• SnowCare For Troops Expands To Include Healthcare Workers
    Project EverGreen expands its SnowCare for Troops program to help healthcare professionals. Volunteers from the snow and landscape industries can provide snow and ice removal services to nominated healthcare heroes. Click here to read more.

Beefing up front suspension

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
No worries, I really dig the older fords and what people have done to them to beef them up for work trucks. I’m just trying to decide if I should just do an add a leaf, or replace the springs and shocks before the snow starts to fly.
X code springs is the way to go with new u bolts, replace the shocks if needed. I gravitate towards Bilstiens

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
I don't want to take away from the OP, but it is just an XL(Vinyl bench seat, roll down windows, am/fm only, A/c , I think the sticker was $29K or so, either 3,600 or 4,200 for power stroke option, been offered $23,000 for it, just want to keep it only thing I had done two years ago was new oil pan, old one wasn't bad, but didn't want trouble, they pulled the engine out and did a few other things when the motor was out

sorry OP
Mine is equipped the same but with a 460 and has a 5spd stick, white with flat bed

magnatrac

PlowSite.com Addict
No worries, I really dig the older fords and what people have done to them to beef them up for work trucks. I’m just trying to decide if I should just do an add a leaf, or replace the springs and shocks before the snow starts to fly.
Add a leaf is not for the front suspension. Get a new spring pack or head to the spring shop and they'll do it properly.

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
They make them but you'll get a much better ride out of full spring packs. I've used them on the rear many times but would never want them on the front.
Ok.... I've used them up front to bring "life" back to worn out spring packs due to them sagging. I've found mixed results are related to the length and position of the add a leaf. Short add a leaf's that are positioned towards the bottom of the spring pack give a choppy ride were long add a leaf's that are positioned towards the top of the spring pack (2nd or 3rd leaf from the main spring) don't have mulch affect on ride quality.

OP
SunshineDaydream

SunshineDaydream

HD kit

I'm going to order this kit when I get a chance. It's saying X code, 3 leafs and 3900lb capacity for each spring. I was able to crack loose every bolt last night by hand except the front spring 24mm bolt behind the bumper. Is that the hardest one to remove? Once I remove the bumper & plow mount I should be able to get a pipe for better leverage.

Also looking at Bilstein 4600 HD front shocks.

Randall Ave

PlowSite Fanatic
HD kit

I'm going to order this kit when I get a chance. It's saying X code, 3 leafs and 3900lb capacity for each spring. I was able to crack loose every bolt last night by hand except the front spring 24mm bolt behind the bumper. Is that the hardest one to remove? Once I remove the bumper & plow mount I should be able to get a pipe for better leverage.

Also looking at Bilstein 4600 HD front shocks.
Take a look at that again, I think they are two leaf, three inch wide springs.

Bonner

I've got 2 trucks I installed "X" code front springs on. One is an 01 350 and a 02 250, they work great, gave me about a 1/2 to 3/4" rise in front end without load. I run on both trucks 9.6 V-plows one Fisher and other Western, they handle alot better that the stock spring packs did. I think I ordered them online through SD springs and they were not that bad on price.

OP
SunshineDaydream

SunshineDaydream

I ordered the x code leaf spring kit from SD springs. New hardware, leaf springs, and hardware. The u bolts they gave me didn't fit and were shipped much later so I went with new u bolts from partsgeek.

They brought the front end up about 3/4" or so. Night and day difference with the plow mounted.

I've been out four times so far this season plowing and I'm very happy with the new springs. Picked up some new v bar chains for a couple steeper driveways that I'll probably have to use the next storm cycle.