Snow Plowing Forum banner

Back up lights

9K views 41 replies 21 participants last post by  joshg 
#1 ·
Bought 2 round led (2100 Lumens) lights for my 95 1500. Not sure I can wire them to the back up lights or just use the CIG lighter and a switch.

#3 ·
Why aren't you sure you can wire to your rev lights?

#5 ·
dodgegmc1213;1853076 said:
Sure you can wire them to you back up lights. If you want them on when not in reverse then a switch with a fuse
I had them hooked up to the cig lighter last year. Too many wires and always had to switch on and off.

dieselss;1853112 said:
Why aren't you sure you can wire to your rev lights?
Proper knowledge of wiring, proper tools, no garage, and lack proper dexterity in my left hand.

Northman;1853374 said:
Mine are wired to reverse and mounted under bumper. Makes its nice to see what I am hitting. :laughing:
A friend of mine (who owns a shop) said I could come by, find the reverse wire for me and hook something up.

Was curious as to how everyone else handled their reverse lights (additions) to help see when plowing.

Thank you everyone!

#6 ·
Usually a switch. So you can turn them on when wanted

#7 ·
I have mine wired with my back up light on the flatbed, so I technically have 4 reverse lights, this year ima add a spot light to my back rack and have it wired to the cargo light switch, and then I always got the salter light, trucks like a Christmas tree at night with the strobes on lol

#9 ·
dieselss;1853961 said:
Usually a switch. So you can turn them on when wanted
That's how I kinda had them hooked up last year. Just a wire to a switch to the cig lighter. It was difficult at times esp if they plug fell out lol.

dodgegmc1213;1853986 said:
I have mine wired with my back up light on the flatbed, so I technically have 4 reverse lights, this year ima add a spot light to my back rack and have it wired to the cargo light switch, and then I always got the salter light, trucks like a Christmas tree at night with the strobes on lol
Wish I had a salter! I have one business I help out, they have a small hill that is slick as snot in the winter. Guess I don't really need a salter, just get my butt out there and toss some. I like having as much light at night.

C&T Landscaping;1854035 said:
I have mine hooked up to the reverse wire via a relay. My lights draw way more than my reverse lights and woulda smoked the thin wire if I just hooked it up straight to the wire.
That's my concern. I have 2 LED lights to install, worried if I do get them hooked up to the reverse lights it will melt the wiring.

#10 ·
Leds draw less then regular lights. If done properly you won't melt the wiring. But imo still better to wire in to a separate switch

#11 ·
Citrausa;1853046 said:
Bought 2 round led (2100 Lumens) lights for my 95 1500. Not sure I can wire them to the back up lights or just use the CIG lighter and a switch.
Just search "reverse lights" or "backup lights". You will be reading for quite a long time.
T.J.

#12 ·
It might be much more simple to wire them directly to the battery. This is pretty easy, just run a negative wire to the chassis, and a positive wire with an inline fuse to the battery.

#13 ·
Citrausa;1854506 said:
That's how I kinda had them hooked up last year. Just a wire to a switch to the cig lighter. It was difficult at times esp if they plug fell out lol.

Wish I had a salter! I have one business I help out, they have a small hill that is slick as snot in the winter. Guess I don't really need a salter, just get my butt out there and toss some. I like having as much light at night.

That's my concern. I have 2 LED lights to install, worried if I do get them hooked up to the reverse lights it will melt the wiring.
it shouldnt melt. Like dieselss said, leds use less draw. Hook the ground to a good spot and the positive to the reverse wire.

#14 ·
Tom@AWL;1854527 said:
It might be much more simple to wire them directly to the battery. This is pretty easy, just run a negative wire to the chassis, and a positive wire with an inline fuse to the battery.
That might be an option if my buddy can't help

TJS;1854522 said:
Just search "reverse lights" or "backup lights". You will be reading for quite a long time.
T.J.
Thank you, I will do a better job of researching for other projects.

dieselss;1854510 said:
Leds draw less then regular lights. If done properly you won't melt the wiring. But imo still better to wire in to a separate switch
I forgot about that. So yes they should. I'd love to have it wired separately but time, money, knowledge and etc.

dodgegmc1213;1854566 said:
it shouldnt melt. Like dieselss said, leds use less draw. Hook the ground to a good spot and the positive to the reverse wire.
Think that's the way I'm going if my friend can help.

#15 ·
I forgot about that. So yes they should. I'd love to have it wired separately but time, money, knowledge and etc.

I can point you in the Wright direction if you would like. I can give you an estimated guess as to prices also.

#16 ·
dieselss;1854593 said:

I can point you in the Wright direction if you would like. I can give you an estimated guess as to prices also.
My ex brother inlaw who owns a shop showed me the lil green wire I can scott lock into (?) to add back up lights. I think I know what he means by the locks. So that shouldn't be too bad to do. Guess I need to read more, do more and gain more tool lol

#17 ·
NOOOOOOOOOOO, NO SCOTCH LOKS EVER!! He don't know what he's talking about
I have pics of them things failing. Do it right PERIOD.

#20 ·
dieselss;1855140 said:
NOOOOOOOOOOO, NO SCOTCH LOKS EVER!! He don't know what he's talking about
I have pics of them things failing. Do it right PERIOD.
Damn already hooked them up.

dodgegmc1213;1855165 said:
X3!!
I found that out the hard way. Use heat shrink butt connectors.
The location of the locks are inside the bed housing where the tail light sits. I used some dielectric grease too.

#21 ·
It don't matter. Those are an accident waiting to happen. I'd redo it if I were you

#23 ·
Citrausa;1857952 said:
Damn already hooked them up.

The location of the locks are inside the bed housing where the tail light sits. I used some dielectric grease too.
you should be fine. i have scotch lock connections with dielectric grease then taped under my 88 since sept 1988 for the trailer lights, and never once had any problems with them

#24 · (Edited)
I will wire a 7 pin plug to my back up lights and use the trailer plug to power them. Will mount them on wood stakes in the rear stake pockets. After the storm is cleaned up, off they come.

#25 ·
I just wired a pair to my truck using a relay and a 7 pin trl plug. take your auxillary wire from the truckside trl plug to power the relay, use the reverse wire to trigger the relay, ground the relay through the truckside plug and connect the light to the relay. Plug it in and your done. Let the relay carry the load of the lights.

#26 ·
If you're willing to do the wiring, put a two-way toggle switch wherever you want (dash, even glovebox/center console is a good spot for this in this case) and set it up so that you can choose between having the lights totally off, switched on independently (battery/fuse block >>> switch position 1), or on the reverse circuit (tap reverse circuit >>> switch position 2).

More work but worth it if that's what you want. Fused, of course!!

Scotch-Locks are kind of the half-ass way of doing it. I think the best way to do anything is crimp-on connectors or soldering, taped over with electrical tape or heat shrink.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.