1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Best blade for Rangers?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by fuzzbawl, Sep 30, 2002.

  1. fuzzbawl

    fuzzbawl Junior Member
    Messages: 1

    I have been heavily thinking about getting a blade for my '99 Ford Ranger 4x4. It's got the beasty 4.0L engine, which I've heard does a nice job at towing/plowing. I have two questions. First, what brand/model of blade is recommended for Rangers? Any specifics or is there just a set weight/size to look at? My second question is, I don't have the off-road suspension package on this truck, is that an issue? I've heard you need to have a good suspension before using a truck to plow.

    Messages: 82

    you can go to any of the plow dealer web sites and they will reccomend a plow for your application (meyer, western, boss, fischer, ect. ect.) you will need to get the front axle rating off your truck, should be inside the drivers door. the best plow to buy is going to be from the dealer who will take care of you!!! you may have to do something to strengthen the front suspension on the ranger. (load boosters) good luck:waving:

    Messages: 82

    also try the search on the top right corner. search ford ranger it will bring up previous discussions that may be helpful. welcome aboard:waving:
  4. Big Nate's Plowing

    Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,266

    of all the rangers that I have seen with a plow 90% are Meyer 2 meter plows, the other 10% is snoway 18 series

  5. snowplowjay

    snowplowjay Banned
    Messages: 890

    Ive seen a few fishers i think theres one on snowplownews.com pictured and ive seen snoways and westerns. If you want a trip edge go with the fisher but if its up to a full trip then you have many choices as you can see.

  6. Mike 97 SS

    Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.
    Messages: 1,106

    We used to have a new ranger back in 1991, it was 4x4 with the little 2.9L 6 cylinder 5 speed. It had a Western 6'6" uni mount snowplow. We never had a problem with the plow, but that little Ranger was starting to fall apart it seemed after a few seasons. Not saying you cant plow with it, you sure as hell can, it did a good job with normal sized snowstorms and considering you have the 4.0L, you should do ever better. Take a look at the Western 6'6" plow, it looked good on the ole Ranger. Mike
  7. Jerre Heyer

    Jerre Heyer Senior Member
    Messages: 948

    Ranger Plow


    Hang a tape measure from outside to outside on your tires and you'll see that Ford, just like Dodge, has widened the front end of your truck. You'll need almost 7' to angle and still clear the tires.

    Meyer and Sno-Way have blades to do this. Sno-Way has a 6'8" blade. You may want to check with your BLIZZARD plow rep if you have one in your area. The Ranger mounts are in the works. A 7' Plow weighs in at #528 for that truck.

    As was already posted, Air bags or spring upgrade may be necessary though. Good luck, Jerre