Any Predictions Yet?

BRIMOW525

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything or think its too early to predict or have a feeling about the up coming 01-02 plowing season. I my self have heard that because of the cooler than normal summer( except for that one week) And the half way decent amout of rain, that we'll have a cold and snowy winter.... god I hope so! Anyone else?

GeoffD

PlowSite.com Veteran
One thing I will say with my years of experience plowing snow is that I come down to a few conclusions.

1. If it snows we are ready for it.

2. It will snow, how much is the question.

3. If we get a weak year one, the next year or the year after is bound to be much better.

4. Snowplowing is not a quick rich biz. You need to be in it for the long haul. Every year there is a guy that goes to buy a new truck, and the dealership cons him into buying a plow with it. Then it snows 8 times during the winter, the guy doesn't charge enough, and says the heck with plowing, there is no money. If you don't make some money after 3 seasons you have business problems, not weather problems.

Geoff

JD PLOWER

PlowSite.com Veteran
The only thing I know for certain after 13 yrs of pushing snow is, I know nothing about predicting snowfall amounts. And neither does my father, and he's been pushing snow for over thirty years. So I wouldn't worry too much about snowfall amounts, just remember to PRAY!!

OP
BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525

I wasn't sure if el nino or la nina has anything to do with the winters anymore. If not will we have more normal winters or I shpuld say more predictable weather?

OBRYANMAINT

PlowSite.com Veteran
i am with geoff...prepare for the worst expect the least..

i have one customer that swears the next five to tens years will be much snowier than the last... i hope he is correct

SlimJim Z71

PlowSite.com Addict
I wish I could be as optimistic as others, but I don't think there's any way of knowing if it's going to be bad or good. The weathermen and women have proven themselves to be completely useless, and so far the Farmers Almanac hasn't been very accurate either. So... for me it's just a "wait and see" situation. I do agree though... prepare for the worst, and expect the least.

Tim

66Construction

Geoff

If it weren't for all those guys that sell their plows after on year there wouldn't be all these almost new plows floating around the wantads so cheap. I've seen a few hardly used HD fishers floating around for 1,200-1,800 already this year, one looked unused.
Casey

Mick

PlowSite.com Veteran
There was an article in the newspaper about this. Like Geoff said, the Farmer's Almanac is predicting that we'll get a good amount of snow late this year into January. Article went on that without La Nina or El Nino effect, we will be back to "normal" for several years.

If anyone knew for sure, they could make a fortune.

OP
BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525

I'm hoping for a decent winter. If anyone knows of a good used plow set up (everything but the truck).. let me know ..I bought a 95 K2500 and its longing for a plow for the winter:p

PlowSite.com Addict
Yes, snow in October 'cause that's when my Harley should be ready! :D (J/K)

Actually, what I've been hearing is: a winter similar to last year, trend will probably be a few of those and then tapering back down to some mild ones.

Agreed: If you could predict snow for sure you wouldn't need to worry about income from plowing it!

JCurtis

Banned
If I could predict snow I would be working at one of the big TV stations in NYC, instead of Sam Champion or Lee Goldberg...

Making Mucho dinero for being wrong alot of the time!!!!

If I was wrong in my job as much as weather forecasters are I would be unemployed.

Read an article that said even with all the satelliates and computer forecast models, the forecasts are no more accurate than they were 80 years ago.

Prepare for the worst and expect the least are words to live by!

Jeff :D

John Allin

PlowSite.com Addict
The people I interact with ( at a substantial cost outlay to them ) have indicated that the general weather pattern will be such that this coming winter will most likely be similar to last season. Additionally, it is expected that the next two to three winter seasons will have general weather patterns that suggest some considerable similarities to the most recent winter.

These people gave me an outlook for last winter that was damned near dead on with what actually happened, and from the way it has been explained to me - the things that generate climate are predictable in generalities and not in specifics (such as "Syracuse will get 122" of snow".... this cannot be predicted).

That's about as specific as can be expected at this time of year, from what my sources tell me.