Adding 2 more plows for 2018 Tundras

tynado2

Will be plowing car dealership lots and currently have the Boss HTX V plow for my 2015 Tundra 4x4 with the 5.7. Adding two 2018 Tundra 1/2 tons with the smaller V8 (4.6) and 4x4 to the fleet. Sticking with Boss, should i do the HTX V or HTX straight blade. And if straight blade, 7'6" or 7'0" and steel or poly?
Thanks for your suggestions.

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
If you are used to the HTX V already, any of the straight blades will definitely feel like a step down and you'll probably hate yourself for choosing one every time you use it and wished it could do something it isn't capable of.

But, if you want a straight blade anyway, definitely 7.5' for that size truck. And either poly or stainless. Stainless is more popular but the case can be made that the poly is better.

OP
T

tynado2

I'm keeping the V for myself and these 2 new (parts delivery trucks) designated plow trucks will be operated by parts drivers / newbies that I will have to train. Wondering if straight blades will just be easier for them to operate or I'm just overthinking this and just get 2 more V's. Also wondering how the smaller v8s will do with the heavier V. Think its 490lbs compared to 416lb poly straight. But for parking lots with plenty of obstacles (new cars) would straight or V be better? I've only been plowing for 4 years and went from skid steer to V plow so never really used a straight edge on the truck.

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
I don't plow, so I'll let someone else weigh in, but I suspect that the newbies would have an easier time with the V, despite the learning curve of working the wings, thanks to the added maneuverability in tight areas.

On that new Tundra, you'll likely see no difference in the sagging on the front from that 70 lb difference.

rizzoa13

I dislike the controller on the boss V so much that I’d rather use a straight blade any day. For in between rows of cars a V is much more efficient as someone else stated but I really hate that the boss V doesn’t lock into straight blade mode.

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
I dislike the controller on the boss V so much that I’d rather use a straight blade any day. For in between rows of cars a V is much more efficient as someone else stated but I really hate that the boss V doesn’t lock into straight blade mode.

You do know that if you hit the 2 left side buttons or 2 right side buttons, it'll angle like a straight blade, right?

NYH1

PlowSite Veteran
The thing to keep in mind is that a V plow can always be used as a straight plow....it doesn't go the other way though.

What part of the country are you in? Buying a new half ton truck with plowing as one of it's primary uses doesn't make a lot of sense, unless you don't get much snow.

NYH1.

rizzoa13

You do know that if you hit the 2 left side buttons or 2 right side buttons, it'll angle like a straight blade, right?

Yea I’m just not a fan of having to hold the two buttons together to make it move like that. My other truck has joysticks for up/down and left/right on a straight blade and it’s just much more intuitive and comfortable to use.

OP
T

tynado2

In Virginia and the only dealership we have that sells trucks is Toyota so we are limited to Tundras. Also, they will be used as parts delivery trucks the rest of the time.

rizzoa13

Ok I don’t know why I haven’t thought of that but that joystick seems pretty nice. I’m not in that truck anymore so I’m not too concerned but it’s a real good idea.

NYH1

PlowSite Veteran
In Virginia and the only dealership we have that sells trucks is Toyota so we are limited to Tundras. Also, they will be used as parts delivery trucks the rest of the time.
I'm in Central New Yorkistan and bought my new truck from Don White’s Timonium Dodge/Ram in Cockeysville Maryland (just north of Bal Ti More). You always have options my friend.

Good luck, NYH1.

Top Forums