ALL Connecticut Snow Contractors WE NEED YOUR HELP!!

westhigh

WE are finally gaining traction with the help of ASCA, Please come to Hartford at 8 am March 12th 2019 to sign up if you would like to speak or just show your support for the bill about the way we are dragged into law suites that we can't control. ( See below)
Thank you,
Donny

Connecticut Snow Contractors,

I am excited to inform you that the ASCA’s model legislation is active in Connecticut. The bill, now House Bill 7288 due to a typo in the original bill, will be presented at a public hearing this coming Tuesday at 10 a.m. in the Legislative Office Building (LOB) in Hartford.

I invite any of you who can to join me in attending the hearing.

The bill addresses hold harmless agreements and indemnification clauses where the property owner passes their liability onto the snow and ice management company. This is the same legislation the ASCA championed and passed in Illinois and Colorado.

The hearing will be held in meeting room 1A in the Legislative Office Building. The entrance is on the west side of the building.

Please let me know in advance if you plan to attend in support.

This is a critical first step in getting this bill signed into law.

Best regards,

Kevin Gilbride
Executive Director
ASCA
216-272-3757 Cell

JMHConstruction

PlowSite Fanatic
If something like this passes, what happens if contractor does a subpar job because he thinks he won't be held liable?

I'd be curious to see how work is preformed pre and post legislation. Anyone from Illinois or Colorado seen a decrease in quality since the bill was passed?

OP
W

westhigh

About time something is done in ct. I guess I need to make some calls
Thank you we need contractors from all over CT
This was started in Fairfield County my rep asked if we can get anyone from the other county's to show that this is not just a problem in one area.She said that it would really help the chances of getting it passed.

MSsnowplowing

PlowSite.com Addict
https://www.cga.ct.gov/2019/TOB/h/pdf/2019HB-07288-R00-HB.PDF

So in effect a property owner can not pass all liability onto the contractor if this passes.

I think a better bill would be limiting the liability on occurrences -(slip and falls, cars sliding, etc...) during the winter and make it harder for someone to sue.

A bill limiting liability and making it harder to sue should lower insurance costs for everyone, client and contractor.

m_ice

PlowSite Veteran
If something like this passes, what happens if contractor does a subpar job because he thinks he won't be held liable?

I'd be curious to see how work is preformed pre and post legislation. Anyone from Illinois or Colorado seen a decrease in quality since the bill was passed?

Illinois has it and I have yet to see the full extent of how effective it will be. We use it more in the sense of educating our prospective clients on their responsibility and how it's no longer completely on us.
The way I interpret our law is that it's both the contractor and property owners responsibility to make it as safe as possible and we hold each other accountable for doing our part.
Then again I try to stay away from frugal bottom-feeding property owners the best I can.

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic

One of the companys that ended up with some of my route after I stepped away are hacks on a good day. I can’t believe the crappy job they do.

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
Think there is one

Where???

It doesn't eliminate liability from the contractor. It reduces it. Some of the contracts hold a contractor responsible for a slip and fall if someone slips on an ice cube in July.

I kept writing on one of my customer supplied contracts "if contractor found negligent" and now they include it in their contract.

To give credit where credit is due, that is one of the few things I learned from JAA.

fireside

PlowSite.com Addict
I think this bill is a great thing for us. There are some crazy stuff going on with contracts. Like contractor is totally responsibility for everything but we want to limit service like one application of salt per event and 2” trigger.

OP
W

westhigh

I think this bill is a great thing for us. There are some crazy stuff going on with contracts. Like contractor is totally responsibility for everything but we want to limit service like one application of salt per event and 2” trigger.

We were in Hartford today,only a few of us spoke. Everyone needs to send emails to their reps and the law committee to support this bill. hb7288
It would have been better if more contractors took the time to speak.
But at least help yourself by sending the emails
Thanks

fireside

PlowSite.com Addict
Well I was at republican meeting last night my rep had no idea. Her question before what comm is public hearing talking place. She could find it but did find the bill. Hmmmmmm. Someone was going to call be back today after they researched it a little

Luther

PlowSite Veteran
It's not that hard to reach out to your state representatives and Senators to let them know your position on this, and that you want their support of HB 7288. They all listen to their constituents. Kevin makes it a priority to do all the leg work required to introduce this legislation. This is all done in your/our best interest, but he can't do it alone. You Connecticut guys really need to band together to get this done.

OP
W

westhigh

It's not that hard to reach out to your state representatives and Senators to let them know your position on this, and that you want their support of HB 7288. They all listen to their constituents. Kevin makes it a priority to do all the leg work required to introduce this legislation. This is all done in your/our best interest, but he can't do it alone. You Connecticut guys really need to band together to get this done.
Thank you !!!
Sometimes it is like talking to a wall no one cares until the law suite hits them.
The bill is with the law committee now. If it passes then it will go to the house and then the senate.

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
So we had the same legislation proposed in Meatchicken and despite the allegations that Republicans are pro-bizness, it never passed. The Republicans controlled both houses of the legislature and the governor's office.

Good luck, I sincerely hope you have better fortune than we did.

fireside

PlowSite.com Addict
Our current political culture is very unknown at this point. We have a new governor his only concern is tolls and 69 new taxes in the name of economic development! I guess taxing or fees on the other 35% they don’t already take is in order.

Top Forums