Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 which is tried and true over the years and a lot of miles with little to no $$ put into truck but last couple days at shop truck is always dead. Charge here n there and usually takes right off. Well out auto store had a winter sale of batteries so thought might as well get a new one. The old one was almost 4 years old but guess what - to no avail. Every morning its dead. Thoughts?

Now I have a 07 that started the same thing two days ago. Were cursed with batteries! But this truck has sander n plow on but I unhooked both things to see what would happen and still dead this morning. No lights, nothing, just dead. Put jumper on it and starts right off.

Need HELP!!

· Banned
13,443 Posts
I have an 03 which is tried and true over the years and a lot of miles with little to no $$ put into truck but last couple days at shop truck is always dead. Charge here n there and usually takes right off. Well out auto store had a winter sale of batteries so thought might as well get a new one. The old one was almost 4 years old but guess what - to no avail. Every morning its dead. Thoughts?

Now I have a 07 that started the same thing two days ago. Were cursed with batteries! But this truck has sander n plow on but I unhooked both things to see what would happen and still dead this morning. No lights, nothing, just dead. Put jumper on it and starts right off.

Need HELP!!
Unhook the battery when your done for the day, hook back up in the morning, if the truck starts you have a draw somewhere.

· Registered
295 Posts
You can do it with a meter but most meters only have a 10a fuse. Test lights are cheap. Disconnect the positive terminal from the battery, hook test light from battery terminal to battery lug you just removed. If its lit bright you have something making a ground (a draw).

· Registered
15,304 Posts
Dont need anything over 10a... or close to it to do a paracidic draw test....with the key off and all the puters asleep, your draw needs to be under like.5 ma

· Registered
18,088 Posts
You would think.
Pretty sure a 10amp draw would leave you stranded in about 2.5 hrs (respectively) on a 100% perfect charge battery in a perfect world if my math is correct.

Amps = Power/ Voltage
So to get a 10 amp draw you need 10amp x 12v = 120 watts

12v system x 50 amp hour battery = 600 watt hours
600 watt hour / 120 watts = 5 hours till zero
or short and sweet way
50 amp hours / by 10 amp draw = 5 hours till zero

Since you need in the neighborhood of 50% of your battery power on a standard starting battery (not a deep cycle) to get the old starter to take a spin, that gives you about 2.5 hours till his starter would not go. (perfect battery condition and not figuring any extra load due to other variables)

I do understand that he could have upgraded battery or batteries with more amp hours, but it does not appear to be much more than a standard plain jane truck battery to me.

· Premium Member
17,282 Posts
100% perfect charge battery in a perfect world if my math is correct.

Amps = Power/ Voltage
So to get a 10 amp draw you need 10amp x 12v = 120 watts

12v system x 50 amp hour battery = 600 watt hours
600 watt hour / 120 watts = 5 hours till zero
or short and sweet way
50 amp hours / by 10 amp draw = 5 hours till zero
Now you're just screwing with @Mark Oomkes, aren't you?

· Registered
89 Posts
Is the abs light on

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.