adding sides to v box

OBRYANMAINT

PlowSite.com Veteran
i would like to greaten the capicity of my v-box spreader and did not know how high i could make the sides?
manufacturers usually only offer 6" extensions so that gives me a start.

assuming that i can support the v box properly, i am guessing a foot or a bit more would go!?

spreadator 8'

Rooster

I have a highway spreader. I added boards to mine 2X6 and 2X10 to another highway spreader a friend of mine owns.

I made custom brackets for both.

I take some pictures and post so you can see the outcome.

Rick

Mick

PlowSite.com Veteran
OBRYANMAINT, assuming your truck can handle it, you should be fine adding a 2x12 as an extension (I plan on using full dimension 1x12 with bracing avery 4'). It's just that a 12" extension would add 32 cubic ft or 1.2 cu yrd. Considering that V-boxes often get put on 3/4 or one ton SRW trucks, I'd say the manufacturer is considering liability with limiting to a 6" extension.

OP
OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT

PlowSite.com Veteran
I was concerned with the v-box handling the extra weight we will be using a smaller v-box that was in a pickup on a one ton so truck capicity also is no issue but i would like to utulize a tool i already have verses buying new......Yea i was thinking some 12" extensions!

plowking35

2000 Club Member
I added a 2x8 around the top of my smith unit and it has served me very well. I would not doubt that a 2x12 would well also.
Dino

landman

We extended all of our Vboxes. We used 2x12 lumber, and ordered corner brackets from northern, we then attached u brackets to hold 2x4 to hold the 2x12 in place. total extension costabout $30.00.

Top Forums