1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Amber Light

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by BlueRam2500, May 8, 2006.

  1. BlueRam2500

    BlueRam2500 Senior Member
    Messages: 765

    For those of you that use the amber light, do you have a permit for it? I tried to get one here in NJ and I am not eligible because I don't have a contract with a government agency. Anyone else have this problem in trying to obtain a permit?
  2. DeereFarmer

    DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran
    Messages: 3,296

    I have one up here. It is not required to have a permit in Mass. (I don't think), but you are able to get one. It is just another way for the state to make money. I have heard the NJ is a PITA to get an amber light.
  3. dumper

    dumper Junior Member
    Messages: 28

    info posted before....................

    Registered User Join Date: Jan 2005
    Location: paterson, nj
    Posts: 19

    MUST have a permit in NJ!!!


    To get a permit to use an amber light for plowing or sanding, you MUST have a contract with a GOVERNMENT agency!!

    Permit has to be obtained from the Cheif of Police in the town it is being used in.

    Penalty is quite high for use without a permit. MANDATORY court appearance if you get a ticket!!

    Odds are you will never get caught, but if you do it will be a problem!!

    Registered User Join Date: Jan 2005
    Location: paterson, nj
    Posts: 19

    Read NJ law carefully.............

    commercial plates etc applies to tow trucks.

    Spin it all you want, to be on a public road and have an amber light on your truck, turned on or turned off, you need a permit.

    To get the permit, you need to be a tow truck or service vehicle, or have a snow contract with a government agency.

    Regardless, you MUST get the application signed by a Police Chief.

    Any other advise you want to listen to, I really don't care, I am just trying to help. Listen if you want, if not, sooner or later you WILL have a problem!!!
  4. BlueRam2500

    BlueRam2500 Senior Member
    Messages: 765

    How could I get a contract with a government agency?
  5. BlueRam2500

    BlueRam2500 Senior Member
    Messages: 765

    Dumper, thank you for your advice. I have tried to obtain a yellow light permit from the town I reside in and they told me the same thing, that I need to have a snow contract with a government agency. Is there any other way around this so that I could obtain a permit? I thought that it would not be a problem considering the state gives blue light permits all the time to volunteer firefighters. If there is anyway around this, I would appreciate some advice. If not, I guess I will have to take my chances.
  6. dumper

    dumper Junior Member
    Messages: 28

    Sorry, haven't been reading posts lately...............

    The State and Counties bid larger jobs like Rt 46, and most towns take bids for snow plowing. We have contracts with Passaic and Bergen Counties, that is how we qualify for the amber light permit.

    There have been several previous posts on this subject, and as you can see above, some of the guys here are pretty stubborn and will not listen to peopler that know and provide the facts.

    DO NOT use an amber light on your truck without a permit!!!!

    99% of the cops you come across would never check if you had a permit, but what if you were stopped at a light and someone ran into you?? There are 1%of cops out there that WILL make a big deal of it, and then you are screwed!!

    MANDATORY court appearance, hundreds in fines, and an insurance surcharge. Rare, but they can even impound your truck!!

    Hope this helps.
  7. ALarsh

    ALarsh Senior Member
    Messages: 203

    Can they do that to you in WI?
  8. procut1

    procut1 Senior Member
    Messages: 380

    Wow quite the opposite here in NY. Here if you get hit while plowing without a light you;ll be in for it.
  9. SnoFarmer

    SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN
    Messages: 9,883

    The mid west is not as anel as the east coast is...lol
    You DO-NOT, need a permit in Wi or MN to use an amber light. you will need to use an amber light while engaged in snow removal.
    The only time you could get fined is to plow with out one.
    do a search on amber lights,emergency lights. we go over this subject very thoroughly at least twice a year.:waving: :drinkup: http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=29815&highlight=amber+light

    Som fun reading!!:dizzy:
  10. rfed32

    rfed32 Senior Member
    Messages: 473

    im in pa and dont have one....i dunno if u need one or not here but i still run one while plowing
  11. Blackwin

    Blackwin Member
    Messages: 58

    You need one in Maine , if your plowing causes you to enter a public way..
    ( backing out of driveway/parking lot onto road etc.)

    No permit required :nod: