Snow Plowing Forum banner

Advantages to being a SIMA member?

11K views 63 replies 28 participants last post by  birddseedd 
#1 ·
What are the benefits to being a SIMA member?

#3 ·
Don't you get some kind of special badge, ? You know, the one that tells everyone that you're great in bed, sensitive, sincere, and well endowed ?

I could have sworn that's what it said in the brochure...:laughing:

#9 ·
In all honesty, I think its so that you have a "professional" badge to go with your service. Other than that its nothing, at least it seems that way to me. Its not like there is any rules to follow in oder to join, you just pay the fee. So anyone can join, even if they are the biggest a******s to their customers.

#12 ·
I have been a SIMA member now for two years.Honestly, all the information you can get from SIMA for a yearly fee you can get off of this site for free from many SIMA members.

The symposium may be worth it, I don't know, I'll never be able to go to one because of having to work.

#17 ·
LOL... heres the pm I've sent out 6 times already and don't want to do it anymore.... Hope your ok with it Scott!

Let me start by saying to each his own.

I joined and went to RI last year. My "buddy" (a snow only company with sales over 500K) was usless with the various questions I had for him and said he would answer them all at RI. Well, met him in person and he was too drunk to talk with me! SIMA's a "good ol boys club" if you can understand that phrase which im sure you do (dont take offense sima guys as its just my opinion). Lastly Im very much against nationals and I've gone over and over with brian birch about this matter. In my opinion SIMA sides with the nationals and not that of its members... thats the reason I'm no longer a member

I've been in the Biz for almost 20 years now and employ about 10-12 people during the winter. IMO if you can weed out the crap on PS, its just as valueble as to being a member of sima

Good luck with your decisions. Flame on! :yow!:

Mike

#19 ·
Mick76;1446631 said:
LOL... heres the pm I've sent out 6 times already and don't want to do it anymore.... Hope your ok with it Scott!

Let me start by saying to each his own.

I joined and went to RI last year. My "buddy" (a snow only company with sales over 500K) was usless with the various questions I had for him and said he would answer them all at RI. Well, met him in person and he was too drunk to talk with me! SIMA's a "good ol boys club" if you can understand that phrase which im sure you do (dont take offense sima guys as its just my opinion). Lastly Im very much against nationals and I've gone over and over with brian birch about this matter. In my opinion SIMA sides with the nationals and not that of its members... thats the reason I'm no longer a member

I've been in the Biz for almost 20 years now and employ about 10-12 people during the winter. IMO if you can weed out the crap on PS, its just as valueble as to being a member of sima

Good luck with your decisions. Flame on! :yow!:

Mike
Hey Mike, you know I need to chime in, I am really sorry about your bad experience I wish we would have a chance to meet. If I did meet you, and cannot remember who you were, its that I met and talked with lots of guys during that week.
As far as the symposium goes, when you attended the concurrent education sessions did you not learn something? How about the snack and chats? Did you enjoy the symposium trade show? In SIMA you can always request a new buddy, or network with anyone that you meet during the week. Its so easy to say its an good ol boys club, but I have been a member for 4 years now and cannot say I have experienced that. Sure there are companies that hang with only other members, but I think you have that no matter where or what you attend. Did you attend the New Members and first timers reception?
SIMA tries very hard to have its members meet and welcome you. Are you saying no one came up to you that you did not know and introduce them self? There is so much that can be learned from being a member, and some amazing friendships to be made. Yes there is lots of info on this site, and maybe after 20 years in the business you can weed out the crap. I have been in the business for 36 years, and I am stilling learning new tricks, and ideas that I can implement into my business from SIMA. Is SIMA perfect? No, but it is a great organization that represents the industry I care alot about. I can promise you that SIMA is in no way about the Nationals, or controlled by nationals. I will stop here, there is lots more just have run out of time for now.

#20 ·
Neige;1446716 said:
Hey Mike, you know I need to chime in, I am really sorry about your bad experience I wish we would have a chance to meet. If I did meet you, and cannot remember who you were, its that I met and talked with lots of guys during that week.
As far as the symposium goes, when you attended the concurrent education sessions did you not learn something? How about the snack and chats? I learned the crazy rate that AGMG want to pay its subcontractors....at $35 a hour I almost spit my drink on the guy! Did you enjoy the symposium trade show? enjoyed it yes, learned something ...not really In SIMA you can always request a new buddy, or network with anyone that you meet during the week. Its so easy to say its an good ol boys club, but I have been a member for 4 years now and cannot say I have experienced that. like i said its just my opinion Paul....u and a few others on ps I have alot of respect for but you don't have to be a member of sima to get my respect (whatever thats worth too you)Sure there are companies that hang with only other members, but I think you have that no matter where or what you attend. Did you attend the New Members and first timers reception? yes
SIMA tries very hard to have its members meet and welcome you. i tried to speak with a member that was on the cover on biz mag and it just seems as though I was a bother to him (maybe I was too close to him as he was in nh and Im from maine) Are you saying no one came up to you that you did not know and introduce them self? I did ALOT of networking there but had to go up to most people myself There is so much that can be learned from being a member, and some amazing friendships to be made. the same can be said for being a member on PS..... I've met a bunch of good people (companies as well) from maine that I still network with...and I dont have to pay and $ to do so....besides the occational lunch)Yes there is lots of info on this site, and maybe after 20 years in the business you can weed out the crap. I have been in the business for 36 years, and I am stilling learning new tricks, and ideas that I can implement into my business from SIMA. Is SIMA perfect? No, but it is a great organization that represents the industry I care alot about. yes sir but this is the point I argued til i was blue in the face wth brian... if your going to be a "member" of something then then the organization should work for its members.... imo nationals should have no part of sima as they are a large part of the problem with the industry today... sima (brian) doesnt see it that way and should "educate" its members on how to "work with nationals".... did you attend that seminar?....got pretty heated to say the least.... I can promise you that SIMA is in no way about the Nationals, or controlled by nationals. again paul i value your opinion but have to strongly disagree with you on this matter I will stop here, there is lots more just have run out of time for now.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

#25 ·
siteworkplus;1446945 said:
Neige,may I ask you how has SIMA has benefited you and your company?

Your web page proves that you have a good knowledge of the industry and understand what is needed to be successful.

Any insight or opinions wold be appreciated
I joined 5 years ago not really knowing what to expect. When I joined I was assigned a buddy, got access to the web site and was able to download contract templates, production rates, and lots more info.
Attending my first symposium was awesome, it was really great to be surrounded by people who understood what it was like being a snow contractor. I met some new friends and they are still people I am in contact with today. It was really interesting to learn how other companies around North America clear snow, the different ways they charge, equipment they use, etc. I found most people were very helpful and open on how they run their operation. During one of the snack and chats I attended, I got the idea of giving my clients the option to prepay for their services. Went back to Canada, talked to my brothers and implemented the idea. Since then we have never had to worry about going into our line of credit. We also no longer chase clients into July for their payments, we will only service you if we have some form of payment in hand. Before this we would be chasing over 200 accounts a year, and there would always be 50 that we never seem to be able to collect. It may not seem like much, but just these two ideas, from my first year in SIMA is worth a lifetime of membership fees and then some. The SIMA savings program has 25 companies offering discount to SIMA members. A friend of mine bought 5 Cat skid steers and because he was a SIMA member he got an additional 10 grand in savings. I learned about using liquids, which I brought back and educated clients about. I got the idea of using fiberglass stakes instead of rebar, saving us a few grand a year of equipment breakdowns, and clients scratching their cars. There is so much info to be gained from the information sessions and just from sitting down and having a drink with a fellow plower. We now use GPS, learned so much about that at the last symposium. Then there is the trade show, which is getting bigger and better every year. It is great to see what is new and avaivalbe to us all under one roof.
I take pride in being able to tell my clients that I belong to an association where every year I go for a 4 day training to see what is new, so that I can improve my efficiencies. I believe it adds to my professionalism. They may not know what SIMA is, but they are aware that I am continuously educating myself in the field of snow and ice management. Will just paying a membership fee and putting a sticker on your truck bring you more accounts? No. Will attending information sessions, using your buddy, attending the symposium, reading everything there is on the web site, form friendships and network with other contractors? Maybe. Now take what you learn and implement it in your business and you will see improvements, and growth. I for one enjoy continuing to learn, go home and be a leader in my market.
Lastly I take pride in being a member of SIMA, I enjoy helping others, I have a great sense of belonging, cherish the friendships I have made, and look forward to being part of the solution to improve our industry. :drinkup:

#26 ·
I've been a member for 4 years also and I respect everyone's opinion good or bad about Sima. I think it may appear to be an Ole Boys Club but I don't even talk to any of the old boys so I wouldn't know. The Symposium is a great way to talk to people in the same business as you and it's a great reason to expense a holiday. To be honest I really didn't find the seminars that interesting as they go over stuff I have a pretty good grasp on. The snack and chats and after hours is where I seem to learn the most, people talking in a stress free atmosphere is great, add a few beers and some people really let loose and tell you some interesting stuff. How much do you really need to learn to pay for your membership? I think Sima is a huge motivational tool, talking with people passionate about the business is the reason why I like it so much. I have met many here and to be honest they're are the ones I talk to most at the symposium. Sima just gives us a reason to get together which would never happen with out it. You have to gain trust with people before they spill some of their trade secrets. Sima is very cheap in my eyes for what it has gave me and if you don't like it don't renew your membership. The Sima membership is less then most guys bill a ton of salt out for so it shouldn't be a deal breaker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.