• Vaccine Priority For Essential Snow & Ice Workers?
    Concerned about COVID-19 and/or potential labor shortages? Click here for a letter to health departments from SIMA emphasizing your priority for the COVID vaccine as an "essential" worker.

Anyone else find it impossible to find help?

Brian Young

PlowSite Veteran
I'm so over the lack of help and/or people and they're BS. Our winter has been very mild so far this season but we've had a few big storms and have already been through 6 sidewalk people, 1 main employee quite Christmas Day (we got 30" in a day and a half), and left me in a bad spot, countless excuses why they can't work. Im so sick of hearing "do you pay under the table" because it will screw with their unemployment, sick of hearing "no I'm making enough to get by on unemployment ". One guy was a guy I know that went from having a 6 figure income and quitting to buy a homestead and live a simple life. His money is dried up but has a Wife, 4 or 5 small children and all he makes money with is Youtube videos (like 1200/month), doing welding once in a blue moon and his Wife has a part time job...but needs money because he realized he cant live off of Youtube and the occasional welding job, I offered him a plowing job but didn't like that it was at night mostly...I give up! Already decided to hammer through this year, drop all but a handful of our bigger accounts, run 1 backhoe, trading in our other backhoe on a Wacker Neuson wheel loader and putting a HLA type plow on it to take the place of 2-3 trucks, sell off 2 other trucks, salt spreaders and absolutely stop offering sidewalks. Rant over!

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
Not defending nor encouraging the practice of paying under the table at all, but I have a friend in the same situation currently. Why would he go shovel for $20 an hour in a blizzard while collecting unemployment? If he makes any more than what he would have made while working, he forfeits the same amount from his unemployment, meaning he's working for free. And thanks to all those stimulus packages...

And unfortunately, the kind of people available this time of year on call at any hour of any day are most likely seasonal workers who are on unemployment.

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
I have heard there are ways around the stupid unemployment system...I have no idea if these things are true.

But it is a system setup to create criminals, work more than 1 day a week and they get nothing...but who can survive on 2 or 3 days pay?

Had 1 applicant that stated he didn't need a P/T job after finding out about the extension of the extra "free" money.

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
Had 1 applicant that stated he didn't need a P/T job after finding out about the extension of the extra "free" money.
^-- This. If the amount paid by unemployment was a fraction of what one would make otherwise, maybe people would be willing to work P/T to make up the difference. If the "bonus" cash makes up 100% (or more) of their pay, who in their right mind is going to go shovel for free to lose money?

but who can survive on 2 or 3 days pay?
Lots of people when someone else will pay under the table...

Last edited:
OP
Brian Young

Brian Young

PlowSite Veteran
I guess Ive always been the unfortunate one who had to have 2,3 even 4 jobs at one point (divorce and child support). Its just a sad state when people are content with just getting by. Ive offered my Son (21 year old) a salary to work but he's one of the ones who would rather sit on the couch and work his regular 40 hours at a job he hates then even offer to help out. Our sidewalk route pays 200/ round and takes 7-8 hours to do with one guy using all of our equipment and cant find anyone, sad. Also what gets me is some of these places we do ***** about the same thing (no good help) but yet "why weren't our sidewalks done yet or why did it take you so long to get here". Just sucks that we have plenty of work, turning down work just because we dont have the manpower.

EWSplow

PlowSite Fanatic
Don't get me started.
I just don't get what happened to the workforce in this country. I think its due to enabling.
I've had people ask if I need any help and not show up.
I can't even get subs who are advertising their services to call back. Why advertise if you don't need the work?
Maybe they get a warm and fuzzy feeling by telling themselves they're trying.

Last edited:

Luther

PlowSite Veteran
^-- This. If the amount paid by unemployment was a fraction of what one would make otherwise, maybe people would be willing to work P/T to make up the difference. If the "bonus" cash makes up 100% (or more) of their pay, who in their right mind is going to go shovel for free to lose money?
Liking the new avatar. :nod:

Can't wait to see what you're coming up with on the others...

OP
Brian Young

Brian Young

PlowSite Veteran
Don't get me started.
I just don't get what happened to the workforce in this country. I think its due to enabling.
I've had people ask if I need any help and not show up.
I can't even get subs who are advertising their services to call back. Why advertise if you don't need the work?
Maybe they get a warm and fuzzy feeling by telling themselves they're trying.
Yep! I messaged a guy advertising sidewalk snow shoveling and nada!

WIPensFan

PlowSite Veteran
The seasonal worker/unemployment dilemma has been around since the dawn of time. Finding good help was a problem for my company for the 32 yrs it was operating. Granted, it was worse the last 15 yrs or so. The sidewalk work has also always been a problem.
I honestly don’t understand why special rules and exceptions can’t be made for snow removal workers with regards to unemployment. It’s a necessary labor force that has an unpredictable money stream. Lawmakers just don’t give AF. We are lowly citizens doing menial tasks.
OP, I feel your pain. Try your best to arrange your work with as few employees as possible. And the employees you do have, you should pay well over what you deem fair. That’s terrible to say but I see no other way around it.

Brian Holmes

I know a lot of people don`t want to be around us but the pool of retired but still able people is enormous. They show up for work when called ,don`t *****, aren`t trying to con the Government, willing to work for reasonable wages, might want a coffle break once in a while but that`s all. Maybe you all should get away from the young loosers of the current generation and try them.

EWSplow

PlowSite Fanatic
I know a lot of people don`t want to be around us but the pool of retired but still able people is enormous. They show up for work when called ,don`t *****, aren`t trying to con the Government, willing to work for reasonable wages, might want a coffle break once in a while but that`s all. Maybe you all should get away from the young loosers of the current generation and try them.
Yes, the older workforce is more reliable...to an extent. I don't know many retired guys who'd wanna get out in crappy weather and service sidewalks though.
Also, the older guys don't need the money that bad, so they can pick and choose their work.