1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Again, your thoughts

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by black_dog106, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Veteran

Just a couple question for the OP...

Have you personally every driven a newer 3/4 ton or a 1 ton truck with a "wannabe exhaust brake"?

Are you really looking for the stopping power or just this BRRRRRR noise? (I have a feeling it is the ladder)

2. Philbilly2

I also would not spend any money on an aftermarket jake on a little pickup truck... :confused: if it was even an option, which as Randall has already pointed out there is not enough motor there to even do it with if you wanted to.

ktfbgb likes this.
  3. ktfbgb

ktfbgb 2000 Club Member

And even if he is just looking for the BRRRRR, many many places have outlawed the use of them within the incorporated area. So, even if you did get one just to make noise, your gonna get pulled over and given a ticket.

If he's looking for stopping power then the factory ones do plenty. He mentioned pulling a loaded trailer. I pull some pretty heavy trailers in the mountains. There are some grades that are pretty steep that have pulloffs at the top because the truckers are supposed to pull off and do a brake check. I can set mine on auto mode with a loaded trailer and it will keep me at my set speed the whole way down. If you put it on normal mode and let off the accelerator it would stop me mid grade without any input on the brake pedal until it shut off around 10MPH.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  4. Philbilly2

:rolleyes:

5. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Veteran

The only way you could get it to work would be when electronic exhaust valves come about. Then you can control the valve timing to crack the exhaust valve open just after TDC. You can't use conventional design. Just not enough room. I've played and installed Jake and teck brakes on Detroit's, Cummins, Cats, Mack's. You need CI for them to be effective.

ktfbgb likes this.
  6. Philbilly2

The funny part of the loaded question I proposed, is on the newer emission controlled diesel motors in the larger trucks that have jakes... the exaust noise that comes from a modern Jake is not a BBRRRR any longer... it is nearly non existent...

7. Randall Ave

They don't make the noise like they used to. If the op wants noise. Pop the muffler off and run 6 inch pipes.

8. ktfbgb

ktfbgb 2000 Club Member

As I grow older, I keep looking for ways to keep the cab as quiet as possible. But that's just me. I like running on the highway at 80MPH and not having to raise my voice to talk with the passenger. With my truck, I can talk at same level at an idle and at highway speeds.

Randall Ave likes this.
  9. Randall Ave

That's me, I want quiet. These guys driving around with the stack kits behind their heads gotta be going Def

ktfbgb likes this.
  10. Philbilly2

So I got to use my "wannabee exhaust brake" last Sunday... quite a bit too.

A buddy and I were hauling dirt from a job site to the place that he just finished building a house. (Just using dump trailers and pickups)... looking back... what a waste of my day, but what ever...

The tri axle dump trailer that I was hauling loaded lost trailer brakes. "wannabe exaust brake" would bring truck to a crawl without ever using service brakes... pretty good in my opionin

ktfbgb likes this.
  11. ktfbgb

ktfbgb 2000 Club Member

Yep. The guy just wants noise. Looks like he is one of those guys that posts stuff to stir the pot then doesn't come back to check the thread for a year.

12. black_dog106

black_dog106 Junior Member

Nah...check the thread with every new post.
    Seems the membership disagrees with my post so I haven't posted again. Maybe I didn't word the op correctly to make my point? The replies wandered in several directions?
    I personally have NO interest in excessive noise. I go through life trying not to attract attention! Nuff said...

13. ktfbgb

ktfbgb 2000 Club Member

This is your OP. Nuff said.

Philbilly2 likes this.
  14. black_dog106

black_dog106 Junior Member

If I wanted to argue, I would contact the ex.
    Mods, PLEASE delete this thread.

15. ktfbgb

ktfbgb 2000 Club Member

Hey I was just confused by the change from your original post to the last. Seems like the OP was intended to brew up a heated debate from several different angles. First was the fact the new diesels come with OEM versions of exhaust brakes. Second is the fact that there are tons of aftermarket exhaust brakes to cover the model years that don't have OEM ones. You had to know this info before posting.

Then there is the fact that among the Diesel owning community, it is common knowledge that a Jacobs style engine brake does not work on a pickup size engine. If it did, Jacobs would have developed one and I would bet it would come stock on at least one of the big three, most likely the Cummins being that it's a true inline diesel and not a V 8.

Then there was the the comments you made that I posted above about pretty much just wanting the loud BRRRRR, which is illegal in many parts of the country anyway.

So, am I arguing? Yes. Because as I outlined above, that's all this thread was ever really intended for. Thumbs Up

Philbilly2 likes this.
  16. Avalanche 2500

Avalanche 2500 Senior Member

BRRRRRRRRR.........I like MUSCLE CARS w/ Headers, dual exhaust. like Donnie brasco > "Fuggetabboutit"!!! :drinkup:

ktfbgb likes this.