1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

All Liquid Anti-icing/De-icing Questions Here!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by VS Innovation, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

How much snow can salt melt?

If you've been using granular up to now, you've already been using liquids to melt snow and ice.

Under the right conditions, depending on what you are using, maybe an inch. Other times, maybe a 1/4 inch. Maybe none.

VS Innovation likes this.
  2. VS Innovation

VS Innovation Sponsor
    from 56063

Looking back at our season this year I would have to agree with that. We have had a tremendous amount of freezing rain/rain for MN. Liquid is about the weakest form of de icing you can use when it comes down to those conditions. This being said, it is our only means of de icing and we have learned to adapt to it. We pre treat these events to prevent the initial build up of ice knowing that we will have to service throughout the entire event.

3. Mark Oomkes

And moisture content of the snow.....and sunlight.....lots of things play into it. Not just pavement temperature.

4. Mark Oomkes

And that is the exact reason I will never use strictly liquids or strictly granular. I don't only use truck mounted plows, but also pusher boxes, inverted snowblowers, back plows, sidewalk plows, shovels, etc. There is no ONE tool that does everything well.

5. VS Innovation

VS Innovation Sponsor
    from 56063

Agree 100 percent. Sometimes people do not realize that when the salt comes in contact with moisture it dissolves and makes brine naturally. This is one of the steps that slows down the process of granular salt and allows liquid to work faster.

The only result we have seen from our pre treatments is the lack of a bond between the pavement and snow IF the lots were left untouched through and even and not plowed or driven over many times. The lots that are not touched plow very nicely. The packed ones sometimes seem to have a thicker layer of snow pack. They still melt off fine as the salt is still below the snow, they just do not plow as nice here. Metal cutting edges work better on these areas, while rubber works great on the untouched lots.

6. Mark Oomkes

I can see this if you're using strictly brine.....which I wouldn't. If you are, you're missing one of the key benefits of applying liquids.

Although, the same can be done with granular.

7. VS Innovation

VS Innovation Sponsor
    from 56063

The biggest reason we develop snow pack on the accounts I am thinking about is length of the push. Some of our accounts are 7+ acres and require the snow to be pushed over 1400 feet and a several different angles to move piles around corners and to stack. This would be the reason for developing this snow pack. Even with our payloaders running push boxes and our snow wing it still requires many passes. 99% of the time liquid has worked perfectly for us. We are able to maintain the constant use of it thanks to our climate where heavy wet snows and freezing rain are very uncommon.

8. plowin-fire

plowin-fire Senior Member

Just picked up some calcium chloride today. Does anyone add any type of corrosion inhibitors to it, or just use it straight?

9. VS Innovation

VS Innovation Sponsor
    from 56063

We used some corrosion inhibitors with this last storm that came through. I have no idea how the guys filled the tank or how much they put in (sometimes a simple step is like reinventing the wheel!). All of our tanks fill from the bottom and they filled from the top for some reason I believe. Either way it sounded like the inhibitors turned everything to foam in our 2700 gallon sprayer. We have never had any foaming issues when running road guard. I guess they said the wash bay of the shop had 3 inches of foam after the truck filled up the second time! We are learning everyday this year as we are trying new products to compare our original mixture to.

10. plowin-fire

plowin-fire Senior Member

What did you use?

11. Joe Barrett

Joe Barrett Junior Member

This site http://chlorideconscious.com is trying to 'help the environment". I found a lot of the stuff informative but they have a guide to how to use liquid ice melters as a pdf and they'll send you a printed booklet too. I learned a whole lot from them and SIMA.org has some good info too