Snow Plowing Forum banner

bad head gasket??? help

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  MickiRig1 
#1 ·
my 88 chevy k1500 the motor was rebuilt about 45,000 miles ago runs good and all it was bored 40 over and now when i shift to third and give it gas it puffs out a little white smoke and some times into 2nd some said a bad head gasket others say valve guide seals but oil would burn blue and coolant/water white what should i do??? help!!!!

thanks
joey

#2 ·
i recently cracked my head on my k1500 and the was white smoke pouring out of the exhaust, i would prolly guess that it would be a head gasket, pull your plugs and see if they are wet with colant, if so you might have a carcked head or bad head gasket. if you run a chevy hot you run the risk of cracking or dishing out the heads. not a cheap fix, so look into it before it get to a expensive repair like mine did!

#4 ·
Keep an eye on the fluids. If your loosing antifreeze or oil you may have a problem. A little smoke may not be a real problem. It could be just a valve seal or something minor.

#5 ·
yea i would do what mickirig1 said then, just keep an eye on the fluids and make sure nothing is getting in the oil, could be valve seats aswell!

#8 ·
Keep checking the oil before you start it in the morning for a little while. If your getting antifreeze on the oil. You may have something that looks like brown snot at the top of the oil level on the dip stick. Make sure your PCV is not clogged up and still rattles when shook. Wipe it clean and make sure you can still suck a little air through the vacuum side. Make sure you have vacuum at the line when it's running too. Pull the PCV out of the grommet while running and put your finger on the end. It should have a weak vacuum. Might consider running some motor flush in the crankcase before the next oil change. Make sure you follow the directions on the can or jug! It may make the problem worse too if it's valve seals. Sometimes the oil drain holes get a little plugged up and it lets oil pool in the heads more then normal. Or just keep an eye on it. The body may die long before the engine does.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.