Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember me. Some of you may not.

I had some threads last year regarding a large commercial account, those threads were locked by Michael due to arguments.

I made it through last season with flying colors after fixing up a beater of a truck. It's going to be the same truck this year and I'm hoping to carry through another season. So, here's to those of us getting by with what we have!

I was able to maintain the zero tolerance policy and keep this lot slip free during operating hours. Many argued that I am hurting the industry by giving such service, but it is what it is and it's working for me.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I ran beaters for years until I got enough coin and clients to get new equipment. You have to start somewhere but keep your goals in mind and your prices up. It’s the quality of service and the reliability that matters.

·
Super Moderator
10,906 Posts
Maybe one day you’ll learn ZT is impossible 100% of the time.

it’s ok to teach the client as long as you’re not condescending, they hired you because you are the “professional”.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dude, I started 3 yrs ago cuz my buddy (also neighbor) owned a lawncare and snow removal biz and offered me snow plow work if i had a truck and plow. So i bought a pile of **** 2500hd and a pos westy 7.6 straightblade with whopped out springs, fast forward to 2020 I have a loader, 3 v plows, a straight blade, 2 hitch spreaders and a vbox bulk spreader, 14 commercial accounts one of which a 10 acre fedex freight hub. My trucks are all decent but still piles of **** haha, newest one is an 07.
You can absolutely start with ****, ya just gotta want it bad enough, we literally just had a 20hr nasty storm with 12"+ of wet heavy. 40hrs in 2 days thats what it takes. finally at home resting after what i honestly thought was going to be the death of me.

good luck dude

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This truck is shot and gone. I have a nicer 2002 2500HD now that received a new plow last week.

This upgrade is a result of the first old beater truck getting the job done for 2 seasons.

It may not be much but I've been able to work up to a much newer/nicer setup for this season along with more accounts.

·
Registered
58,558 Posts

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Just because it's old,doesn't mean it's junk.
I have 3 80's chevy's that I would drive anywhere. If you want to pay for the gas.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Just because it's old,doesn't mean it's junk.
I have 3 80's chevy's that I would drive anywhere. If you want to pay for the gas.
Your right.
Older equipment is not the same as **** equipment.
Great functioning is the key. Good wiring good welds.
Fixing things that break, right away, dont let needed repairs build up.
Can of spray paint goes a long way on a plow, that works good.

Reactions: jonniesmooth

·
Registered
58,558 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hard to see in the photo but the truck itself is very solid. Minimal rust everywhere, new cab rockers at one point or another. Some rust happening there on the front quarter panel and the rear cab corner of the other side. Hope she gets me through a couple seasons! Plow is a brand new 8'2" V XT

I still need to get my headlights dialed in, the installer did not do that but left the bolts loose so that I can get them where I want them. They don't seem super bright for being LED, but they have to be better than the old halogens on my other plow. How do you guys align the headlight? I assume like a normal headlight where I pull up to my building and shine them and then get them set as they should be. Same thing?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Get a good local mechanic you trust to go through it. Then talk to people who use the same truck to get this 2 cents.
For us those trucks were reliable. We did the following:
1. Regular oil and fluid changes of all systems.
2. Clean the brake caliper sliders annually.
3. Watch the fuel and brake lines for corrosion.
4. The fuel pumps should be replaced when needed with Delphi only. Others can screw with the computer.
5. MAP sensors can go. Also should be DELPHI.

Get in the habit of thoroughly washing your rigs after each event, get under and into them. All older trucks like to have small stuff go from time to time.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had my mechanic go through it over the summer. $2100 worth of crap. New brake booster because it was leaking, new rear axle seals, diff fluid, new rear brakes. Before I got it all of the brake lines had been replaced. The fuel lines look better than my 2008 silverado, so they've either been replaced or they just haven't seen the salt like the other truck.

I had this as a personal truck this summer. Hauled my camper on some 3 hour trips as well as my boat almost every weekend. I was able to work out all the kinks at least I hope. The one thing I did a couple weeks ago was the fan clutch, it wasn't running right and noticed the engine temp starting to climb at idle this fall.

I bought some easy pressure washer winterizer in a can that i'm hoping to be able to use as needed so that when I get home I can pressure wash the underside after storms instead of washing it at the car wash then driving home through all the salt again.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts