1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Always Dead!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JeepPlow18, May 26, 2007.

  1. JeepPlow18

    JeepPlow18 Senior Member
    Messages: 658

    I have a 95' chevy silverado and it has been dead every time i go to start it. Yes I only use it for plowing so it sits, i understand that but i jumped it and then went to start it an hour later and it was dead. I also did some wiring, that might be the problem, strobes and cb. direct to positive terminal on battery, made ground on chasis. didnt go to negative at all.:dizzy: any help is appreciated. thanks in advance Mike
  2. streetsurfin'

    streetsurfin' Senior Member
    Messages: 770

    Sitting for long periods can drop the charge significantly allowing deposits to form on the plates (sulfides or sulfites, or is it sulfates?) in the battery and decreases it's ability to take hold a charge. Probably time for a battery. Pick up a battery tender plus or similar type battery maintenance charger and leave it on in the idle periods or disconnect the battery (switches for that available) between uses.
  3. JeepPlow18

    JeepPlow18 Senior Member
    Messages: 658

    Thats what I was thinking but just wanted a second opinion thanks.
  4. B&B

    B&B PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 12,777

    The battery tender and the disconnect switch are both excellent ideas on a vehicle that sets for long periods of time.
  5. JeepPlow18

    JeepPlow18 Senior Member
    Messages: 658

    Ok I fell like I should know this answer but I have never done this. Which terminal do you take off first so you dont get shocked? The negative or the postive?:blush2:
  6. Jon.

    Jon. Junior Member
    Messages: 5

    You won't get shocked as long as you're not soaked in sweat and you don't touch a positive and negative source at the same time.....I'll stop there.

    You need to get a test light and connect it between the battery terminal and cable -- it doesn't matter which. Your '95 might have a fuse for ign-off radio preset power, so pull that one first and see if you have any other ign-off power draws (indicated by test light illumination). If you do, you need to then pull remaining fuses (or accessory wiring) one by one until the illumination changes or goes out....that's the easy way to do the job.

    Having said that much, it's a quick test and a seldom used battery can often go bad over just a year or two...

  7. Quality SR

    Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,829

    Always take the positive off first. Make sure your not grounded ( not touching anything metal or standing in a puddle :eek: ) Go pick up one of those disconnect switches i have one and it is great.
  8. lawnmedic

    lawnmedic Senior Member
    Messages: 703

    Always disconnect the negative battery first. If your wrench touches anything you will not short out the battery. After removing negative terminal, secure it away from the battery. Then it is ok to remove the positive. Connect in reverse. Positive first then negative last.

    I have been on several emergency calls where shorting out the battery cause flash injuries and chemical burns from the battery exploding....
  9. JeepPlow18

    JeepPlow18 Senior Member
    Messages: 658

    ok that sounds right. and im real lucky that i have not done it yet one is saying does not matter and the other two say either positive first or negative!!!:dizzy:
  10. SnoFarmer

    SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN
    Messages: 9,883

    :rolleyes: Remove the NEG-ground first.
    When you are working on your truck 99% of the time.
    To find your power draw (if it is determined your battery is good)
    Do as suggested but it makes a diff, Remove the POS only. Use a meter instead of a test light. A light will not show a small power draw. Turn every thing off, If you have a clock disconnect it.
    Hook up your meter between the pos lead and the batt does your meter show any voltage? If it does start to pull fuses when the voltage drops you have found your short/ power draw.

    :nono: ALWAYS remove the NEGATIVE first!
    Except when performing a test.

    You will not get shocked if you disconnect the neg. You can even touch metal as you remove the neg as your trucks metal is already the neg side of the circuit, just do not short circuit it . You can disconnect your batt standing in a swamp if you need to.
    That's why you disconnect the neg first, if you pull the poss first you can become part of the circuit and get a shock(maybe) or create a spark that can ignite the gases given off by a batt.

    I've used sealed 12v batteries under water with out getting shocked but thats another story...

    ::rolleyes: I agree
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  11. JeepPlow18

    JeepPlow18 Senior Member
    Messages: 658

    Thanks snofarmer for clarifying that. :salute:
  12. JeepPlow18

    JeepPlow18 Senior Member
    Messages: 658

    Its not my chevy but its my jeep grand cherokee and i changed the battery on that too. I give it gas and then it stalls any idea why?