1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

another new guy

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by freakshow, Jan 27, 2008.

  1. freakshow

    freakshow Junior Member
    Messages: 5

    Hey everyone! I've been browsing around the site for a couple of days and already learned a ton of stuff. Tons of info on here! I bought an '83 K5 Blazer a couple months ago with a 7 1/2' Speedcast. I plan on doing some driveways on the side for some extra money. (26 years old with 3 kids) My question for you Mass. guys... Am I supposed to have commercial plates if I'm just plowing on the side? :confused: I can't get a straight answer from anyone.
  2. grandview

    grandview PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 14,609

    Not sure about the plate thing in Mass. but I'll be the first to tell you ,you need insurance if your going to plow. Yes,even if it's a couple of drives on the side.Your regular insurance won't cover you because it's for personal use only.
  3. freakshow

    freakshow Junior Member
    Messages: 5

    Thanks for the heads up. I got the insurance thing taken care of. I'm covered for $100k. My agent told me if I do any commercial property I'd definatly need to get more coverage. It's just the plate thing that got me confused. I don't want to get screwed
  4. shoeman68

    shoeman68 Member
    Messages: 67

    Commercial Plates

    Given your situation, I would stay with your reg. plates. If you go to your insurance company and you tell them you need commercial plates, you will pay a higher rate on your truck. How much? I do not know.

    You are only doing a few drives, which I'm sure will turn into a few more. So I would look into getting some kind of liability insurance for plowing. Shop around too, don't go to your truck insurance agent only. You will have property damage at some point and depending on what happens it can get expensive. I slid into a commercial garage door and the plow pieced right through it, the guy wanted the whole door replaced because it messed up the tracking too. I had insurance and slept really good after that storm.

    One last piece of advise, partner with someone to have them cover your customers when your truck has a breakdown. If I had known 16 years ago what I know now, the first thing I would have done was buy two plow trucks!. Good Luck!!
  5. freakshow

    freakshow Junior Member
    Messages: 5

    Allright, well I found out for sure. Pretty much if you got a plow hanging off the front of your truck, you need commercial plates and commercial policy. So I went with it. I paid a little more for insurance, but at least Its one less thing to worry about if anything happens. I got into it a little too late this year, so hopefully next year I'll get some accounts. I'll just keep advertising and crossing my fingers...and hoping it snows soon!