Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running an 8ft plow on an 04 f350. Recently, when out plowing the battery light came on. It comes on and off. I've tested batteries which are fairly new and they're at full charge. Taken the alternator out twice and had tested twice at O reiley's and Auto Zone. Both said alternator was good. Not too confident in them as they seemed like they struggled with the tests. I have noticed last night when reconnecting the plow that the dome light dims when pressing buttons on plow control. I still think it may be an alternator issue. Any ideas or past experiences? Should I go with larger altenator?

· Registered
1,995 Posts
I had to upgrade the stock alternator in my 2006 F 350 5.4l when I first got it due to this issue. Wasn’t much of an increase in the amps (think only from 135 to 145), but it did really reduce the draw down and it’s bern good since.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had to upgrade the stock alternator in my 2006 F 350 5.4l when I first got it due to this issue. Wasn't much of an increase in the amps (think only from 135 to 145), but it did really reduce the draw down and it's bern good since.
I had to upgrade the stock alternator in my 2006 F 350 5.4l when I first got it due to this issue. Wasn't much of an increase in the amps (think only from 135 to 145), but it did really reduce the draw down and it's bern good since.
Thanks! This darn battery light is going to drive me nuts so almost positive I'll upgrade alternator as well.

· Registered
295 Posts
Its a codition of alot of draw in a short ammount of time.

First off take appart and clean every batterys connection, alternator, plow and ground connections.

If your going to keep the original alternator or upgrade it i suggest you upgrade the power wire at the alternator and the ground to the alternator. Many stock wireing systems are hardly capable of getting the amps from the alternator to the battery.

im sure theres going to be someone that comes along and says you need more batterys. Not realy the case.

· Registered
4,224 Posts
If you've been running this plow with no problems in the past,and if the batteries and alternator test good I'd check and clean connections as advised by Brettny.Then I would have the amp draw of plow motor checked. Don't throw unneeded parts at it if its a failing 100$ motor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.