Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

· Registered
60,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I lost my wiper linkage last week I ran our '16 with a SnowEx whatever and that stupid, idiotic joystick controller.

#1 Up and down are backasswards.
#2 Why does a single movement give you 2 possible functions to the plow? When I push it one direction, I expect it to go in or out. Not have to remember the last function it performed and then have to hit it once or twice to make it do the opposite?
#3 The movement in the joystick is too close together. Try to make the wings go out or in and the plow angles.
#4 It takes far too long to go into "Float". It's at least 3 seconds if not 4.

I don't know if the idiots that design these things think this is just like a video game controller or something (although I'm pretty sure video game controller buttons only do 1 thing every time you hit it) but it is stupid, annoying and not the least bit user friendly.

So, does anyone know of a company that either builds aftermarket controllers or will build one for me similar to the old shoebox from Blizzard? I don't want to go broke, but am willing to pay a reasonable amount for a controller that my operators actually like. I have yet to have anyone say "Dang, that's an awesome controller that's easy to use".

Or maybe since it's multiplex, DD could make it programmable?

@John Murphy ???

· Premium Member
17,282 Posts
So when I lost my wiper linkage last week I ran our '16 with a SnowEx whatever and that stupid, idiotic joystick controller.

#1 Up and down are backasswards.
#2 Why does a single movement give you 2 possible functions to the plow? When I push it one direction, I expect it to go in or out. Not have to remember the last function it performed and then have to hit it once or twice to make it do the opposite?
#3 The movement in the joystick is too close together. Try to make the wings go out or in and the plow angles.
#4 It takes far too long to go into "Float". It's at least 3 seconds if not 4.

I don't know if the idiots that design these things think this is just like a video game controller or something (although I'm pretty sure video game controller buttons only do 1 thing every time you hit it) but it is stupid, annoying and not the least bit user friendly.

So, does anyone know of a company that either builds aftermarket controllers or will build one for me similar to the old shoebox from Blizzard? I don't want to go broke, but am willing to pay a reasonable amount for a controller that my operators actually like. I have yet to have anyone say "Dang, that's an awesome controller that's easy to use".

Or maybe since it's multiplex, DD could make it programmable?

@John Murphy ???
#1, it's backwards only to you "heavy equipment" people. It's consistent with every other electric plow control.

#2, "The button will default to wing out the first time you press it after having pressed any other button." Not sure who decided that was user-friendly, but that was the explanation I was given. The other explanation was that it eliminates the need the need to push multiple buttons as on the BOSS controller.

#3, Can't help you with that either.

#4, http://library.fisherplows.com/pdfs/43227.00_091512.pdf
Page 7 addresses the one-touch float as mentioned by Phil

I have never used it, by Stork's does make an AM controller with separate buttons. It's pretty busy looking and a bit sketchy looking build wise, but can't say I've ever heard of anyone using it.

https://www.storksplows.com/afterma...eld-control-4-pin-white-plug-29800-29600.html

· Registered
60,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
#1, it's backwards only to you "heavy equipment" people. It's consistent with every other electric plow control.
There isn't another piece of equipment in the world that works the way plow controllers do. Heavy equipment, fork lifts, you name it. Forward is down, back is up. A lot of plow controllers over the year are and have been wrong.

#2, "The button will default to wing out the first time you press it after having pressed any other button." Not sure who decided that was user-friendly, but that was the explanation I was given. The other explanation was that it eliminates the need the need to push multiple buttons as on the BOSS controller.
Shoe box from Blizzard is positive reaction. It does the same thing every time you push a button or move the joystick in a certain direction.

No guessing involved.

No delay in the brain or module so you when you hit it twice because you think you remembered what you did last it does the opposite because of some stupid delay.

Multiple buttons laid out in a user friendly manner give you a positive reaction every single time you push them. It flat out does not make sense and is anything but user friendly. Obviously whoever thought this was a neato idea has never spent any time in a truck plowing, much less 12 hours in a truck plowing, much less 12 hours night after night after night after night plowing. It is stupid.

Not directed at you, but does hitting a key on your keyboard twice input a different command? Your mouse? Your calculator? Phone? Remote? Firearm? Just think how cool it would be if I pulled the trigger on my .45 and it would suck the bullet back in...sounds stupid doesn't it? If I tap the brake pedal twice does it unlock the brakes? Or increase my speed? Because that's what happens with some of the functions on these controllers. Again, sounds stupid, because it is stupid.

#4, http://library.fisherplows.com/pdfs/43227.00_091512.pdf
Page 7 addresses the one-touch float as mentioned by Phil
I'll have to do some checking.

I have never used it, by Stork's does make an AM controller with separate buttons. It's pretty busy looking and a bit sketchy looking build wise, but can't say I've ever heard of anyone using it.

https://www.storksplows.com/afterma...eld-control-4-pin-white-plug-29800-29600.html
Thanks, but Fishsticks are out of the question. I am one of those "heavy equipment" guys that expects my plow and salt controllers to be in the same exact place every time I reach for it. Just like my shifter is, my steering wheel is, my heater controls are, my radio controls, my wiper controls, gas pedal, brake pedal, window switches, mirror switches, seat switches, etc.

Again, when I put it like that, it sounds pretty stupid to have controllers that can be all over the cab.

All I ask for is a controller that I can mount semi-permanently. When I push a button or joystick in one direction, it does the same thing every time.

If plow manufacturers are asking actual users and this is the input they are receiving, I'd like to have a chat with some of these users. Over 30 years of experience shows to me these controllers are not user friendly and make no sense.

· Registered
17,708 Posts
Maybe you need to modify a boss joystick like you did the lights. Put rocker switch on the joystick for up and down float, forward and back can be extend retract. And a separate button for each side individually. Seems easy enough. Disclaimer...I am no engineer, I just play one in my own mind.

· Premium Member
17,282 Posts
Maybe you need to modify a boss joystick like you did the lights. Put rocker switch on the joystick for up and down float, forward and back can be extend retract. And a separate button for each side individually. Seems easy enough. Disclaimer...I am no engineer, I just play one in my own mind.
Because of the difference in the way the valves switch, there is not easy way to achieve that

· Registered
60,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like that Smooth Stop\Soft Stop is activated as well. Another stupid, worthless "option".

Reduced shock to the hydraulic system? Increased hose and valve life? Who comes up with this crap. Hoses don't go bad from "Harsh Stop\Hard Stop". They wear through or crack from being exposed to the elements. What a load of bovine excrement.

I was wondering why the plow kept moving AFTER I released the joystick. I wasn't even aware of these ridiculous features. It appeared like I had air in the system.

How many loaders, graders, excavators, forklifts, dozers, etc, etc, etc, etc have stupid crap like this? Who would even ask for something as ridiculous as this? When I let go of the joystick, I expect the plow to stop.

· Registered
60,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

· Registered
60,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Because of the difference in the way the valves switch, there is not easy way to achieve that
What does this mean?

Are the valves not controlled by solenoids, so when power is applied, it opens and a certain function occurs and when power is stopped, that function stops?

The problem occurs with multiplex wiring. Not the way valves activate and deactivate.

· Premium Member
17,282 Posts
What does this mean?

Are the valves not controlled by solenoids, so when power is applied, it opens and a certain function occurs and when power is stopped, that function stops?

The problem occurs with multiplex wiring. Not the way valves activate and deactivate.
This diagram shows how the valves switch on a DD V

BOSS does the same number of functions with 6 valves that are used in totally different combinations.

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Pattern

· Registered
60,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This diagram shows how the valves switch on a DD V
Makes perfect sense...why use 8 valves when you can use 12!?!?

Why use 10 words when you can use 1,000?

· Premium Member
17,282 Posts
The complicate matters further, the BOSS V can get by with fewer valves because the cylinders are spring retract single acting.

The closest equivalent to your plow is the BOSS EXT which uses a combination of direct valve control mixed with multiplexing.

· Registered
60,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I mean really, less programming, reduced costs for manufacturing, reduced maintenance due to fewer parts, fewer things to go wrong.

Is there a chance that Toro owns DD?

· Registered
60,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

· Premium Member
17,282 Posts
Looks like that Smooth Stop\Soft Stop is activated as well. Another stupid, worthless "option".
Who would even ask for something as ridiculous as this? When I let go of the joystick, I expect the plow to stop.
I'll just point out that you can search on here for plenty of people complaining about the plow "shaking the hell" out of the truck when it comes to a stop. So, no matter how they do things, they'll never make everyone happy. But they did have the forethought to make it programmable on later controls for those people who bother to read the manual they are given with their shiny new plow.

https://www.plowsite.com/threads/fisher-plow-xv2™.146131/page-7#post-1789951

https://www.plowsite.com/threads/un...eft-it-stops-pretty-hard.172285/#post-2240846

https://www.plowsite.com/threads/proplow-bangs.167649/#post-2152221

https://www.plowsite.com/threads/fisher-plow-banging-noise.164862/#post-2073039

https://www.plowsite.com/threads/proplus-angle-left-question.153085/#post-1739733

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.