Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Musical instrument Wood Automotive tire Tree Car
found my air filter like this today; the filter material was all chewed up in the air filter housing and tube.

Plowed yesterday and didn't notice any engine issues. Checked the filter a month ago and it was fine. Must've just happened today. Looked at it today only because the dog was sniffing around the truck

They work fast.....

· Registered
17,710 Posts
We had a little melt and my yard is partially exposed today, I took the opportunity to try out the new stihl br800.
Woke up all kinds of critters. The winter I think was hard on them...I have a lonely robin that keeps coming back to my flowering crab apple to get the berries. I can’t tell whether she/he is drunk or just in bad health..the rabbits despite my dogs best efforts did quite a bit of damage to shrubs and trees. Usually a telltale sign it was rough on them too.

· Registered
15,792 Posts
We had a little melt and my yard is partially exposed today, I took the opportunity to try out the new stihl br800.
Woke up all kinds of critters. The winter I think was hard on them...I have a lonely robin that keeps coming back to my flowering crab apple to get the berries. I can't tell whether she/he is drunk or just in bad health..the rabbits despite my dogs best efforts did quite a bit of damage to shrubs and trees. Usually a telltale sign it was rough on them too.
I think those just finally got allowed into the states due to not passing emissions...

· Registered
7,605 Posts
View attachment 192137 found my air filter like this today; the filter material was all chewed up in the air filter housing and tube.

Plowed yesterday and didn't notice any engine issues. Checked the filter a month ago and it was fine. Must've just happened today. Looked at it today only because the dog was sniffing around the truck

They work fast.....
none of that went in the engine intake ? That's crazy..

Wow, you got lucky.....

Darn Varmints. Time to use 1/4" wire hardware cloth to cover that intake port where it penetrates the radiator support. Good thing is, that most of that stuff is produced in China now, and the wire has a little bit of lead in the coating. This means the children of the chipmunks will have developmental disabilities, and won't be as adapt at bothering you in the future.

· Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
none of that went in the engine intake ? That's crazy..

Wow, you got lucky.....

Darn Varmints. Time to use 1/4" wire hardware cloth to cover that intake port where it penetrates the radiator support. Good thing is, that most of that stuff is produced in China now, and the wire has a little bit of lead in the coating. This means the children of the chipmunks will have developmental disabilities, and won't be as adapt at bothering you in the future.
Yesh - lucked out that nothing got sucked into the engine. Must've just hsppened because I just use it for plowing and plowed the day before. Always have nuts in the filter box, but have never had it torn up like that.

I put some extra screen material i had over the intake for now until I make a more permanent one.

· Registered
1,956 Posts
I need something to deter them...
And it sure ain't mothballs!
That's mice/ family to build a nest to have the babies in. Ck. your plastic / vacuum lines etc. They eat that poop,
for some reason ?... U can try Bounce dryer towels to place in those areas, they say the scent detours them!
Off the record, don't forget the 2nd sat. in April, u know opening day for Trout season down there in Wood River ! :drinkup:

· Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Alloy wheel Bumper
Yellow Building Gas Engineering Composite material
Round two.....feeling like Bill Murray in Caddy Shack.....

Had stuffed some screen door screening I had laying around in the tube after the first time, but he still snuck in.

Cleaned it out, put a new filter in, mothballs in the air box, and a strong double screen at the air tube end

Now we wait......

· Registered
19 Posts
What I found helpful to keep the critters at bay is using a mix of chili powder and any other hot spices I could find and sprinkle it on the engine, thruout the engine compartment, into the fresh air vent system (somehow mice weaseled their way in there and would make a nest in the squirrel cage of the blower motor...appropriate name, I guess!) You name it, I put it there. Used to have a squirrel that would build a nest right on top of the engine night after night. Haven't seen hide nor hair (or hare) of them since. Guess it turns out they're a lot like me...don't care for spicy foods...

· Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lost round three.....bugger chewed through my double metal screen block and tore up my third filter. Left me a thank you note for the lovely moth ball mints.....

Going to try a solid metal screen like a shower or sink drain because they would chew through a plastic one.

Mouse trap is going in the air box tonight

· Registered
277 Posts
Lost round three.....bugger chewed through my double metal screen block and tore up my third filter. Left me a thank you note for the lovely moth ball mints.....

Going to try a solid metal screen like a shower or sink drain because they would chew through a plastic one.

Mouse trap is going in the air box tonight
Holy Crap! They really don't like you!

· Registered
769 Posts
Fram's tough guard filter has a metal screen built into it that may help to keep chewed up bits from getting sucked up into your engine.
Screen is on the wrong side to stop the little bugger from eating it though.
TGA10262 should fit your Triton may want to double check that.

Wonder if a rubber snake under the truck would scare them off.
https://www.amazon.com/Realistic-Rubber-Snake-Inch-Model/dp/B00V5WKFWU

· Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fram's tough guard filter has a metal screen built into it that may help to keep chewed up bits from getting sucked up into your engine.
Screen is on the wrong side to stop the little bugger from eating it though.
TGA10262 should fit your Triton may want to double check that.

Wonder if a rubber snake under the truck would scare them off.
https://www.amazon.com/Realistic-Rubber-Snake-Inch-Model/dp/B00V5WKFWU
Thanks fir the part number. I was looking online for a filter with the mesh but didn't see any; local filters didn't have meshes either. It's odd because my other Ford vehicles' Motorcraft filters do have the mesh.

I've left the filter out for now. Getting snow tonight so didn't want to have to clean out another chewed filter if I have to plow tomorrow. I think a cover with solid metal grids over the air inlet will be the ultimate solution

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.