Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Chevy Silverado truck and a new 7' 6" Fisher plow that the two times I have detached plow and tried to reattach the plow is too low to drive into cradling mechanism. I have placed supports under the plow arm to raise it but will not fully engage so pins enter holes in truck attachment bars. Am on level, cement surface but the plow always drops lower than the truck attachment arms. It took some time to finagle the mechanisms the first time and am in the same place again this time.
RWB

· Registered
2,017 Posts
I don’t know if this would apply to your Fisher plow, but maybe it will help - when I take off my Western MVP, I first put it float (engine still running) and get out and manually push the lift ram all of the down. That gives more play in the headgear.

In addition, after it’s off, when I go to put it back on, I push the headgear forward a bit to angle the attachment points at the base up more.

· Registered
2,017 Posts
Also......one other thing I do is spray WD40 on both the plow and truck brackets where they come together- helps not only in putting the plow on, but helps to keep the plow from sticking when taking it off (so you don’t drag it back trying to shake it loose)

· Registered
1,172 Posts
My guess is u r not doing what western1 suggested. This helps bc when taking off the front end is loaded but when hooking up it isnt. Making sure you get max height when removing by pushing up will help

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 2017 Chevy Silverado truck and a new 7' 6" Fisher plow that the two times I have detached plow and tried to reattach the plow is too low to drive into cradling mechanism. I have placed supports under the plow arm to raise it but will not fully engage so pins enter holes in truck attachment bars. Am on level, cement surface but the plow always drops lower than the truck attachment arms. It took some time to finagle the mechanisms the first time and am in the same place again this time.
RWB
It is a Fisher SD. Thanks evyone for your suggestions once I get it back on will try all of them and in combination where applicable. Will follow,up with any success I have and fixes that worked.
Rob

· Registered
6,266 Posts
RWB
Sounds to me like you have 2, possibly 3 problems here.

First, as others suggested, when taking it off, put the plow in float mode, then get out and push down on the lift arm (Triangle thing). This step is paramount.

Second, I don't care what methods you use, the headgear, more often than not, will tilt back some when taking it off, if not when it's just sitting there in between use. This will mess up your alignment some when reattaching. The easiest way to mount it is to have a second person to pull back, or push forward on the headgear to align it with your truck as you drive into it. When solo, simply get as close as you can to the plow without coming into contact with it, and adjust the headgear by pulling it forward, or pushing it backwards to get it at the same height as the push plates on the truck, then gently pull the truck in the rest of the way while watching the headgear closely to make sure it doesn't move while you're getting back behind the wheel and driving into it.

Third, another thing that could be playing a roll here is when you dismount it, you could be at that precarious height where you're not putting the jack stand down enough to hit the right hole. To eliminate that as a possibility, follow these steps everytime:

1. Drop the blade, and put the controller into float mode.

2. Put the truck in park, but do NOT turn it off, then get out of the truck and push down on the lift arm all the way

3. Pull the jack stand release handle. IMPORTANT - IF the jack stand automatically locks into a hole once it hits the floor at this step, this maybe your problem, IF you're doing everything else right, and this is the case, put a 12"X12" piece of plywood, or other spacer under the jack stand first.

4. Go around the front of the plow and push & hold the headgear all the way back towards the truck as far as you can push it, while holding it in that position, pull the release arm for the locking pins, THEN let the headgear go.

5. Disconnect electrical connectors and back out of the plow keeping your wheels straight until you're all the way clear of the plow.

· Registered
4,305 Posts
If you're on a concrete surface drop it on 3 harbor freight dollies, put it in float like already mentioned and push headgear down an inch or so,drop the jack and off it comes. Putting it on should take 60 seconds.Roll it to truck ,grab head gear and pull till right height and push it on. All our plows are on dollies and we can hook them up in minutes. If it was a snowdogg that's a whole different tragic story !

· Registered
875 Posts
I use the #4 method as RepoMan207 suggests.
I still have the cable and spring that compresses the lift ram, I still visually check 2 make sure its fully retracted.
Like has been said Ur probably between holes on jack stand, by pushing head gear back mine locks and then I pull handle releasing pins.
I don't think dropping onto dollies will help U.
Mike

· Registered
6,266 Posts
Dollies are a bad idea imo... well, not entirely, just in part, and secondary, p.i.t.a to mount and dismount with the jack dolly, I always dropped the blade on them, then used a floor jack to put the jack stand on one ONCE the plow was off the truck. Damn thing would bash off the hood and rock away when trying to use it otherwise.

· Registered
4,305 Posts
Dollies are a bad idea imo... well, not entirely, just in part, and secondary, p.i.t.a to mount and dismount with the jack dolly, I always dropped the blade on them, then used a floor jack to put the jack stand on one ONCE the plow was off the truck. Damn thing would bash off the hood and rock away when trying to use it otherwise.
I take some pictures and change your world !

· Registered
4,305 Posts
I use the #4 method as RepoMan207 suggests.
I still have the cable and spring that compresses the lift ram, I still visually check 2 make sure its fully retracted.
Like has been said Ur probably between holes on jack stand, by pushing head gear back mine locks and then I pull handle releasing pins.
I don't think dropping onto dollies will help U.
Mike
I'll post pics and not only change your world but will also rock it !:terribletowel:

· Registered
4,305 Posts
Ok,rock on. The popular dolly system is used on fairly level surfaces. Position truck within 50' of plow,roll plow to truck and push it into the truckside pushplates.Raise handle up, push headgear up and raise handle to engage pins. Pull jack pin handle , raise jack and engage jack pin.Remove dollys from under plow. Hook up plugs and drive away. Notice jack dolly, it has angle stock so the jack fits right in with no chance of falling off. This can be done with a wood dolly if you're a complete hooser .Sorry no video, just blink really fast and scroll. And they're completely out of order to protect my exact method.
Automotive tire Tire Wheel Automotive exterior Gas
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Workwear Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Car Vehicle registration plate
Wood Motor vehicle Asphalt Automotive tire Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Hood Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas
Wood Gas Composite material Concrete Tints and shades

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Workwear Motor vehicle

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.