Another track vs wheel debate

bsrservices1

Im in the market for another case skid loader. Im currently running a sv250. Im looking to add a track machine..... yes yes i know a ton of threads. However how many guys use track machines year around and 80% on pavement during the summer. Im trying to decide what machine is better for me track or wheel. Im leaning towards another wheel but all dealers keep pushing track machines. The new loader will be pushing a 10ft snow bucket, which my wheel one pushes well. Im just looking for a little more intel in summer time track machine use.

Last edited:

Defcon 5

PlowSite Fanatic
0DAD8621-D0B9-481A-B8FD-675CBCF49C53.jpeg

JoshA

I have 2 identical machines, but one on tires one on tracks.

I adore my wheeled machine all winter long as I smoothly glide over the pavement, manholes, speed bumps, and cruise at a cool 13mph.

In the summer I hate it, and really only use it as a glorified wheel barrow / forklift.

My track skid kicks *** all year round in everything it does but I feel sorry for the sucker that has to rattle around in it all winter -- which is sometimes me.

Really comes down to what your business needs?

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
I have 2 identical machines, but one on tires one on tracks.

I adore my wheeled machine all winter long as I smoothly glide over the pavement, manholes, speed bumps, and cruise at a cool 13mph.

In the summer I hate it, and really only use it as a glorified wheel barrow / forklift.

My track skid kicks *** all year round in everything it does but I feel sorry for the sucker that has to rattle around in it all winter -- which is sometimes me.

Really comes down to what your business needs?

What brand are you running?

My T650 was much smoother than my S650. And something like 1.3 MPH slower.

JoshA

What brand are you running?

My T650 was much smoother than my S650. And something like 1.3 MPH slower.
Running a Volvo MCT125C (tracked) and MC135C, both are same frame / engine etc.
These are the same as the newer JCB.

I believe the track one goes 8mph in high gear.

Your T650 was smooth on asphalt? I wonder how, didn't think Bobcat had anything special for undercarriage suspension. The Volvo/JCB undercarriage is 100% rigid. Rides rougher but does a very good job at grading and pushing. The boom suspension really makes a difference, love it for snow.

icudoucme

I run a tracked skid steer all year (CAT297C with MTL suspension). I won't buy a wheeled machine. Alot of people ***** about the MTL undercarraige but for an 8 or 10 hour shift it's smooth as silk. I do alot of swamp work and off road work. Summer pavement work is limited to milling and driveway tearouts but those are few and far between. As stated earlier a tracked can do everything a wheel can, but a wheel can't do everyhting a track can. If you're only off road very little look into the over wheel tracks.

I have 900 hours on this machine and the tracks are at 80% undercarraige boggies about the same. If you do go with the track machine and only have one set of tracks get the narrow bar style or the zig xag pattern(solideal?) not the alternating blocks.

If you want a smooth ride test out a CAT MTL or CTL they are by far the smoothest track machines you'll ride. They aren't as tippy as the Bobcat suspension track machine and the lift capacity isn't reduced.

White_Gold11

Not trying to start a war as everyone’s soil types/ grades are different... But I live in flatland with heavy clay soil. Little to no grade and the dirt is either sopping wet or dry. I personally believe a tire skid has advantages in the winter. As for summer I have driven both and in my bubble tire is nearly as good for grading, unloading trucks on pavement, and anything else you can imagine a landscaping company would do. If money was no object I would have both and park the other one in the off season as they have slight advantages. Personally my passion for snow keeps me on the wheeled bandwagon. . My 2c ⛄️

Top Forums