• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

Amber and clear in mn will i be ok?

Deeds86

Hey, just a quick question I just picked up a feniex geo in amber and clear cause the price was right, how many of you have amber and clear in a mini bar? And do you guys get messed with for it? I'm not going to have it turned on unless plow is down, I know mn states amber is legal but I see guys with the amber and clear and feel like it looks way better! Any input is appreciated in advance

OP
Deeds86

Deeds86

Yeah I know it's saying amber is whats legal, I just see alot of guys running around with amber and clear and was wondering if they are getting messed with or if they get away with it

SilverPine

Doesn't help you much, but I have been running amber/white for years. I have no idea if it's legal here but I have never been bothered. As long as your on site and not on the public road, I can't see you being bothered legal or not.

OP
Deeds86

Deeds86

Thats kinda what I was hoping to hear, alot of the guys around here turn their strobes on when they start and don't turn em off til they're home, so I figured if I'm only using em while the plows down they shouldn't mess with me for having amber and clear... I'm rural mn so cops tend to be more lenient but I know I'm never exempt from finding a grumpy one!

chuckraduenz

as long as your not on a public road way you can run what ever you want. but the public road only amber. if you have a contract with the city or county blue on the passanger side. any other color only if you wana get a fine. but that will depend on if you find the right officer who wants to give you a fine. just like speeding. you can go over for a few mph over the limit. but that one officer maybe haveing a bad day or something and he will pull you over for it. but others dont care. but your best bet would be keep it amber. if you leave it on going down the public road way no big deal. i thought about changeing the color of my bar to amber white but i dont wana chance it.

BossPlow2010

PlowSite Fanatic
as long as your not on a public road way you can run what ever you want. but the public road only amber. if you have a contract with the city or county blue on the passanger side. any other color only if you wana get a fine. but that will depend on if you find the right officer who wants to give you a fine. just like speeding. you can go over for a few mph over the limit. but that one officer maybe haveing a bad day or something and he will pull you over for it. but others dont care. but your best bet would be keep it amber. if you leave it on going down the public road way no big deal. i thought about changeing the color of my bar to amber white but i dont wana chance it.
Laws of the road often apply on private property...

NYH1

PlowSite Veteran
I'm pretty sure here in New Yorkistan, plow trucks are only supposed to flash amber lights. That said, a ton of guys flash amber and white lights. I saw a guy today flashing white only lights. I've never heard of anyone having an issues doing any of the about though.

NYH1.

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
i doubt it!
Dwi laws extend into your locked garage.
As the law is worded “ anywhere in the state “

When your warning light flashes white to the rear
Subd. 4a.White light.

(a) It is unlawful to project a white light at the rear of a vehicle while traveling on any street or highway,

Red is out,
169.073 PROHIBITED LIGHT OR SIGNAL.
(a) No person or corporation shall place, maintain or display any red light or red sign, signal, or lighting device or maintain it in view of any highway.

Subd. 2.Colored light.

(a) Unless otherwise authorized by the commissioner of public safety, no vehicle shall be equipped, nor shall any person drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any highway with any lamp or device displaying a red light or any colored light other than those required or permitted in this chapter.

Subd. 6.Flashing amber light.

(a) Any service vehicle may be equipped with a flashing amber lamp of a type approved by the commissioner of public safety.

The catch is how your state defines things.
“public highway." Under some stay Laws, any property that is open to and readily accessible the public fits this definition. The police can issue tickets.
Like,
Subd. 81.Street or highway.
"Street or highway" means the entire width between boundary lines of any way or place when any part thereof is open to the use of the public, as a matter of right, for the purposes of vehicular traffic.

“Open to the use by the public “
Like the lanes that are marked in a parking lot.

While you may be able to run whatever color
(Like green)..you choose at som point your going to be on the public roads and your light will then be illegal.

Why not run all amber?

John_DeereGreen

PlowSite Fanatic
I’ve plowed in 6 states aside from Ohio. All my stuff has amber/green/clear mini bars. Never once have I been hassled about the colors.

Providing you aren’t using fire/ems/police colors, I doubt many if anyone will ever say a word.

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
It’s not a main color. I see no reason to worry about it. Don’t be an ******* and have 500,000 of them going up and down the road for no reason and there won’t be anything said.
K...but first of all you said don't run fire/police/ems colours....then you said you run white and it won't be a problem.

I was just asking for clarification because you contradicted yourself.