chunks that make it past the gate. Not a big deal if you have good material.

Top Forums