Snow Plowing Forum banner
81 - 100 of 104 Posts
i didnt see one? i saw the DOT then that and i thought that was it...idk? lol i can run back out there and take a better look if thats not it.

well if thats it it was made the 10th week in 1993 and youd think a 15 yr old tire would look like crap

lol possibly, they guy i bought them from said he bought them in '05 and ran them 2 winters on his daily driver tahoe..the studds were gone but they had 90% tread left..so i had my tire shop re-studd them and they said they were good to go..

so im confused

some tires have dot on both sides. but only mf date on 1 side. the pic posted looks like the non date code side.

crap, and its dark out now :(

Discussion starter · #89 ·
Will I be safe running 285/75/R16's on my stock rims?

yes lol it'll work just fine.

Discussion starter · #91 ·
91AK250;624131 said:
yes lol it'll work just fine.
I'm just checking- if I'm gonna drop around $900 in tires in want to make damn sure they're gonna work well!;)

mkwl;624123 said:
Will I be safe running 285/75/R16's on my stock rims?
Yes thats what im running (on factory wheels) and they work fine. Some people say they are too wide but many people run them without issue. I personally mounted mine and im sure you arent going to have any issue getting yours mounted.

I just got a set of BF Goodrich A/T Commercial Traction tires mounted on my F250. 235/85-16. They cost $150 a piece including mounting/balancing and a road hazard warranty from BJ's.

The slimmer the tire the less lift you'll have from driving in snow. It's not that 235's go through snow and 285's go over snow. But the wider your tires are - you'll have proportionally more lift from all the snow getting under them. It's just physics, and perhaps a little common sense.

Besides - not only are bigger tires less effective - they're a good bit more expensive, around $30 more when i priced the tires i got in 265/75-16.

and it seems like everyone on this thread is commenting on how they think that bigger tires look better. I don't necessarily agree. To me function comes first on a work truck. So yea, if your truck is used for fetching firewood up in the hills, then big tires would look good. But when i see plow trucks with big beefy M&S tires it looks dumb, because I know they spent more money on less effective mud tires.

big beefy M&S=M>S
slim M&S=M< S

Edit: My Ford tires only came in 235 and 265 sizes from the factory. There is no way i would needlessly "upgrade" to 285's.

And not only do bigger tires not work as well in snow, and cost more, but they burn more fuel! and gas prices are going back up to where they were a few months ago, you can count on that.

Unless you get wider rims I would go 265's the 285's are too wide for the stock 6.5' or 7' rim. I had 305's on my ford instead of the 275's that come on it, they looked like ballons and the ride sucked. The truck had vibration's on the highway and under load they looked like they were going to pop off. Mpg will suffer about 2mpg from what I heard. With the 285's you should have at least a 8' rim and one more thing alot of places will not install them because if something happens they would be liable. I changed mine in less then 1k because I hated them they looked good but that was it.

Fat tires have no place on plow truck. Function first, when it comes to a work truck. The wider the tire, the more it will ride on top of the snow. You want the tires to dig in the snow and get down to pavement. I have never seen a MT tire that ran on snow very well either.

simoncx;624650 said:
Unless you get wider rims I would go 265's the 285's are too wide for the stock 6.5' or 7' rim. I had 305's on my ford instead of the 275's that come on it, they looked like ballons and the ride sucked. The truck had vibration's on the highway and under load they looked like they were going to pop off. Mpg will suffer about 2mpg from what I heard. With the 285's you should have at least a 8' rim and one more thing alot of places will not install them because if something happens they would be liable. I changed mine in less then 1k because I hated them they looked good but that was it.
Right, mnost tire shops around here, will not install that wide of a tire on less than a 8" wide rim. Just too much liability involved.

Discussion starter · #99 ·
B&B;610288 said:
305-70-17 for the summer months.

265-75-16 for the snow season.

Both load range D.
Do you have the MTZ's or the ATZ's for plowing?

simoncx;624650 said:
I had 315s on stock rims with no issues.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.