Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm hoping I could get some advice (fishing lesson) from you all.

This is my first year doing snow removal. I service 2 auto parts stores in my area for a large company (don't know if it matters if I say who specifically but I dont want to slander them).

So far I've only sent 4 invoices 2 in Nov. '18 and 2 in Jan. '19 (1 invoice per store each month). In the contract it states invoices will be paid within 30 days of the date the invoice was sent. The Nov. invoice was 10 days overdue, I contacted them and it was sent out that day, I received payment the next week. The invoice I sent for Jan. '19 is now 4 days overdue, I haven't contacted them yet but will shortly.

I was wanting your guys' input on what I should include in the email. I want to say something about the consistent late payment but dont want to go overboard with it either. Or if I'm just overreacting to the whole thing? I'm just starting to get tired of slow/late pay from other customers, people I sub for, etc...

FWIW, the first payment totaled $350 and some change, this current payment totals just over $2200

Thanks everyone.

· Super Moderator
11,066 Posts
Good cash flow is key I get it. But many companies (especially big ones) take a lot longer than 30 days to process invoices and submit payments, it sucks but it is what it is.
You could consider initiating a late fee, but you may get some flack over it, so be prepared to not get a signature or want them to null that fee.

· Registered
15,792 Posts
Hey guys I'm hoping I could get some advice (fishing lesson) from you all.

This is my first year doing snow removal. I service 2 auto parts stores in my area for a large company (don't know if it matters if I say who specifically but I dont want to slander them).

So far I've only sent 4 invoices 2 in Nov. '18 and 2 in Jan. '19 (1 invoice per store each month). In the contract it states invoices will be paid within 30 days of the date the invoice was sent. The Nov. invoice was 10 days overdue, I contacted them and it was sent out that day, I received payment the next week. The invoice I sent for Jan. '19 is now 4 days overdue, I haven't contacted them yet but will shortly.

I was wanting your guys' input on what I should include in the email. I want to say something about the consistent late payment but dont want to go overboard with it either. Or if I'm just overreacting to the whole thing? I'm just starting to get tired of slow/late pay from other customers, people I sub for, etc...

FWIW, the first payment totaled $350 and some change, this current payment totals just over $2200

Thanks everyone.
So are you working for a large national service provider I assume doing these two auto parts stores?

· Super Moderator
11,066 Posts
I would hold any other services, Make sure you call or stop in to tell them this.

Even walk in to hand deliver the "Past Due" invoices.

Stoppage in service email could help also.
What?!
For being 4 days overdue?!
That net 30 on the top of the invoice is just a number, it's not Law of the land!
As I mentioned above an incentive to pay ontime, but don't stop services just because you're not getting paid within 30 days, unless that is what's already in your contract which is pretty strict.

· Registered
17,710 Posts
It's a secret...but I'll let my customer go another 30 days from the due date before I say anything. Usually by that time they are getting a third bill and the guilt gets to them, that 3rd bill is usually hand delivered for good measure just cause I believe in making face to face contact once in a while to tell them how much I appreciate them...

· Registered
4,305 Posts
If you're working for a "broker", "management company" you'll just have to live with it. Any contract has absolutely no bearing on them. It's the nature of the beast. Some seem to get paid in a reasonable time frame, others seem to have big issues. You're just a small fish to them, you have zero leverage. That being said it doesn't hurt to keep proactive with them ,an email takes a minute to send.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So are you working for a large national service provider I assume doing these two auto parts stores?
I dont think they're as big as a typical national like ferrandino and others like them, but yes they are pretty much a national, they're out of Michigan, I know they handle alot of the AA stores from MI, down to KY, OH and some farther east in PA I believe.

· Registered
1,137 Posts
I dont think they're as big as a typical national like ferrandino and others like them, but yes they are pretty much a national, they're out of Michigan, I know they handle alot of the AA stores from MI, down to KY, OH and some farther east in PA I believe.
I know who you're talking about, I think, start with an E?

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good cash flow is key I get it. But many companies (especially big ones) take a lot longer than 30 days to process invoices and submit payments, it sucks but it is what it is.
You could consider initiating a late fee, but you may get some flack over it, so be prepared to not get a signature or want them to null that fee.
That's what I had figured but the only thing about it that kind of irritates me is that I signed their contract that states they are supposed to pay within 30 days of receiving the invoice.

But like you said it is what it is, I'm starting to figure out that comm. work in general is much different than residential!

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know who you're talking about, I think, start with an E?
Yes, I talked with the owner?/higher up over there trying to get the ball rolling with pricing, insurance info, etc... seemed like a really nice guy and people over on bookface vouched for them/him so I felt better about working with them vs. Some of the other nationals.

· Registered
464 Posts
And some of them will use administration tactics to prolong sending your cheque. "Oh we want your logs."
"We need the weather conditions with your logs."
"Send us your clearance certificate."
"Send us your health and safety policy."
Be on your A game..and send out your invoices like clock work without delay.

· Registered
15,792 Posts
Yeah like others have said it just depends how far you want to push it... You are obviously not going to go into any of the stores and get anywhere as they most likely have no clue... But it's only a few days I wouldn't sweat it and just hang tight... If you get toward the end of the month then start the phone calls continuously...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.