ALaska 19-20 season

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by scottr, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

plow4beer and BUFF like this.
  2. Aerospace Eng

Aerospace Eng PlowSite.com Addict

Is it all paved yet? The only time I was on it was in '76, but I wasn't driving, just having fun with the siblings while my parents drove. I've flown down it in a small plane twice since then ('91 and '00), and it seemed mostly paved and quite a bit straighter.

3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

A friend of mine with a one of his buddy's flew to Alaska in the early 90's with their mtn bikes and rode it home to Colo. Trip took them just over 3 months.

4. plow4beer

plow4beer Senior Member

5. Riding a mountain bike 3 month worth of hours. But you never forget that. probably be a good story.

6. OP
    OP
    scottr

scottr PlowSite.com Addict

Their making improvments every year, still gravel in a lot of areas, however, lots of Calcium Chloride folded in and it sets up like concrete. You can haul the mail over it, even on a motorcycle. Aero, you must have been flying IFR ? ( I follow road ) :D

7. Aerospace Eng

Aerospace Eng PlowSite.com Addict

Yep, at least on the way back.

On the way up, off the coast from Seattle to Ketchican. Then I flew in a bunch of fiords on the way up to Juneau, met up with my family, then took them along the coast to see some glaciers, with a fuel stop at Yakutat (I loved the sign on the terminal building... a bunch of 4x8's with hand painted "Food, Shelter, Booze."). Then my brother and I just followed the weather for about 2 weeks. Wherever it was good that day, that's where we went. Nome, Homer, Sitka, Bettles, Talkeetna, etc. We camped by the airplane generally. The only time we didn't have good weather was when we got to Barrow to see the midnight sun, and the fog rolled in about 10:00 PM so we only saw the midnight glow (stayed in a hotel that night as well). Still got to wade in the Beaufort Sea and eat at the northernmost mexican restaurant.

On our way back, went down to Fairbanks, then "IFR" down the Alcan to Northway (worst mosquitoes I have ever experienced there), kept following it to Watson lake, and then turned down the trench to the US. Most memorable vacation ever.

BUFF and Mark Oomkes like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    scottr

Great story, Aero, ive spent a lot of time in Barrow at the airport, and been to each of those places you mentioned, only someone who’s been to Northway in the summer would no about the mosquitoes there :clapping:

Aerospace Eng likes this.
  9. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

This one is closer to him....
    5d3ef26636e03c5d9338cf95.jpeg

BUFF, snoboss and EWSplow like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    scottr

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

“It seems he was under the impression that Garmin was going to pick him up when he activated the beacon,” Peters wrote in an email. “He was unaware that a rescue by Troopers would occur.”

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::wall::wall::wall::wall:

That poor Darwin guy...always getting cheated.

12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

The guy should at least be gelded to stop the gene pool....

Mark Oomkes likes this.