Anyone using these block heater controllers yet?

SnoFarmer

Banned
same thing

Activates when surrounding temperature drops to 35°
Turns off at 45° to save energy.
Just asking...

How is this going to work. when the heat tape reaches 45* it shuts off.

how will this work with a block heater?
will it shut off when the heating element reaches 45*

in other words it will be stitching on at 35* and off all the time and the element will only reach 45*?

or am i missing something?

Aerospace Eng

2000 Club Member
There is a thermal element in the "cube" that you plug into. Basically when the cube is above a certain temperature, it switches off the output. When the cube is below a certain temperature it turns it on. So the cube needs to be outside.

It has nothing to do with the temperature of the element, which may have additional built in thermostats. I use similar ones to control heat tape on water spigots.

SnoFarmer

Banned
Aerospace Eng;2068253 said:
There is a thermal element in the "cube" that you plug into. Basically when the cube is above a certain temperature, it switches off the output. When the cube is below a certain temperature it turns it on. So the cube needs to be outside.

It has nothing to do with the temperature of the element, which may have additional built in thermostats. I use similar ones to control heat tape on water spigots.
so it comes when the ambient temp is 35* then
stays on until the ambient temp is 45* regardless of what is plugged it to it.

i dont know why but i thought it was the temp of the heat temp, it didn't sound right but...
now i know it didn't
thanks, for clearing that up.

Sprag-O

I have a thermal cube and hydroponic timer, entire setups good for 1500 watts...

I have the timer set to 2 hours before I normally get moving, and a 35/45 thermo cube.

Each time the power cycles the cube resets, if it's not under 35, or doesn't dip under 35 for the few hours the trucks heating in the morning, it never runs the block heater.

Works great for me as I normally have a set time I start my routes in the morning. Entire setup ran around $30.