Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering at what temp., if any do you not salt. With these record low temps. I've had a couple commercial customers ask if we're still going to salt and in years past it's gotten down to negative temps but nothing like this and when we've salted in years past when in the 0F- -10F and applied at a normal rate there wasn't much melting going on. Just curious what others do.

Reactions: shawn_

· Registered
15,571 Posts
Just wondering at what temp., if any do you not salt. With these record low temps. I've had a couple commercial customers ask if we're still going to salt and in years past it's gotten down to negative temps but nothing like this and when we've salted in years past when in the 0F- -10F and applied at a normal rate there wasn't much melting going on. Just curious what others do.
If the lots weren't bare pavement prior to-10, or lower, salt probably won't work.
Fortunately, we do mostly small lots, so we can blend calcium chloride.
Noticed the city here salting streets at 1am. The temp was -15 and the streets had a little slush on them. At 7am, the temp was -20 and the streets are crusty.

· Registered
60,321 Posts
Normally we continue as well, just been short on manpower the last couple days.

· Registered
16,516 Posts
A lot of it depends if the sun is out or not. We salted yesterday morning after mondays storm with sun out a sum. Today we only salted (cc) walks, its just too cold for the lots and I was afraid of refreeze to ice.

· Registered
15,792 Posts

· Registered
60,321 Posts
Roads here appear to be hard pack but are actually solid ice.

County has been dribbling salt.

The hope/plan is to start salting our lots tonight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.