Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys I have a 2017 Silverado 2500 crew cab with leveling kit and already have the push beam on the lowest setting if I put 35’s on my truck are they going to tall for the plow to sit flat? It’s a 9’2” dxt. Any input back would be great

· Registered
153 Posts
My truck,16 2500hd, is leveled, I run a 265 tire in the winter time. I believe the center of the hole of my push beam height is around 18 in. I haven't discovered any issues as a result of this. However, I'm running a straight blade trip Edge

· Registered
272 Posts
hi guys I have a 2017 Silverado 2500 crew cab with leveling kit and already have the push beam on the lowest setting if I put 35's on my truck are they going to tall for the plow to sit flat? It's a 9'2" dxt. Any input back would be great
I'll be surprised if you can fit 35's on without rubbing with the plow on to begin with. I ran 275/65/20 on mine with leveling kit and they rubbed with the plow on.

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My truck,16 2500hd, is leveled, I run a 265 tire in the winter time. I believe the center of the hole of my push beam height is around 18 in. I haven't discovered any issues as a result of this. However, I'm running a straight blade trip Edge
I just measured it now and I have no ballast in back and it is 15 3/4" to center hole

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll be surprised if you can fit 35's on without rubbing with the plow on to begin with. I ran 275/65/20 on mine with leveling kit and they rubbed with the plow on.
Yes I believe that size is like 1/2" to an inch difference I believe and I heard the 275's rub slightly with plow, that's the size I'm probably gonna go with but 35/11.5/20 do fit these trucks without rubbing and no plow on of course

· Registered
146 Posts
had to pull 35 off my truck (2011 2500HD) as well as remove 6" lift and use stock size tires to get correct plow toe.
this is with readylift leveling kit.
even with bar at lowest setting (which still is) with leveling kit anything taller than stock would not toe correctly on 9.2 vxt even with toe bolt at farthest bolt.

· Registered
17,725 Posts
I know you most likely don't care, but plowing with a 35" tire is going to be rather hard on your drive line. Truck is not geared for that type load with that big of a tire.

And unless things have changed, finding a tall and skinny 35" tire is not that easy. most 35's are rather fat. Fat tires will not cut down to the pavement and tend to float on the snow.

Just food for thought, take it for what you will, but I would recommend stepping down in tire size during plowing and put your big tires on once the season is done.

· Registered
256 Posts
Hi Philiblly. That was definitely a big factor with older truck that had 4 speeds tranny like gmc 4L80 or dodge 48RE. Those have 2.45:1 first gear. Plus most truck then had 3.73 rear end gears.

Newer truck with 6 speed tranny have 4:1 first gear ratio and 4.10: rear end. That over 30% more torque on the ground in first gear compared to older trucks. Going from 33 to 35 inches tires, he is only about 5% bigger then stock too. But yes 35" tires are way to wide for serious plowing.

· Registered
272 Posts
Define "skinny" tire please. While I agree that trying to drive through snow with 14" wide tires would be crazy, I'm curious about your theory.

My personal experience and opinion...I currently run a 295/65/20 tire which is 35x11.5x20. I have had no problems at all with traction. With today's tire technology combined with the weight of these trucks outfitted with plows, salters, back blades can easily weigh 10k. Theres no lack of traction. Not to mention, you're driving where you have already plowed most of the time so wouldn't you want more tire in contact with the pavement for better traction? I know there's a line but I think the "tall, skinny tire" is an old way of thinking.

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I never knew you could drop it that low. I wonder if I would get a better scrape by lowering my push beam height
Absolutely you would! My dxt didn't sit right unless I dropped it, I think rubbing stick tires is probably best for these boss plows, I wish they had more forgiveness with taller tires

· Registered
17,725 Posts
Hi Philiblly. That was definitely a big factor with older truck that had 4 speeds tranny like gmc 4L80 or dodge 48RE. Those have 2.45:1 first gear. Plus most truck then had 3.73 rear end gears.

Newer truck with 6 speed tranny have 4:1 first gear ratio and 4.10: rear end. That over 30% more torque on the ground in first gear compared to older trucks. Going from 33 to 35 inches tires, he is only about 5% bigger then stock too. But yes 35" tires are way to wide for serious plowing.
First gear would not be a huge concern to me on even an older truck. Torque converter makes the magic happen.

In 1st gear his converter is slipping heavily getting him into the power band by slipping. This creates heat. Bigger tires = more slipping = more heat.

But that is not really a huge issue in my opinion as the blade is not full of snow while you are in first gear typically so load is not a factor. It is the taller gears and even reversing if you have a heavy loaded truck.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.